Balance hole placement

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

rgessert
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" x 1 1/8" Up
Speed: 18.5 camera
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Melee Hook
Medium Oil Ball: Chemical X/IQ 30
Light Oil Ball: Tropical Breeze

Balance hole placement

Post by rgessert »

I am trying to understand balance hole placement a little better. I hobby drill and sometimes struggle to know exactly where to put the balance hole to get back to statically legal. I read a a site that one method is to put it on the val based if a line connecting center of grip thru cg. Is this method in anyway correct?
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Re: Balance hole placement

Post by Dustin »

* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
rgessert
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" x 1 1/8" Up
Speed: 18.5 camera
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Melee Hook
Medium Oil Ball: Chemical X/IQ 30
Light Oil Ball: Tropical Breeze

Post by rgessert »

I understand this method (maybe). The part I struggle with is a full understanding of exactly where to place the hole if say the layout leaves 2oz of side and 2 oz finger. The cg is up and to the right of the center of grip. What process do you use to located the exact location of the hole?
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

rgessert wrote:I understand this method (maybe). The part I struggle with is a full understanding of exactly where to place the hole if say the layout leaves 2oz of side and 2 oz finger. The cg is up and to the right of the center of grip. What process do you use to located the exact location of the hole?
In this case you would have to place the balance hole above the mid grip line on the positive side of the ball in order to remove enough finger and side weight to get the ball to balance. You already went through the process of finding where the excess weight is the next step is to remove the weight from that quadrant of the ball. You can determine your quadrants by drawing the vertical grip line and then a mid grip line perpendicular to the vertical grip line. This will give you 4 quadrants as where to remove weight. Most of the time on the "positive" side in either the finger or thumb quadrant. In the Wiki under Drilling there is 2 Label Shift Weight Calculators and also a Weight Removal Chart that may help.

Now before I get blast for my wording, I understand a bowling ball is a sphere and may not have used the correct mathematical terms but my wording hopefully served its purpose.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

If you want to put the ball back to legal weight without altering the dynamics, use either P2-balance hole or drill the finger hole/holes deeper depending on the situation.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand