Drilling Finger Holes.

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

Drilling Finger Holes.

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Hey guys. I have seen different Drillers using different techniques for drilling Finger Holes. Let me explain what I mean by that.

I once saw a Driller doing this. He aligned the ball under the Bit so that the Bit was over Grip Center Line. Then for MF, he moved the platform to right untill the right edge of drill bit was aligned with the bridge line, he then rotated the bit 90 Degs and aligned the leading edge of the bit with the cut line. Once aligned, he then dialed in the pitch, adjusted the ball with hands to make sure that right edge of drill bit was aligned with bridge line, rotated the bit 90 Degs, aligned cut line with the bit, locked the ball and drilled MF hole.

He then brought his platform back to 0 0. Put the ball so that the bit was now exactly over the center line. Moved the platform left untill the left edge of the bit was aligned with the bridge line, rotated the bit 90 Degs, aligned the leading edge of the bit with the cut line. He then dialed in the Pitches, adjusted the ball with hands to realign the bit with bridge and cut line, and then drilled the RF hole.

Another driller drilled it like a Thumb Hole, put the ball straight underneath the bit, adjusted the ball manually so that the right edge of the Bit was aligned with the bridge line, rotated the Bit 90 Degs, aligned it with the cut line.

He then dialed in the Pitches, re aligned the ball by moving it with hands so it was aligned again. Locked the ball and drilled.

After he drilled the MF hole, he brought his platform to 0 0. Aligned the left edge of bit to the left sided bridge line, rotated bit to 90 Degs, aligned the leading leading edge with cut line. Dialed the Pitches in, adjusted the ball so that the Bit was again aligned with Left sided bridge and cut lines, and drilled the RF hole.

Who did it the right way?
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Re: Drilling Finger Holes.

Post by Dustin »

Set pitches, line up bit to edge of bridge and cut line for span, drill. This might be wrong but this is the way I drill finger holes.
I maybe different with different types of jigs.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

Re: Drilling Finger Holes.

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Dustin wrote:Set pitches, line up bit to edge of bridge and cut line for span, drill. This might be wrong but this is the way I drill finger holes.
I maybe different with different types of jigs.
Did exactly that. Perfect way. Dial In, Align, Drill. Bring back to 0 and 0, Repeat.

Thanks. Problem solved