Slowin ski drilling method

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Slowin ski drilling method

Post by snick »

I had three balls drilled before the pitch guideline was emailed to me.
My conversations with him on these matters left me feeling a bit nonplused.

For example, on the facebook group I asked about his finger pitch chart, since it recommended far less reverse pitch than I was currently using.
His response:
"Use the 1/2" & 1/4" that you like if they feel more comfortable as this is likely more accurate to your flexibility."
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

snick wrote:I had three balls drilled before the pitch guideline was emailed to me.
My conversations with him on these matters left me feeling a bit nonplused.

For example, on the facebook group I asked about his finger pitch chart, since it recommended far less reverse pitch than I was currently using.
His response:
"Use the 1/2" & 1/4" that you like if they feel more comfortable as this is likely more accurate to your flexibility."
Did you measure your starting finger pitches according to the finger pitch chart with your first finger joint completely relaxed and second joint in 90* degree angle? Also your fingers middle phalanx should be perpendicular to the back of your palm. This gave me totally opposite results as my pitches went from 1/8" reverse (in both fingers) to MF1/2" and RF3/4" reverse. I might be using even more reverse when i go to drill my next ball. Based on my experience, most people get more than 1/8" reverse when measuring the pitches this way. At least everyone i know.

Perhaps some day i will go and try the Mika Koivuniemi's style and drill one of my old balls with both fingers 1" reverse. Just for interest and to see how would it will affect when using ADT-style thumb pitches. :)
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Olfson
Preferred Company: N/A

Post by Olfson »

I actually recently tried this fitting - and I couldn't use it - the pitch for my thumb just didn't allow me to grip the ball, it just felt extremely odd. - and due to this, never threw a JoeSlow-ball.
So, I tried Billy Hall's Tri-grip, and at first loved it, then I realized (after slo-mo video) that I was unable to get my thumb out of the hole unless I pushed the ball off of my hand, which seemed fine, and un-noticeable[without the aid of video]... until I got tired, at which point: I shot terribly.
The reason why I liked the fit was because I couldn't physically break my wrist, I was always in a comfortable cupped-position --which is the actual downfall, because in a proper release, you cup your wrist to impart rotation, but upon release your wrist is transitioned to a relaxed position to enable your thumb to exit the ball in your downswing... With the Bill Hall method, I couldn't - I was pushing the ball out of my hand and when I was tired I wouldn't push consistently and shots were all over the place.
If you're looking for an offset-thumb fitting, I might suggest looking up Robert (bob) Strickland; who improved upon the brunswick offset-thumb fitting. He gives an explanation in his book Perceptive Bowling, I think it's on amazon still.
doogie
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: undecided

Post by doogie »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.
Passed April 14, 2019.
Rest in Peace.