Polishing Blocks used in Ball Conditioning Machines

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Polishing Blocks used in Ball Conditioning Machines

Post by Glenn »

Both of bowling centers in my area have ball conditioning machines (similar to the ZOT). In one center, the lane conditioning guy really brags up using them. In his machines, he's using the Tech-Line UltraBuff polishing compound blocks. And, a good many bowlers swear by them. Of course, the local pro shop guy doesn't like them, and claims the stuff clogs the ball surfaces.

To me, using them is an unknown, and I don't like using something whose specifications are not known as I don't know what surface results. Questions I have include:

1. What is the grit rating of the compound?
2. Is the compound a diminishing compound?
3. You buy the amount of time on the machines. How does time affect the result (I assume shinier and smoother)?
4. At what point would you want to resurface the ball before using these machines as your finishing step?

Can anyone enlighten me on this product and its use in these conditioning machines?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Polishing Blocks used in Ball Conditioning Machines

Post by bowl1820 »

Glenn wrote: 4. At what point would you want to resurface the ball before using these machines as your finishing step?
I would Probably never use the polisher at the lanes for any step , the only time I might use the polisher is for my plastic ball.

Here some info on the product

UltraBuff™ Ball Polishing Compound
• features a hybrid blend of wax and polishing compounds. this technology produces an ultra high gloss on any type of bowling ball.

WAX right there is the reason not to use it, it would be plugging up the pores.

Several years back they put a new compound block (Either blue genie or green genie) in the machine at a house near here. It killed every ball that it got used on, they had to sand every ball to get the stuff off.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

yea plastic or rubber balls were what those machines were designed for. they should get rid of them or just use it on your spare ball.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I went searching for additional information on other bowling sites, and the opinions very from "it works in some situations" to "stay away from it". I tried it on one ball and it went "dead"; I took it home and re-surfaced it.

There are different compound and polish blocks available for those old machines (remember the Lustre King). The opinion is that most of them that are wax-based will clog the pores on new, highly-porous cover-stocks on today's high-tech balls. The wax-based compounds could put on some serious shine, but will reduce the hook potential. I guess there are some blocks that are not wax-based polishing blocks, but I haven't looked into them.

The product information states "this technology produces an ultra high-gloss on ANY TYPE of bowling ball". The lane man at my center contends that the UltraBuff product doesn't clog the ball, but he hasn't provided me documentation to support his claim.

And, then there's this product promotion: “Not only does UltraBuff™ do a great job polishing, but it also gives the ball a little more skid-snap reaction. I have started using it on my own equipment with very good results and our customers are very happy also.” ~ Rich Orf (Ray Orf’s Pro Shop)

As stated here, they are good for spare balls/plastic or a weak ball (urethane) you want to go really long. But bowlers in my center are using these things on higher performance balls and liking the result!? I guess they can be an option to help SOME of your equipment tackle drier lanes.