What type of ball ?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

TMack

What type of ball ?

Post by TMack »

Out of curiosity, what ball types work better for spinners and very high track bowlers ?
Asymmetrical or symmetrical ?
JBelschner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1.375
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 500
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: C System 3.5
Medium Oil Ball: C System 2.5
Light Oil Ball: Slingshot
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: What type of ball ?

Post by JBelschner »

All balls are asymmetrical unless you want to throw them without any holes drilled in them. I've tried that, and it doesn't work for me. High track and low track doesn't matter either. It actually depends on the axis tilt. There is a bowler in my center that has a very high track, but he has 27* of tilt. He is a spinner with a high track, so basing it on high and low track would be wrong for him. Measuring the tilt is the only way to get the right reading.

I hate generalizes, but generally players with high degrees of tilt need stronger equipment and lower tilt players need weaker. Of course, this still depends on if they are rev dominant, speed dominant, or even. We also need to know what they are bowling on.

Basically, drill anything that will fit their game and works on the condition. As long as it is the right Brunswick or MoRich ball, they will do fine :D. I wouldn't concern myself with chosing asymmetrical or symmetrical because once you drill the ball it is asymmetrical. Be more concerned with ball selection, proper layout, and fine tune it with a weight hole.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

JBelschner wrote:All balls are asymmetrical unless you want to throw them without any holes drilled in them. I've tried that, and it doesn't work for me. High track and low track doesn't matter either. It actually depends on the axis tilt. There is a bowler in my center that has a very high track, but he has 27* of tilt. He is a spinner with a high track, so basing it on high and low track would be wrong for him. Measuring the tilt is the only way to get the right reading.

I hate generalizes, but generally players with high degrees of tilt need stronger equipment and lower tilt players need weaker. Of course, this still depends on if they are rev dominant, speed dominant, or even. We also need to know what they are bowling on.

Basically, drill anything that will fit their game and works on the condition. As long as it is the right Brunswick or MoRich ball, they will do fine :D. I wouldn't concern myself with chosing asymmetrical or symmetrical because once you drill the ball it is asymmetrical. Be more concerned with ball selection, proper layout, and fine tune it with a weight hole.

Magnificent post! Chuck would be proud.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
proshop
Preferred Company: Motive

Post by proshop »

I was always under the impression that a "Spinner" had a smaller track diameter(with a high tilt). A high track with high axis tilt would not fall under the definition of "Spinner".
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

High axis tilt, by definition, also has a small track diameter. So, high track or not, if you have a lot of axis tilt, you're spinning it, thus making you a spinner :)
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
TMack

Post by TMack »

OK....let me try this again....
For "low axis tilt" bowlers the best ball is.....????
For "high axis tilt" bowlers the best ball is.....????
I know that all balls are asymmetric after drilling. However, most balls with a PSA (or MB) prior to drilling tend to have a higher intermediate RG. Also, a ball with a PSA (or MB)(prior to drilling), makes a layout and drill more to the intended results. I ask this because "low" track and "high" track players at times need help to get the ball to react on the lanes.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

Are you talking RG values and diffs? Or cover stock types? What?

I would say "spinners" would do better with solids to give you smoother, sooner rolling balls, with higher total diffs to afford your MAXIMUM possible flare to help bleed off the excess tilt and/or rotation.

While those that go up the back more, would likely do a little better with pearls, to get the built in length that often comes with them, and lower total diffs, to help retain what little tilt and/or rotation they might have.

Those are total guesses, though.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
JBelschner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1.375
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 500
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: C System 3.5
Medium Oil Ball: C System 2.5
Light Oil Ball: Slingshot
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by JBelschner »

Well, it really doesn't matter which you use. The benefit of drilling an asymmetrical ball is it allows you to control the placement of the PSA more so than a symmetrical ball. Symmetrical balls end up with a PSA near the thumb hole, but there is a degree of variance in where it actually falls after drilling. Then, adding a weight hole makes the PSA move.

High tilt and low tilt is just part of the equation in determining what ball. I think that speed or rev dominance is as important if not more important than tilt in deciding what ball to pick. The core is secondary to the coverstock (I'm not saying the core isn't important). The layout you choose for the ball changes based on symmetrical and asymmetrical core, and if you make the right changes, it won't matter if its symmetrical or asymmetrical for either low track or high track players. The right amount of flare together with proper drilling angles makes either work. I don't think it matters symmetrical or asymmetrical for high tilt or low tilt.

If you have a high tilt player who is even and another who is speed dominant and another who is rev dominant all bowling on the same condition, you can end up with 3 different balls and 3 different layouts. Same is true for low tilt players. You have to take their game as a whole in selecting the ball and not one piece.