Thumb molds vs thumb slugs

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

NickLaviolette
Preferred Company: Seismic

Thumb molds vs thumb slugs

Post by NickLaviolette »

I was looking to compare thumb molds vs thumb slugs so I could make a bit more informed decision. I was debating on trying a mold this time around, but I wanted feedback on them. Additionally, I wanted to know if they are compatible with the Vise IT?
Ryster

Re: Thumb molds vs thumb slugs

Post by Ryster »

NickLaviolette wrote:I was looking to compare thumb molds vs thumb slugs so I could make a bit more informed decision. I was debating on trying a mold this time around, but I wanted feedback on them. Additionally, I wanted to know if they are compatible with the Vise IT?
My PSO used thumb molds for me for a while several years ago, but I ultimately went back to standard thumb slugs. The molds never felt the same (they were always "off" a little). I don't know if that was due to the molded slugs being installed slightly different each time, or a result of the molding process itself (the PSO would indicate at times that the molded slugs weren't curing correctly and it took a few tries.)
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

I've never used a mold personally, but they can be used with the IT system.
Vise sells an IT ready for the mold, but you might get away with using a regular IT. Your PSO needs to size properly - a 1-1/4" mold would go into a 1-3/8" IT, etc. I've done this before, and the only "trick" is to not drill full depth into the IT; you need to drill a pilot around 15/16", then drill the hole for the mold to an appropriate depth.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
NickLaviolette
Preferred Company: Seismic

Post by NickLaviolette »

Thanks for the input, guys!
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

NickLaviolette wrote:I was looking to compare thumb molds vs thumb slugs so I could make a bit more informed decision. I was debating on trying a mold this time around, but I wanted feedback on them. Additionally, I wanted to know if they are compatible with the Vise IT?
Thumb molds will feel slightly different depending on what brand of plug was used.... each brand that I've had molds made from had a slightly different texture. Yes they do make sleeves (slugits) to accommodate both 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 molds. Have your PSO contact VISE.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician