Exactly how strong is the Hy-Road Pearl?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

stokker
Preferred Company: Storm

Exactly how strong is the Hy-Road Pearl?

Post by stokker »

Hi Guys,

Trying to figure out if the Hy-Road pearl is a good option for when the lanes are starting to break down.
I'm choosing between a IQ-tour pearl, Lights out and the Hy-Road pearl (or possibly something else)

According to this video, the IQ-Tour pearl will pick up sooner than the Hy-Road pearl.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But will the Hy-Road pearl pick up sooner or later compared to Lights-out ?
The Roto-Grip Shatter is apparently eariler (stronger?) compared to the Hy-Road pearl,
-If I interpreted Jasons Belmonte ball change in the US Open finals against Wes correctly...

I guess my read question is; Will I be able to use the Hy-Road Pearl when the heads and mids are getting dry,
or should i look at some other options here? I'm looking for a ball that I could push through the dry heads and mids without using my muscles too much ;) but still have power to knock down some pins if the lanes are playing deep inside.

(I'm a power tweener type of player and bowl mostly on sport-patterns.)

I know that there is a lot of variables here when comparing balls, Surface, layouts etc..
But you get my point hopefully 8-)

Thanks!
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: Exactly how strong is the Hy-Road Pearl?

Post by spmcgivern »

To be able to help out those on this website for this inquiry, you need to explain the situation you are in a little clearer.

What ball (including drilling and surface if known) do you use now?
What type of lane pattern do you bowl on (THS or sport)?
What balls do you have in your arsenal?

I am sure there will be other requests for more information.

GOOD LUCK!!
stokker

Post by stokker »

spmcgivern wrote:To be able to help out those on this website for this inquiry, you need to explain the situation you are in a little clearer.

What ball (including drilling and surface if known) do you use now?
What type of lane pattern do you bowl on (THS or sport)?
What balls do you have in your arsenal?

I am sure there will be other requests for more information.

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok I'll rephrase my question.
I'm trying to figure out the following balls compares to each other.
* On a typical sport profile, with OOB surface and identical drillings
which ball would be best suited for when the heads and mid-lane starts to dry up
forcing you to play a deep inside angle?

A) Storm IQ Tour pearl
B) Storm Lights Out
C) Hy-Road Pearl
D) None of the above

Which one is the best choice according to your experience ?

My stats:
Average: 210+
Ballspeed : 17-19mph
Revrate : ~350rpm
AxisRotation : ~ 30°
Track: Medium

Thanks!
56bird

Post by 56bird »

Seems like the Lights-Out with it's R2S Hybrid cover would be the least clean through the heads. Sorry, that's all I got.
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Post by kboveington »

First off thank you for posting that video. I was looking to replace a storm victory road pearl and was hoping the hyroad pearl would be a good ball down from the iq tour pearl. Which according to the video it seems to fit right below it nicely.

I have seen a lot of iq tour pearls go down the lane on both house and sport conditions. (Imo) it has more mid-lane read then advertised. Since you have decent revs I think you would like the hyroad a bit better for the line you are wanting to play. However the hyroad is more angular then the other balls listed, some players don't like that down lane reaction of the ball jumping dead left at friction. I personally love angular balls but you are going to pay more on an errant shot. So take that into consideration as well. The lights out is basically a hybrid version of the tropical heat if that helps any.

If I remember correctly you said your axis rotation is 30 degrees which may be tougher to carry from way inside. Unless you get around the ball more when you move in, a more angular ball may be the best option to keep the ball from deflecting to much to the right.

If I was selling you a ball working with the information given I would go hyroad pearl. Although all of those could work with a little help from the right drill and cover combination.

P.s. I know there could have been some brand incentives by storm to throw the ball on tv. But Pete Weber, Wes Mallot, Jason Belmonte, and kelly kullick were throwing the hyroad pearl.
Last edited by kboveington on July 30th, 2013, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I have listed the bowlingball.com ratings of the balls in question

A) Storm IQ Tour pearl..... Perfect Scale®: 211.9.... Lane Condition: Medium-Heavy
B) Hy-Road Pearl............. Perfect Scale®: 188.6.... Lane Condition: Medium
C) Storm Lights Out........ Perfect Scale®: 172.2.... Lane Condition: Medium

All three have the same OOB finish 1500 grit polished

I don't have any of these balls but from the research I did I like the idea of a Hy-Road Pearl with a MOhole layout to chase the line inside.
Just my 2 cents.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
brunswickroller
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by brunswickroller »

hyroad pearl would be my meanstreak replacement if i went to storm, its a higher rg skid flipper for after they have opened up, id personally use a 5" pin to pap and 30ish val angle with P1 to accentuate that motion even more
17.5 mph
Tilt 10*
AR 75*
RPM 345
PAP 4 7/8" x 1/4"^

highest competition series: 741
highest competition score: 290 x2, 289 x2 288 x2, 287, 286 x2

Owner http://www.front11clothing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
56bird

Post by 56bird »

kboveington wrote: The lights out is basically a hybrid version of the tropical heat if that helps any.
Or more accurately, a hybrid Fast/Furious. The Heat line (which included hybrid versions) used the Reactor coverstock, the Fast/Furious and Lights Out are all R2S.

Come to think of it, I guess the Tropical Heat Pearl and Solid (Reactor cover, Turbine core) were just Street Rod Pearl and Solid re-releases <snicker> oh, Storm...... :)
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The hy-road is pretty much the victory road with a slightly lower diff. and different smell.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
56bird

Post by 56bird »

EricHartwell wrote:The hy-road is pretty much the victory road with a slightly lower diff. and different smell.
T-Road Pearl re-release. OK I'll shut up now.
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 236
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/16 right, 9/16 up
Speed: 18.5 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 419
Axis Tilt: 19
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Nexus f(P+F)
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Storm Natural

Post by gtkpr31 »

I've thrown every release in the Storm/Roto line luckily so allow me to throw some insight your way. First of all, basically what we are looking to compare is how each ball responds to friction. I'll throw my stats in here for comparison and tell you what I get out of each ball.

PAP: 4 1/16 right and 7/8 up
Rev Rate: 425
Tilt: 20*
Axis rotation: 60*

Of the three, the IQ Pearl will start up the soonest and be the strongest overall (don't be fooled by its low diff numbers) and the Hy-Road Pearl will give the best length but it will also react the strongest to friction. That's why you get so many people saying how strong it is, it's not necessarily the strongest, it just reacts hardest to friction, giving the illusion of being stronger. The Lights Out is in the middle of both and my pin-down Lights Out is super smooth.

Since you didn't give too much info on the patterns you're looking to cover, the IQ Pearl will give you the widest variety of patterns you'll be able to play on.

In my opinion, if you're looking for something to clear the fronts really well and still not overreact, I wouldn't go with any of them. I have a Hy-Road Pearl drilled 40 x 5.5 x 40 and I'm always left of fourth arrow with it.

I would go with a shatter, personally. You'll get just as much length as the Hy-Road Pearl but it won't be as much in the back. And with you saying you're bowling sport patterns, you don't ever want something that breaks loose down the lane. Hope this helps!
Joe

Turbo Grips Regional Staff
Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
Strimmed
Preferred Company: N/A

Post by Strimmed »

I agree to the above post ten fold!!!!! I think the hyroad pearl is going to be much too unforgiving for you, and all slight misses you are more often than not, going to be paying the ultimate penalty for.... Where as i feel the iq tour pearl is going to be much stronger and earlier than what you described your goals are.for this new ball. I really do think the lights out is by far your best of the three you listed. But i feel like you could easily do better by looking at some balls outside of those just from Utah (storm/roto grip). I think however youd be happier with either the DV8 Dude, Columbia Eruption Pro, or my personal favorite rock that will kill any and all THS' from the fresh to the burned up second shifts with diminished head oil and tight backends- the Torrid Affair would be the better choice mainly because of the real easy length it provides through the front half of the lanes without any over reaction due mostly to its medium strength solid coverstock, that creates a relatively slower response off of the friction.
But if you want to stay with storm or roto, id listen to the above poster and definitely look at the shatter.... Oh and dont overlook the shout either. its easily overlooked bc of its really low diff numbers. but dont let that fool you.... all that really implies is that its going to retain most its energy for the last 15-20ft so it'll glide effortlessly through the heads and make a strong yet still controlled jump at 40-45'. that thing looks super clean and relatively smooth as well.

Whatever u end up choosing good luvk to you sir... And most importantly when all else fails, just remember to always have fun :)

Sean

My Specs

13-14mph via Quibica Monitors
230-260 Revrate
17* Axis Tilt
35-40* Axis Rotation
4 1/4" right 1/4" up PAP
Bowling on Medium volume and length THS over old grandfathered in Brunswick Anvilane 2 Synthetics
56bird

Post by 56bird »

Sweet thread necro. I wonder what TS did, if anything?