Turbo switch grip drilling depth

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Lledsmarttam
THS Average: 198
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed: 14-15 mph on monitor
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Optimus solid
Medium Oil Ball: Antidote, Zero Gravity
Light Oil Ball: Rave On,Pathogen

Turbo switch grip drilling depth

Post by Lledsmarttam »

I am going to a B attempting to install my first turbo switch grip and was curious to know the actual depth of the drillbit provided by turbo with the auto stopper. The reason I am asking is because I have not yet purchased that drillbit and I am going to attempt to do it with the regular inch and a half. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

It's for the thumb.
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Turbo switch grip drilling depth

Post by JimH »

Put a mark on the drill bit with a pen or pencil or a scratch to mark the depth. As the bit goes into the ball the mark will reach the surface of the ball and you stop drilling. Place the switch grip next to the bit and you will see where to mark the bit. Marking the bit will not impair the ability to make a hole.

I have also used this method for inserts and slugs.
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Old thread, slightly different question.

When you install the outer sleeve in the ball, how much protrudes above the surface of the ball?

I don't have the "Turbo certified drill bit", but do have a 1.5" bit with a stop collar from McMaster.

Working from an existing thumb insert (I borrowed one from my teammate), in order to get the thumb insert flush (or a little below), the outer sleeve sits 0.25" on one edge and 0.320" on the other (1/4" reverse). I used a dial indicator, but a ruler is shown in the picture.
turbo-outer-height.jpg.jpg
I would like what I do to be compatible with other inserts, and don't know if this one is typical or not. It seems like some wasted space in terms of thumb depth and I can feel the bottom of the insert with my thumb.

Thanks!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Alternately, can somebody put a ruler/caliper on their bit and tell me the distance between the stop and the outside corner of the bit?
turbo-drill-bit.jpg.jpg
Using the diff between the inner and outer slug, I came up with a range from 2.78" (2 25/32") to 2.813" (2 13/16"), but I think that's too small. I should be able to measure an installed insert tonight and not be working off an inner thumb.

Thanks,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Outside edge of stop to bit corner - 2.78
Outer sleeve protrusion - 0.280

So, about what you came up with.
The stop on the Turbo bit has a slight curve, so it may contact the ball a bit sooner.
The small molding mark on the back of the sleeve always lines up at the coverstock for me.
This should leave about 2.25" of thumbhole depth along the edge of the slug, with an extra 0.25" or so in the center for the thumb tip.

I know some folks that change the stop depth, for the purpose of hitting less core material (less heat/wear on bit) since they don't need extra depth for their thumbs. They don't run a public shop, though.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Thank you! That's really helpful.

I didn't notice the depth indicator on my outer sleeves (some had it, some didn't seem to) but the measurements worked out. What confused me a bit was that I measured 2 balls from 2 different PSOs and the depths were different. So, it makes sense that people might adjust their stop.

First install was quick and easy. No problems and the inserts look great.

Steve
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Ok, another quick question.

How common is it for PSOs to drill the outer sleeve with 0,0 pitch and then do the thumb pitches on the insert? My sample set is small, but I've seen it done both ways.

Thanks again,

Steve
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

stevespo wrote:Ok, another quick question.

How common is it for PSOs to drill the outer sleeve with 0,0 pitch and then do the thumb pitches on the insert? My sample set is small, but I've seen it done both ways.

Thanks again,

Steve
I don't work in a shop anymore, but I'd say you definitely need to watch for this situation.
When I was in a shop, a customer came in with his ball and an outer, my coworker ended up drilling the "wrong" pitches for this very reason, and the inner didn't line up properly. Cost us some plug work, but luckily the customer wasn't terribly upset.

Personally, I drill all my outers at 0 x 1/16" RT, but I have changed my thumb pitches recently. I continue to drill the outers the same, so all inners fit everything. Another reason I prefer the Turbo (Ultimate is the same) to Vise-IT.

I have a "tester" inner drilled 0x0 and cut down an extra 1/8" or so I use to measure any other ball. I believe Innovative has an extra-large Jonell pitch gauge, but my method is cheaper.

I guess it's easier on the driller, since there's less chance for the bit to drift when it hits the core, which means less work and better aesthetics (gap around sleeve).
Right Handed
stevespo

Post by stevespo »

Thanks again, I do appreciate it. The installation guide -

"Pitches: Desired pitch should be set and drilled when installing Outer Sleeve. Inner Sleeve should be drilled at same pitch."

That seems to make the most sense to me, although I can imagine scenarios (like you mention) where you change pitches and make adjustments and may drill an inner differently to compensate.

Mainly I'm drilling for myself, but if I get any requests I'll use a known 0,0 inner to get an accurate measurement on an unknown outer.

Steve
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

When you look straight down the drilled thumb hole (inner), you will see if the hole is centered in the sleeve or not.
If centered, the outer sleeve was drilled at the measured pitch.
If it looks off-center, you should measure with a 0x0 inner.
Milled ovals can throw this off a bit, since the "back" edge of the hole technically was drilled at a different pitch, and off-centered.
Right Handed
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Post by MineralitePaul »

stevespo wrote:Thanks again, I do appreciate it. The installation guide -

"Pitches: Desired pitch should be set and drilled when installing Outer Sleeve. Inner Sleeve should be drilled at same pitch."

That seems to make the most sense to me, although I can imagine scenarios (like you mention) where you change pitches and make adjustments and may drill an inner differently to compensate.

Mainly I'm drilling for myself, but if I get any requests I'll use a known 0,0 inner to get an accurate measurement on an unknown outer.

Steve
Longtime SG user here. I went through a spell some years back where I was experimenting with various thumb pitches by drilling a zero-zero outer sleeve and drilling the pitches into the slug only. I had several different combinations of pitches and was experimenting their effect on different types of releases.

It does work - even if the drill pops through the side of the slug/inner sleeve assembly. However, I drilled this one slug with 3/8” RH lateral and an interesting but annoying thing happened: because of the relative angle between the outer sleeve and actual thumb hole, the inner sleeve/slug assembly would unlock (rotate counter-clockwise) from my grip pressure acting on that non-colinear axis. The work around was to distress the side of the outer sleeve a bit to increase friction, but if that slug unlocks during your swing, lookout. The release will be a painful experience and not an actual release.