New Ball Advice

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

New Ball Advice

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Hey guys. Here is a question for you.

Recently, the owner of the Alley I Bowl in, has decided to save some bucks, so he is putting the oil less number of times and in lesser quantities than before. Hence, when I bowl, I find the lanes a lot more drier than before and with some carry down as well. My current equipment jumps too much when it's really dry, so I'm thinking of getting a Urethane ball to coup up with the situation.

I'm Rt Hander, with Dry Skin. High Track, Lower Rev (275 or so) and lower speed (14 or so), 14 deg of Tilt and 45 to 50 deg of rotation. I like to play track and "down and in" mostly. I'm afraid I'm not a very consistent bowler. Average around 170 to 180, on a good night with some oil, I can shoot 210 or so, but seldom cross 200.

I thus need help in layout department. I have my eyes on Hammer Red Hammer.

Any suggestions. Please....
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Re: New Ball Advice

Post by ads »

What are the layouts of your current arsenal and their reaction down lane?

It may be better to adjust the dual angles from what you have, than to work out new numbers to test.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

ads wrote:What are the layouts of your current arsenal and their reaction down lane?

It may be better to adjust the dual angles from what you have, than to work out new numbers to test.
I have CRUX with 70 x 4" x 45
I have Rocket with same Layout
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

deadlyaim1 wrote:Hey guys. Here is a question for you.

Recently, the owner of the Alley I Bowl in, has decided to save some bucks, so he is putting the oil less number of times and in lesser quantities than before. Hence, when I bowl, I find the lanes a lot more drier than before and with some carry down as well. My current equipment jumps too much when it's really dry, so I'm thinking of getting a Urethane ball to coup up with the situation.

I'm Rt Hander, with Dry Skin. High Track, Lower Rev (275 or so) and lower speed (14 or so), 14 deg of Tilt and 45 to 50 deg of rotation. I like to play track and "down and in" mostly. I'm afraid I'm not a very consistent bowler. Average around 170 to 180, on a good night with some oil, I can shoot 210 or so, but seldom cross 200.

I thus need help in layout department. I have my eyes on Hammer Red Hammer.

Any suggestions. Please....
Red Hammer? the original one? I had one back in the day. Not a dry lane ball, it was my hooking ball for oilier conditions.

http://www.bowlingballvault.com/compani ... red-hammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can be more help if I new exactly what ball your thinking about.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

EricHartwell wrote:
Red Hammer? the original one? I had one back in the day. Not a dry lane ball, it was my hooking ball for oilier conditions.

http://www.bowlingballvault.com/compani ... red-hammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can be more help if I new exactly what ball your thinking about.
OK. So I once had Storm Natural Pearl. It was a good ball, but I wasn't a good bowler then.

How about Pitch Black? Would it work? Or Burgundy Hammer. Instead of this, I wrote Red Hammer by mistake.

So out of these 3, Natural Pearl, Burgundy Hammer, and Pitch Black. Which one would suite my style?

My PAP is 4 and 7/8 over, and 1/2 Up
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

deadlyaim1 wrote:
OK. So I once had Storm Natural Pearl. It was a good ball, but I wasn't a good bowler then.

How about Pitch Black? Would it work? Or Burgundy Hammer. Instead of this, I wrote Red Hammer by mistake.

So out of these 3, Natural Pearl, Burgundy Hammer, and Pitch Black. Which one would suite my style?

My PAP is 4 and 7/8 over, and 1/2 Up
The Natural pearl would be the the choice for the driest conditions. The pitch black next then the Burgundy which is actually listed for med to heavy conditions.
Another choice could be the Storm Joy Ride with the same layout as you have on the Rocket.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

EricHartwell wrote:
The Natural pearl would be the the choice for the driest conditions. The pitch black next then the Burgundy which is actually listed for med to heavy conditions.
Another choice could be the Storm Joy Ride with the same layout as you have on the Rocket.

Thanks dear. Very helpful comments. So here is what I think I would get. Please advise, as I might have gotten all this all wrong.

3 Ball Arsenal.

A. Super Natural for Drier Lanes. (Natural Pearl not available onLine) 70 x 4" x 30
B. Either Arson High Flare or HyRoad 60 x 4" x 20 or 60 x 4" x 30, and
C. White Dot for right sided spares

I can go with a forth ball too as there definitely a hole in it, but I'm trying not to break the bank. But if some of the pros deem it necessary, then I'll be willing to get a forth one also.

OR

If any pro here thinks it is all wrong, then, that's alright, as it can very well be all wrong. I'm not a Pro, so I am willing to learn. If that is the case, please advise.

Thanks
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

There's a gaping hole in your arsenal between the SuperNatural and Hyroad.
Tropical Breeze Carbon/Chrome, or possibly the Joyride, might provide a stronger backend reaction on dry lanes. With your specs, you will have no problem getting a clean skid on dry lanes with the Breeze.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

snick wrote:There's a gaping hole in your arsenal between the SuperNatural and Hyroad.
Tropical Breeze Carbon/Chrome, or possibly the Joyride, might provide a stronger backend reaction on dry lanes. With your specs, you will have no problem getting a clean skid on dry lanes with the Breeze.
Yes dear. There is a hole. OK. So instead of Super Natural, I will get Tropical Breeze. Other is Hyroad.

Who can suggest a ball in between these 2?
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

deadlyaim1 wrote:Hey guys. Here is a question for you.

Recently, the owner of the Alley I Bowl in, has decided to save some bucks, so he is putting the oil less number of times and in lesser quantities than before.
Mo Pinel wrote: Where the hell is this going on? Putting 22mls of oil on a lane costs about 50 cents a lane.
Flip the owner $10 and tell them that should cover the extra oil on 100 lanes!! ;)
Sounds like the owner has much bigger problems than the cost of lane conditioner.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

deadlyaim1 wrote:
Yes dear. There is a hole. OK. So instead of Super Natural, I will get Tropical Breeze. Other is Hyroad.

Who can suggest a ball in between these 2?
Storm Ride or Arson Low Flare.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

snick wrote:
Storm Ride or Arson Low Flare.

Great. I think I'll get Arson Low Flare. Any particular suggestion regarding lay out based on my specs?
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Dustin wrote:

Flip the owner $10 and tell them that should cover the extra oil on 100 lanes!! ;)
Sounds like the owner has much bigger problems than the cost of lane conditioner.
Just trying to add a little humour, a low diff. ball will help a lot. Another option would be a Motiv Graffiti Tag, great length with pop on the end. Didn't care for it on fresh at a demo but after the lanes were bowled on for 2 hours I loved the look I got with the Tag.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson