Armadillo

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

thor849

Armadillo

Post by thor849 »

I just picked one up from a shop that is closing, I know it is mainly used for locating PAP, but are there some other uses besides to use it for a conquistador costume for Halloween? I believe I read somewhere that a guy was using it to measure tilt, but can't remember where I read it.
Member of Lordfield Pro Shop Staff
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Armadillo

Post by kellytehuna »

Yes, sir! You can indeed use it measure tilt AND you can do that WHILE you're finding the PAP! Two in one! YAY!

Basically, once you've found the line that parallels the section of the track you've marked and marked your PAP, find the difference between the dotted line in the middle of the armadillo, (which is the 6 3/4" mark from the PAP and represents a 13 1/2" track diameter and 0° tilt) and the line that parallels your line, using the measurements on the side. Every 0.5" change is a track diameter difference of 1" and every 1" change in diameter makes for 7° of tilt. Double that number and multiply by 7. The resulting number will be your tilt measurement :)

Eg. If your line segment parallels the 8.5" line, the difference between 6.75" and 8.5" = 1.75". Double that to get 3.5". 7° x 3.5 gives you 23 1/3° tilt. To confirm that, subtracting 3.5" from 13.5" gives you a 10" diameter, which gives you 24° tilt according to the chart in the wiki.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

kellytehuna wrote:Yes, sir! You can indeed use it measure tilt AND you can do that WHILE you're finding the PAP! Two in one! YAY!

Basically, once you've found the line that parallels the section of the track you've marked and marked your PAP, find the difference between the dotted line in the middle of the armadillo, (which is the 6 3/4" mark from the PAP and represents a 13 1/2" track diameter and 0° tilt) and the line that parallels your line, using the measurements on the side. Every 0.5" change is a track diameter difference of 1" and every 1" change in diameter makes for 7° of tilt. Double that number and multiply by 7. The resulting number will be your tilt measurement :)

Eg. If your line segment parallels the 8.5" line, the difference between 6.75" and 8.5" = 1.75". Double that to get 3.5". 7° x 3.5 gives you 23 1/3° tilt. To confirm that, subtracting 3.5" from 13.5" gives you a 10" diameter, which gives you 24° tilt according to the chart in the wiki.
GOOD WORK, KIWI!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

So I'm not the only one to wear it like a helmet? ;)
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Below are instructions for the various uses of the Armadillo that I've posted before on several forums, but not this one. The X" x Y" layout method is "old hat", superceded by the Dual Angle method, but I left the explanation in just in case it might be helpful to someone. By the way, Mo designed the Armadillo. -- JohnP

To locate a player's PAP, mark the initial track on the ball with a
white or yellow layout pencil. Match up one of the track lines on
the 'dillo with the line on the ball (if none of them match exactly,
estimate between the lines) and mark the PAP at the locator end of
the 'dillo. To lay a ball out, let's say a 4 x 5 layout -- place the
4" line on the 'dillo on the pin AND the 5" line on the cg or mb.
Mark the PAP for the layout at the locator end and proceed as usual
from there. To draw a true perpendicular line to an existing line,
line up the dashed line on the 'dillo with the line on the ball,
placing the straight edge of the 'dillo where you want the line and
draw it.

To find tilt, when you line the 'dillo up to locate the PAP, count how many track rings the line you're using is away from the dotted line. The dotted line is a full roller track or 13 1/2" diameter. The first ring away from the dotted track is a diameter reduction of 1/2", or 13" diameter. Each subsequent ring is a reduction of 1" in diameter, so the next one would be 12", then 11", etc. When you have the diameter you just go to the chart for diameter versus tilt. If you don't have that chart, look on buddiesproshop.com in their Technical section, under asymmetrical layouts.

Note: My original post contained errors in the track diameters for the subsequent rings, I have corrected them.
Last edited by JohnP on October 3rd, 2010, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:Below are instructions for the various uses of the Armadillo that I've posted before on several forums, but not this one. The X" x Y" layout method is "old hat", superceded by the Dual Angle method, but I left the explanation in just in case it might be helpful to someone. By the way, Mo designed the Armadillo. -- JohnP

To locate a player's PAP, mark the initial track on the ball with a
white or yellow layout pencil. Match up one of the track lines on
the 'dillo with the line on the ball (if none of them match exactly,
estimate between the lines) and mark the PAP at the locator end of
the 'dillo. To lay a ball out, let's say a 4 x 5 layout -- place the
4" line on the 'dillo on the pin AND the 5" line on the cg or mb.
Mark the PAP for the layout at the locator end and proceed as usual
from there. To draw a true perpendicular line to an existing line,
line up the dashed line on the 'dillo with the line on the ball,
placing the straight edge of the 'dillo where you want the line and
draw it.

To find tilt, when you line the 'dillo up to locate the PAP, count how many track rings the line you're using is away from the dotted line. The dotted line is a full roller track or 13 1/2" diameter. The first ring away from the dotted track is a diameter reduction of 1/2", or 13" diameter. Each subsequent ring is a reduction of 1" in diameter, so the next one would be 11", then 10", etc. When you have the diameter you just go to the chart for diameter versus tilt. If you don't have that chart, look on buddiesproshop.com in their Technical section, under asymmetrical layouts.
Thanks for the help, John.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

I'm glad to share, many people don't realize how versatile the Armadillo is. -- JohnP
Xact1
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Over by 3/4 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by Xact1 »

Mo Pinel wrote:

JohnP,
Am I missing something here, or did you mean that each subsequent ring is a 1" reduction in diameter, so that the next one should be 12 and not 11, and 11 and not 10?

Thanks for posting this information on additional uses of the Armadillo!
Gary Palma
X-act Reaction Pro Shop
Brunswick/DV8/Radical Professional Staff
Ebonite Gold Pro Shop
Rotogrip Star Pro Shop
http://www.xactreaction.com

Performance fitting, bowling ball selection and layouts for YOUR game!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Xact1 wrote:
JohnP,
Am I missing something here, or did you mean that each subsequent ring is a 1" reduction in diameter, so that the next one should be 12 and not 11, and 11 and not 10?

Thanks for posting this information on additional uses of the Armadillo!

No, you're right - I must have had a brain explosion when I wrote the numbers. I went back and corrected my original post, hope I didn't mess anyone up. -- JohnP
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

One additional comment, if you use your Armadillo for finding tilt regularly, you can use a Sharpie to mark each ring with the corresponding axis tilt so you don't have to go to the chart every time. -- JohnP
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

JohnP wrote:I'm glad to share, many people don't realize how versatile the Armadillo is. -- JohnP
I got the Armadillo about 6 weeks ago. Saves a lot of time, easy to use, & VERY handy!
Should have got one a long time ago. Didn't really know how useful it was till I watched the clip in the Wiki.

Thank you all for all the info.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson