Manufacturer/factory "Seconds"?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

trubenchoun
Preferred Company: Morich

Manufacturer/factory "Seconds"?

Post by trubenchoun »

I was looking at Ebay to try and get a "deal" on a ball and noticed, some balls were called Factory Seconds or X-lines. Does anybody know what that means or entales?
robert
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: circle

Re: Manufacturer/factory "Seconds"?

Post by robert »

the X-out balls are the ones with asymmetric cores where the cg is wildly out of line with
the mass bias (90 degrees for instance)

Other factory seconds could be wrong color, long pin - cg distance (more than 5" for instance), stupid top weights or something else that would make the ball hard to sell as a first like a mark.

personally i love cheap stuff.

go for it and request layout on this forum, you may end up with an awesome ball for half price
trubenchoun

Post by trubenchoun »

Robert,
That was an awesome discription and timely return. I appreciate it greatly.
I have been wanting to get a ball drilled with the double thumb layout for shits and giggles. I suppose I could get another Craze and get it done and see what happens. Like you said, it's cheap. I'll reply back after I have recieved the ball and what the outcome/experience for me was.

Thanks
-Jeremy
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

trubenchoun wrote:Robert,
That was an awesome discription and timely return. I appreciate it greatly.
I have been wanting to get a ball drilled with the double thumb layout for shits and giggles. I suppose I could get another Craze and get it done and see what happens. Like you said, it's cheap. I'll reply back after I have recieved the ball and what the outcome/experience for me was.

Thanks
-Jeremy
For a double thumb, Make sure the ball is not a second because of too much top wt or a very short pin. A second because of too long of a pin would be good.
robert
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: circle

Post by robert »

Yeah, if you have a specific drilling in mind, you may not be able to do it with a second, static weights may get in the way.

Make sure that you have your pro shop locate the cg before proceeding with drilling since it also could be mis-marked (or double marked) .
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

robert wrote:Yeah, if you have a specific drilling in mind, you may not be able to do it with a second, static weights may get in the way.

Make sure that you have your pro shop locate the cg before proceeding with drilling since it also could be mis-marked (or double marked) .

This phrase should be extended to EVERY ball you purchase. Some layouts are extremely difficult to use if you start with the wrong top/pin out distance.

You should almost always double check the cg, and if possible, the mb position from the factory. Some are getting very consistent with these (MoRich, Brunswick (the balls they note as assymetrical...however they list some assyms as syms), Storm to name a few), but some are still lagging behind the quality control curve.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

trubenchoun wrote:I was looking at Ebay to try and get a "deal" on a ball and noticed, some balls were called Factory Seconds or X-lines. Does anybody know what that means or entales?
Speaking a representative of a ball company, in this case MoRich. There are different words for balls that don't meet the shipping criteria. ALL these balls are mostly cosmetic blems that don't affect performance. Those are things like color misses, bad engraving, repair marks, etc. Another set of categories includes excessive top weight, very low top weight, pin in (in some cases), pin out more than 5.5", and cgs too far of the pin to PSA line. Different companies have different criteria. I hope this explains it accurately.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
trubenchoun

Post by trubenchoun »

Wow,
What a heck of a response from all you guys/gals. I surely appreciate the insight and help.