Forward pitched RF. Performance fit or anatomical reason

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Forward pitched RF. Performance fit or anatomical reason

Post by VLe »

Referring to this article and drilling card:
http://www.kegel.net/wpa/2016/3/14/8q1j ... sk7at23ngg

I was just wondering the reason behind this type of drilling (E.G Jason Couch's layout). Under what circumstances would you start experimenting to drill the ball this way for a certain type of bowler? What is the difference between adding forward to RF vs. lenghtening the span and possibly adding reverse to it. Just to be mentioned that this topic is not about copying Couch's drilling but understanding the pitch-effect-relationship.

Part of the performance fittings for low track players (right hander) would basically be to add lateral right to both fingers, reverse to MF and forward to RF but that doesnt necessarily seem to be the case here. Couch uses 7/16 laterals for both fingers and lots of forward pitch in the thumb especially considering this layout is not very "modern" age. He has 11/16" more forward in his RF. He has also longis'h spans considering the pitches.

I've done some experiments for old balls. One of the reasons is my low track. It also seems to place the ball closer to my palm and I get more control to it. I get more lift without doing anything if that is the correct way to explain. My RF is a lot more flexible than MF and it naturally bends a lot towards thumb base. One thing I have noticed is that if the span for RF is even a little bit short, the ball starts to drop to the thumb side and I start gripping the ball. I'm torn between this way and the opposite: drilling CLT fingers using lot more reverse in fingers by ibpsia/adt guidelines.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand