ruff surface

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

steve s
Preferred Company: none

ruff surface

Post by steve s »

Our shop has a two bladed plug cutter and it leaves the material with a ruff surface ...any ideas or know the reason ? Steve S
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Re: ruff surface

Post by MeNoRevs »

steve s wrote:Our shop has a two bladed plug cutter and it leaves the material with a ruff surface ...any ideas or know the reason ? Steve S
Doing plug work is by far what I take most pride in. I want the ball to look like its new when I am done with it.

I have used every plug cutter, router, grates, etc to try to get the best plug work. So for me, the best thing you can use is a router with a router shield attached.

Plug cutters, IMO take very little time to start "ripping" the plug. If you look close at the plug after it is done, the scratches are in a circular motion of the rotation of the plug cutter. Now you have to put it on diamond cutters if you want it to still be round with getting those "rips" out, or you can do what a lot of shops do, is to just focus on that one area, and now the ball has a flat spot.

If you want your plug work to look and feel better, get a good quality router, one that you can make small adjustments too. route till you see the stickiness of the damn to fade. then barely finish it off with a razor blade.

Here is a ball I did recently

steve s

Post by steve s »

MeNoRevs wrote:
Doing plug work is by far what I take most pride in. I want the ball to look like its new when I am done with it.

I have used every plug cutter, router, grates, etc to try to get the best plug work. So for me, the best thing you can use is a router with a router shield attached.

Plug cutters, IMO take very little time to start "ripping" the plug. If you look close at the plug after it is done, the scratches are in a circular motion of the rotation of the plug cutter. Now you have to put it on diamond cutters if you want it to still be round with getting those "rips" out, or you can do what a lot of shops do, is to just focus on that one area, and now the ball has a flat spot.

If you want your plug work to look and feel better, get a good quality router, one that you can make small adjustments too. route till you see the stickiness of the damn to fade. then barely finish it off with a razor blade.

Here is a ball I did recently

We used a router for years until we got the new press..the old router quit working and the new one the boss bought can't be adjusted as fine as the old one...Do all plug cutters leave the ball rough ? Steve S
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

steve s wrote:

We used a router for years until we got the new press..the old router quit working and the new one the boss bought can't be adjusted as fine as the old one...Do all plug cutters leave the ball rough ? Steve S
I have tried 4 different types and never got the results I wanted.

If your a shop, and want to do quality work, spend the money. Use the plug cutter for cutting down urethane inserts.
steve s

Post by steve s »

MeNoRevs wrote:
I have tried 4 different types and never got the results I wanted.

If your a shop, and want to do quality work, spend the money. Use the plug cutter for cutting down urethane inserts.

Thanks ...That is what I was afraid of ...We have tried two different cutters and both left the surface rough ...Steve S
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

No plug cutter will do the job as good as a router
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maine Man
THS Average: 229
Sport Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" x 3/16" up
Speed: 16.5 (Release)
Rev Rate: 335
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Results Solid
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Incognito Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Radical Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Maine Man »

I agree with MeNoRevs, get a good router in your shop. We use a DeWalt router and clear base shield with vacuum attachment, works great. It looks like this:

Router:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gL7PvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shield:

http://innovativebowling.com/Router-Shield_p_276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this helps, don't settle for poor quality work!
James Goulding
Moore's Pro Shop
Radical Staff

Speed: 16.5
RPM: 335
Tilt: 23*
Rotation: 65*
PAP: 4 1/2* x 3/16* (up)
Left Handed