Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop

Post subject: ruff surface
 Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 am Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
Our shop has a two bladed plug cutter and it leaves the material with a ruff surface ...any ideas or know the reason ? Steve S

Post subject: Re: ruff surface
 Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:09 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Pro Shop

steve s wrote:
Our shop has a two bladed plug cutter and it leaves the material with a ruff surface ...any ideas or know the reason ? Steve S

Doing plug work is by far what I take most pride in. I want the ball to look like its new when I am done with it.

I have used every plug cutter, router, grates, etc to try to get the best plug work. So for me, the best thing you can use is a router with a router shield attached.

Plug cutters, IMO take very little time to start "ripping" the plug. If you look close at the plug after it is done, the scratches are in a circular motion of the rotation of the plug cutter. Now you have to put it on diamond cutters if you want it to still be round with getting those "rips" out, or you can do what a lot of shops do, is to just focus on that one area, and now the ball has a flat spot.

If you want your plug work to look and feel better, get a good quality router, one that you can make small adjustments too. route till you see the stickiness of the damn to fade. then barely finish it off with a razor blade.

Here is a ball I did recently

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:30 am Post Number: #3 Post

MeNoRevs wrote:

Doing plug work is by far what I take most pride in. I want the ball to look like its new when I am done with it.

I have used every plug cutter, router, grates, etc to try to get the best plug work. So for me, the best thing you can use is a router with a router shield attached.

Plug cutters, IMO take very little time to start "ripping" the plug. If you look close at the plug after it is done, the scratches are in a circular motion of the rotation of the plug cutter. Now you have to put it on diamond cutters if you want it to still be round with getting those "rips" out, or you can do what a lot of shops do, is to just focus on that one area, and now the ball has a flat spot.

If you want your plug work to look and feel better, get a good quality router, one that you can make small adjustments too. route till you see the stickiness of the damn to fade. then barely finish it off with a razor blade.

Here is a ball I did recently

We used a router for years until we got the new press..the old router quit working and the new one the boss bought can't be adjusted as fine as the old one...Do all plug cutters leave the ball rough ? Steve S

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Pro Shop

steve s wrote:

We used a router for years until we got the new press..the old router quit working and the new one the boss bought can't be adjusted as fine as the old one...Do all plug cutters leave the ball rough ? Steve S

I have tried 4 different types and never got the results I wanted.

If your a shop, and want to do quality work, spend the money. Use the plug cutter for cutting down urethane inserts.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am Post Number: #5 Post

MeNoRevs wrote:

I have tried 4 different types and never got the results I wanted.

If your a shop, and want to do quality work, spend the money. Use the plug cutter for cutting down urethane inserts.

Thanks ...That is what I was afraid of ...We have tried two different cutters and both left the surface rough ...Steve S

Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop