Read about CLT lately.

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

Read about CLT lately.

Post by deadlyaim1 »

As I was going through Wiki, I found a PDF file explaining what CLT actually is and how one can use it. I gave it a read 2 or 3 times so I could gather what was explained.

It says that it does feel better and hand lays on the ball more flatter. Tha sounds great, at least in theory. And since it's on wiki, it must have been recommended by bowling's great minds like Mo for example, yet I didn't find many recommending it.

IMHO, it makes a lot of sense. Now the questions are few that came to mind.

1. Is it really a better option than how usually I've seen people drill?
2. If so than how come a lot of drilling is not done using the technique?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Read about CLT lately.

Post by bowl1820 »

deadlyaim1 wrote: It says that it does feel better and hand lays on the ball more flatter. That sounds great, at least in theory.
I had it done a few years back, when I had my grip redone. The ball sat better in my hand and my fingers sat against the grip better, more evenly.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

bowl1820 wrote:
I had it done a few years back, when I had my grip redone. The ball sat better in my hand and my fingers sat against the grip better, more evenly.

Do you still use it? Did it improve your overall pin count over the period of time?
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

deadlyaim1 wrote:As I was going through Wiki, I found a PDF file explaining what CLT actually is and how one can use it. I gave it a read 2 or 3 times so I could gather what was explained.

It says that it does feel better and hand lays on the ball more flatter. Tha sounds great, at least in theory. And since it's on wiki, it must have been recommended by bowling's great minds like Mo for example, yet I didn't find many recommending it.

IMHO, it makes a lot of sense. Now the questions are few that came to mind.

1. Is it really a better option than how usually I've seen people drill?
2. If so than how come a lot of drilling is not done using the technique?
1. The Wikifit uses the CLT without having to take the ball off of the center line. If you uses inserts, you just line the insert up with your CLT angle and you're set.

You might take a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1270&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Ballspinner is John Jameson and is the President of Innovative and Vise Grips. He details in the thread the best method I've ever experienced for fitting. Also in that thread, Mo explains that the fan line takes the CLT and transposes it to the center line for convenience.

2. A lot of people still don't use dual angles. A lot of people are slow to change.

2. Tradition and stubbornness?
James Talley
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Many drillers use 3/8 L, 3/8 R for everyone unless you specify you want something else. They don't want to give up their precious time to find out your fan chart angle or rotate the ball on the jig to align to a CLT...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Drill and pitch the finger holes registered to the CLT.
This aligns the linear and lateral pitches with the bowler's hand anatomy.
It makes a noticeable difference in the fit, and subsequent adjustments to the pitches are more predictable.

For 31/32 inserts, I use .5625" left and .4375 right for a strong bridge, and this keeps the finger holes aligned with the finger bones.
.375 left and right for those that do not use inserts.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

The fan chart in the Wiki Fit will allow you to get CLT pitches while drilling off the grip centerline. We teach it in the Pro Shop Training Class at Innovative.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

TonyPR wrote:Many drillers use 3/8 L, 3/8 R for everyone unless you specify you want something else. They don't want to give up their precious time to find out your fan chart angle or rotate the ball on the jig to align to a CLT...
Opinion
Tony, what you wrote emphasizes the wisdom that "knowledge is power".
We know that the availability of knowledge is why this forum is so very valuable.
Education is the key.
You being an informed Bowler, walking into a pro shop possessed of the knowledge if treated as you described might ask if they were aware of the method, if they purport ignorance, refer them here.
If you hear of customers getting less that what they should be getting, refer them here.
Word will get around.
The goal is not to say the driller is a bad guy, the goal is over all improvement of services rendered.
The word of good device goes around too.

If I'm a pro shop and an educated one, I want my customers to understand the whys and when's.
This can be done with references or in advertisement in the local Bowling paper.

We want people to succeed, to enjoy, and to play this game for life.

No BS, no Bullyrsging, just Bowling.
So glad I found this place, wish it was here 30 years ago and I found it then.

Let people know about this font of knowledge!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Thanks all Specially Mo for taking the time to explain. It's great. Now I understand it like never before. You guys are awesome.

If I may, here is what I learned from this forum and Wiki.

A Ball is a non living object, a mere Sphere. Thus it follows laws of physics and laws of Geometry can be applied on it to make it behave a certain way.

Hence Dual Angle Layout technique always works, as far as the Ball motion is concerned. As far as the shape of shot is concerned.

On the other hand, every individual, being a living creature, is different and his or her body is created uniquely and he or she may not follow some rules, as they are laid out. Therefore, IMHO, Fitting Guide must be used as a starting point and then tweaks can be applied to taylor fitting each individual according to his or her specific characteristics.

I found out that I was in between line A and B. Some times my hand is more towards Line A, some times, more towards Line B. I did both in drilling and none felt perfect. So I started experimenting with Finger Pitches. I found out that the most comfortable I was with 3/16 Rt and 1/2 Lt.

I was educated here on Forum and on Wiki and based on that knowledge, I was able make adjustments to fit my Unique Needs in order to achieve maximum comfort.

I thank all of the Gurus here who explain it so well. Like this post. I can talk about CLT with a lot of confidence, after all these responses.

This forum is a Must for bowlers, no doubt.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

CLT is standard procedure at my main shop. Been doing it for a few years now. Very positive results as I explain it as a methodology and thus the customers understand, accept and appreciate it and the time taken to explain it.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.