Urethane Ball for a bowler who uses no thumb?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

JJR247
THS Average: 175
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 out 1 1/2 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich Ntense LevRG
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Light Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Preferred Company: MoRich

Urethane Ball for a bowler who uses no thumb?

Post by JJR247 »

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who bowls with no thumb (google: "Mike Miller - No thumb release") and is Left handed. He currently has a hammer black widow (15lb) and a polyester spare ball (14lb). He prefers to play up the gutter, so he often reverts to playing the lighter plastic ball because the black widow snaps harder than he can control.

I am thinking he should just get a 15lb urethane ball, like a Storm Natural or a Roto Grip Grenade. This way, he can play up the gutter, have a ball that has a consistent and controllable reaction, and with hitting power. What do you think about this? I suppose he could also get his black widow re-drilled for control as well, but I am sure he would rather not re-drill his ball.

I wish I had his exact specs, but I don't. He has the ability to change axis rotation from 30-70 degrees, and is definitely rev dominant. I estimate:

425-475 rev rate
14 - 15 MPH (at the heads)

If he got one of these balls, what drilling would you recommend? Any other advice such as other ball suggestions, drillings, etc. would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Re: Urethane Ball for a bowler who uses no thumb?

Post by Slap »

I wouldn't add a urethane ball to an arsenal of that size. IMO, a urethane ball is too condition specific for a 2 plus spare ball arsenal.

A reactive ball with the proper layout for his game (slower speed, rev dominate, tilt?) and surface prep for conditions he bowls on should give him a great ball reaction.
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Nsane »

This is a common problem for without Thumb bowlers.
The reason is: they start bowling with houseballs. With this you need many revs and low ballspeed to mach to the contitions. After a while they score well and want purchase a "good" ball. Thats the beginning of their Problem because their style is tight.

You ask for purchasing a urathaneball. I say, better not.

Its much better and cheeper to fix the problem by raisin the ballspeed. Correcting the technical problem give him and his balldriller a wider range to tune Balls with diffrent layouts in future.
Many Bowlers want to have a "magic ball" that close their problems but dont want to work on there faults. The other side, working on their problems is the better way to get long terme success.

So he should raise the Ballspeed. Good ballspeed with matched revs is a very very good base to bowl with good success.

There are some ways to do raise ballspeed.

1. he should extent the aproach if possible.
(More way on same time = more Speed in aproach = more ballspeed. (Mo says "move your feet faster")).
2. More forward push during release raise Ballspeed also.
3. higher Backswing (not easy without thumb, but possilble)

I guess a mix of these things will be a step forward.
If you can control the speed
you can control the game
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

I'll agree that if you can raise his speed alittle, he'll have exponentially more success

I don't advocate 2 finger / 2hand bowling, but if you watch the guys who do it well (belmonte) there's a sidestep instead of a typically pushoff, which helps to generate ballspeed
JJR247
THS Average: 175
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 out 1 1/2 up
Speed: 16.5
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich Ntense LevRG
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Light Oil Ball: Morich Solid LevRG 55 X 2 1/2 X 35
Preferred Company: MoRich

Post by JJR247 »

Thanks for your help everyone! I will definitely try to help him to implement these tips.
More speed, more surface, etc... :mrgreen:

One thing I also notice is that he has about 2 to 2 1/2 feet left in between his slide foot and the foul line when he releases the ball. How does this affect things?
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

Being that far back from the foul line can cause a few things to happen. If he lobs the ball to get it out onto the lane, that could be taking away from his revs and accuracy. If he puts the ball down behind the foul line it is immediately contacting a lot of friction. Plus you are just making the lane that much longer by being so far back. I used to finish / put my ball down way behind the line and had friction burns from it.
dextersapp
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by dextersapp »

After reading these posts , i thought I should respond to get some clarity . I am a Left handed 2 fingered bowler. 19mph @ release 400+ revs, with 180 ave in my first PBA experience league. I tend to migrate to my plastic ball because my equipment seems to be to skid flippish. I had my Burst redrilled to go longer and my prodigy is only good on the Shark .
Ive been thinking about getting a urethane to get a smooth arcing ball that doesnt overreact but can still get a good carry. After reading these posts it sounds like I should increase my speed instead of getting a urethane that can give me smoother look.
With all that said , I just wanted some more insight on why going to urethane wouldnt be benficial.
I do want to say that I already increased my speed form 15 to 19mph. I physically could go higher but dont want to loose accuracy. Im open to good advice , just would like some explaining behind it.
Thanks in advance
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I say try one - you'll never know unless you do. -- JohnP
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

I'm with John. If you really want to try one, go ahead! Urethane will give you VERY smooth reaction through out the lane. All Urethanes are not created equal, so some may cover more boards than others. I am really interested in getting an Avalanche Urethane soon, to help eliminate some over/under I've been seeing lately.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
dextersapp

Post by dextersapp »

Thanks you guys , Im tryiing to decide between the Natural , the Avalanche , the grenade or the Desperado. what kind of mix and carry have you seen from these? and have you thrown them on any pro shots?
Thanks in advance
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

dextersapp wrote:Thanks you guys , Im tryiing to decide between the Natural , the Avalanche , the grenade or the Desperado. what kind of mix and carry have you seen from these? and have you thrown them on any pro shots?
Thanks in advance
The only one of those I've drilled is a 13 lb Natural, and it was for a 70+ year old bowler that throws the ball about 11 mph on Qubica and was looking for something that didn't hook as much as even a weak resin ball. The Natural gave him the look he wanted, but at his speed I'd hate to judge carry. -- JohnP
dextersapp

Post by dextersapp »

I decided to go with the Avalanche and threw 14 games on fresh Shark pattern. i loved the look i got. Feet 20 - arrows 13 out to 7,8 . As the lane broke down i scored better , but definetly left way to many 7 pins.