Tip of thumb sore

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

StormFan
Preferred Company: Storm

Tip of thumb sore

Post by StormFan »

My daughter just picked up the game after about a 2 year layoff and she has one ball that causes the tip of her thumb on the palm side to get very red and sore. I haven't checked to see if there are differences in pitches between the three balls but I suspect there is. Is there anything specific I can check for?

Thanx in advance...
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Tip of thumb sore

Post by MegaMav »

If there is a crescent on the pad of the thumb, its from squeezing due to poor fit and a large thumb hole.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Tip of thumb sore

Post by TonyPR »

How old is your daughter? If she is still growing check her grip everytime she goes up in shoe size or if you can every three months. My daughter is 11 and from May to September her spans increased almost 1/4". Rub on thumb pad tip sounds like span is too short, also make sure she is inserting her thumb all the way in until it starts to taper out towards the palm knuckle. Visit an IBPSIA certified pro shop in your area, these things are better dealt with in person so the pso can look at her hand and watch her bowl. If you don't know where to go post your location and someone here will recommend a trustworthy pro shop. Finally, if you have to drive a long distance to get a proper fit do it, it is very well worth it.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent