Thumbnail pain, hitchhiker's thumb...

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Thumbnail pain, hitchhiker's thumb...

Post by snick »

TonyPR wrote:Hello Snick. Do you mean like in the ADT? Should I use Thumb to RF CLT or measure my ACL on paper and use that angle (25* in my case) for my thumb CLT instead of using it for the fingers CLT?
Innovative recommends that the thumb be drilled 90º to the oval angle.
ADT recommends thumb ACL through center of ring finger if you use inserts, or between ring and pinky if you don't use inserts.
I punt and use a 10º angle from the thumb span line.

Your finger CLT is based on the thumb, so I'd drill and fit the thumb first, then measure the finger CLT with thumb inserted.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

alzgarvin wrote:I have a few bowlers with hitch hiker thumbs. My best solution has been to make an escape hatch for the nail at the back of the hole where the nail drags coming out. This will be at the back of the hole and does not cause any looseness of thumb fit or feel. It is usually just one of the edges of the nail so it won't take much of a groove. I tried some pitch and span changes with one bowler which just made him throw it worse and release woes. Fit is important , but it looks to me like you are spot on, If nails are pressed against back of grips with thumb fully inserted you may be long spanned, but pics look like you are close unless you are over stretching when the line is on the grip edge. Crease of finger appears to be right in middle of hole which is good. Make an escape groove in the back and have at it.
Sorry for interrupting. What is escape hatch or groove?
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Problem solved, no pressure/pain on thumbnail at release, span was too long.
Went from:
MF 4", 3/8" Rev
RF 4 3/16", 1/2" Rev
Thumb 1/8" Forward, 1/8" Right

To:
MF 3 7/8", 1/4 Rev
RF 3 7/8", 1/2" Rev
Thumb same

Now on to work on my release... I can get it right 50% of the time... Two handed, no thumb was easier, thumb timing = left hand timing...
Maybe I should try a Wiki fit again now that I have fixed my sweaty/sticky thumb problem... if only I knew how to get the spans right :D viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
gunderoo

Post by gunderoo »

I've had pain/tenderness at left (outer) edge of right thumb nail. Seems it is from the end of nail pressing against inside of thumbhole. Pro shop changing pitch of hole made it less painful, but it still persists. I don't grip tight or loose... but 3 games makes pain unbearable.
Finally it dawns on me that I have a bump on the corresponding location (in line with the tender nail area) of the thumb knuckle closest to the nail (from unrelated injury long ago).
Simple mechanics shows when my thumb is inserted into the hole, the bump forces the knuckle down (so as to straighten the thumb) - which makes the end of thumb nail press against hole as it straightens. Like seesaw action. Bump down, tip up.
So now I will confer with hand surgeon to evaluate options on eliminating bump. Alternative is to enlarge hole for bump, and use tape to improve fit away from the knuckle bump. Never used tape before, but seems like it may be possible to work around the bump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.