Changing lateral pitches

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Changing lateral pitches

Post by J_w73 »

I am thinking about changing my lateral pitches. For the last 4 or 5 years I have been at 0 middle, 3/4 right ring, and 3/4 right thumb. I'm thinking of moving everything back to the left. Not sure why other than I just want to get a different roll. I've been bowling ok, but I don't feel I have a very big pocket and need to be pretty much perfect to be able to carry. And when I do hit the pocket I leave what seems to be an abnormal amount of 8's and 9's. And almost all my light shots leave a 2 8 10 or 2 10.

Thinking of going back to 3/8 left and 3/8 right in the fingers or even 3/4 left middle and 0 ring.

Couple of questions. What should this do for my track and axis tilt?

If I do move the fingers back left, should I move the thumb the same amount? 3/8 left middle, 3/8 right ring, and 3/8 right thumb.... or 3/4 left middle, 0 ring, 0 thumb.

On a side note, my linear pitches are the same for my middle and ring finger. Is this ok, or should the ring always have more reverse than the middle? If so, why?
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Changing lateral pitches

Post by elgavachon »

J_w73 wrote:I am thinking about changing my lateral pitches. For the last 4 or 5 years I have been at 0 middle, 3/4 right ring, and 3/4 right thumb. I'm thinking of moving everything back to the left. Not sure why other than I just want to get a different roll. I've been bowling ok, but I don't feel I have a very big pocket and need to be pretty much perfect to be able to carry. And when I do hit the pocket I leave what seems to be an abnormal amount of 8's and 9's. And almost all my light shots leave a 2 8 10 or 2 10.

Thinking of going back to 3/8 left and 3/8 right in the fingers or even 3/4 left middle and 0 ring.

Couple of questions. What should this do for my track and axis tilt?

If I do move the fingers back left, should I move the thumb the same amount? 3/8 left middle, 3/8 right ring, and 3/8 right thumb.... or 3/4 left middle, 0 ring, 0 thumb.

On a side note, my linear pitches are the same for my middle and ring finger. Is this ok, or should the ring always have more reverse than the middle? If so, why?
Pitching everything left is supposed to increase tilt (but since you are a mutant, who knows what it will do). Ring having more reverse than middle should also increase tilt (if your spans are properly measured for the pitches you are using). To keep the feel the same as it is now, the thumb should be pitched laterally the same amount as the finger changes. You are actually changing where the ball rests on the palm. (towards the little finger or towards the pointing finger).
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

Yeah it might do the opposite for me. Just looking at it I would think it would move the track closer to the holes. I know the track location isn't always related to tilt though. I'm also thinking since it would put my fingers on the different hemisphere of the ball it may help me get more rotation. I don't know anyone that has their pitches angled that way though.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

J_w73 wrote:Yeah it might do the opposite for me. Just looking at it I would think it would move the track closer to the holes. I know the track location isn't always related to tilt though. I'm also thinking since it would put my fingers on the different hemisphere of the ball it may help me get more rotation. I don't know anyone that has their pitches angled that way though.
I do, but I also use my pinky to lock the ball on my palm better.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

You just have to try some changes to find out the results. -- JohnP