These points hurt

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

These points hurt

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Below is the illustration where a bowler's fingers and thumb hurts when he bowls.

Point A. Doesn't swell much but starts hurting really bad after few frames are bowled.

Point B. Hurts less but swells a lot. It needs to be scrapped quite often or doesn't come out easily, and then hurts a little more too.

Point C. Becomes hard and hurts a little.

Point D. Doesn't hurt at all, but has a small rounded callous.

Bowler uses Sarge Easter Grip. Span is like this. MF 4 and 1/8 with 1/8 Forward, 3/8 Lt Lateral. RF 3 and 5/16 with 5/8 Reverse and 3/8 Rt Lateral. Thumb with 1/8 Reverse and 3/8 Rt Lateral.

Seeking comments and suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadlyaim1

Re: These points hurt

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Can someone help please?
moonlightPS
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 right, 1.5 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Strom and RotoGrip

Post by moonlightPS »

For me fitting is very personal. So please understand that without seeing the hand there many variables not being taken into account. On the fingers, I would "guess" the pitches need to move to the right or the holes / grips are too tight. On the thumb, I would again "guess" the thumb hole should be an oval, and possibly a little left pitch.

My real recommendation is to have IBPSIA PSO look at the hand and the ball to provide an accurate fit recommendation.
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

moonlightPS wrote:For me fitting is very personal. So please understand that without seeing the hand there many variables not being taken into account. On the fingers, I would "guess" the pitches need to move to the right or the holes / grips are too tight. On the thumb, I would again "guess" the thumb hole should be an oval, and possibly a little left pitch.

My real recommendation is to have IBPSIA PSO look at the hand and the ball to provide an accurate fit recommendation.

Thanks my dear. But I belong to a place where there is no Pro Shop Operator available in the entire country, let alone city.

Let me try to get the Pitches corrected as you suggested. I'll plug and drill, and report back. I'll just wait for few more suggestions.
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

deadlyaim1 wrote:Below is the illustration where a bowler's fingers and thumb hurts when he bowls.

Point A. Doesn't swell much but starts hurting really bad after few frames are bowled.

Point B. Hurts less but swells a lot. It needs to be scrapped quite often or doesn't come out easily, and then hurts a little more too.

Point C. Becomes hard and hurts a little.

Point D. Doesn't hurt at all, but has a small rounded callous.

Bowler uses Sarge Easter Grip. Span is like this. MF 4 and 1/8 with 1/8 Forward, 3/8 Lt Lateral. RF 3 and 5/16 with 5/8 Reverse and 3/8 Rt Lateral. Thumb with 1/8 Reverse and 3/8 Rt Lateral.

Seeking comments and suggestions.
moonlightPS is correct, but since that's not really an option...

Points A and B are probably due to squeezing. Either that or the hole is too tight or more likely, the pitches are off.

This post by Jim Merrell is relevant. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10396&p=80594#p80594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Points C & D are likely indications that more right lateral (or less left lateral) pitch is needed in both holes. I'd try adding 3/16" right to start. That'd make you MF 3/16 left, RF 9/16 right.

I would also make the MF span 4 1/16 and 1/8 Forward and make the thumb 1/4 Forward by 3/8 right.

So the new grip would be, MF 4 1/16, 3/16 Left x 1/8 Forward, RF 3 5/16, 9/16 Right x 5/8 Reverse, Thumb 3/8 Right x 1/4 Forward.

But that's just one man's opinion based on the pictures you've posted. Your mileage may vary.
James Talley
deadlyaim1

Post by deadlyaim1 »

Arkansas wrote: moonlightPS is correct, but since that's not really an option...

Points A and B are probably due to squeezing. Either that or the hole is too tight or more likely, the pitches are off.

This post by Jim Merrell is relevant. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10396&p=80594#p80594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Points C & D are likely indications that more right lateral (or less left lateral) pitch is needed in both holes. I'd try adding 3/16" right to start. That'd make you MF 3/16 left, RF 9/16 right.

I would also make the MF span 4 1/16 and 1/8 Forward and make the thumb 1/4 Forward by 3/8 right.

So the new grip would be, MF 4 1/16, 3/16 Left x 1/8 Forward, RF 3 5/16, 9/16 Right x 5/8 Reverse, Thumb 3/8 Right x 1/4 Forward.

But that's just one man's opinion based on the pictures you've posted. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks James. I took the suggestions. Went to Wiki. Read the Jim Merrell article.

Turned out, I had the spans all wrong. Read the Morich method 3 or four times, took out an old ball. Put thumb in, and marked my span.

It came out to 4 and 1/16 in MF and 3 in RF. The thumb is 105 deg bend backwards at the hinge. Skin is drier. Thumb average size in lengthmFan Chart shows I'm line B.

Now I need some advice on pitches. Help please.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

To be sure you've got your Sarge Easter spans and pitches correct, watch the video on Sarge Easter at brunsnick's site, link below. The video you want is in the bottom row, second from the left. -- JohnP

http://www.brunsnick.com/articles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;