Can a person's size hinder them from play a 0 launch angle

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Can a person's size hinder them from play a 0 launch angle

Post by krava »

Short Version: Can a person's size hinder them so they can't play a completely straight 0 Degree launch angle? #2 Do you know of anyone that is really large and can play that kind of a shot?
I stood where I was suppose to stand, felt really too constricted and kept missing 2 boards right alot as I felt that if I threw the ball over 10 I would have to throw it at a \ angle just to hit it.

Long Version: It hurts to type as I sprained my right index finger/hand 30 min before bowling. Today I went bowling to practice on the 3 point targeting system. I told them to put down the 2017 Double's pattern and gave them the sheet from bowl.com. After putting down a THS pattern by mistake and 2 games later, they put the correct pattern down. According to 2 coaches I have been told in order for me to play a straight shot, I have to be 12 boards away from where the ball gets put down instead of 7. In the 3 point targeting sytem 41 foot pattern, Your suppose to aim at 10 and throw straight down 10 and stand on 17 when you throw straight up the boards. I stood on 22 and did the same. Standing on 22, I felt very "compact" not much room at all. I also felt as if I was standing in the path of 10. I walk straight I would walk over the 10 board (right shoulder would touch 10). I did adjust my ball from being infront of me to the side so I could drop the ball in a straight path.

First of all, I couldn't make out the "middle" point on the lanes where the range finder is because it was so much glare on the lanes so I had to estimate. I took alot of time to shoot and I felt that I did throw at a 0 degree angle most of the time but I kept missing the 10 pin and hitting 8 instead missing the head pin and leaving 1 2 4 a few times. I adjusted by bending down in my stance at the line . I was also worried about "can I clear my legs trying to play this tight shot".

Some specs My Waist size is 48-50 pant size, Shirt size is a 3x. Sport coat size is 58-60 for the shoulders. My lats are pretty good size but there is definetely fat there that needs to get out of the way and might be easier for the swing.

With this "sprained " hand, I averaged 187 for 3 games on that pattern after using the 3 point system. If I hit my mark, I struck. Before the 3 point sytem, if I hit my mark, It was like am I going to get lucky and strike or would I miss. I always struck when I hit the mark though today. I think that is an improvement.

If I had to guess what the problem is, I would say it is not getting low enough in the stance so I can get the ball closer to my left foot. The problem is a bigger person has more stuff blocking the ball's path once the swing starts to happen.

The the question would be what would be a good "size" that a person can be that their body wouldn't get in the way? size 38 pants?

Maybe someone that has been overweight and then lost weight and bowls maybe has some insite on how losing weight has effected how good they bowl or how much easier it is to get out of the ball path?

What feels really good is either #1 standing on 25 throwing down 8 or standing 28 throwing accross 10. Neither is 0 degree launch angle right there though.

Another launch angle question is this. I saw that your feet need to be pointed in the same angle as your launch angle when you setup and throw the ball. if your feet and launch angle are more like / how do you want straight and with your foot in the / direction at the same time? I can walk straight and throw / but I can't walk in the / way each step and walk straight?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Can a person's size hinder them from play a 0 launch ang

Post by JMerrell »

Read Post #2, this visual may help.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12176&hilit=ETT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

JMerrell wrote:Read Post #2, this visual may help.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12176&hilit=ETT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a PDF I created of the referenced post (including slides), For those that wish to save this helpful post.
Everything Towards the Target-ETBF.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

From what I see in the picture, if you line up and then put the ball to your side, that ball should be over the 2nd arrow or 2nd dot etc if you dropped it on the ground right out of your lineup stance right? So if one doesn't know where to stand, they could line up like they would throw the ball but make sure if the ball was placed straight down, the ball would be right at the 2nd dot if they were playing 2nd arrow right?
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Post by ChrisTan »

Beef Stew Williams comes into mind. He may not be as large as you in terms of size but he has a wide hip and a belly (full of stew?) to boot ! But his release is top notch and he can play wide or straight as an arrow
Chris
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

ChrisTan wrote:Beef Stew Williams comes into mind. He may not be as large as you in terms of size but he has a wide hip and a belly (full of stew?) to boot ! But his release is top notch and he can play wide or straight as an arrow
If Stu, is bowling here this season, I will watch him a bit. As I recall, Stu is actually pretty symetrical side to side, top to bottom (rectangular). There are a few big boys in the league and I will watch them.
krava, is there video of yourself on the forum? I can look for similar body types.
The shot has been THS, guys like Stu, average 250 on it.

If your physiology can tolerate it, I'd advocate some metabolic weight training in addition to mobility and flexibility drills.

Don't restrict your video study to men only!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Replying because of the mention of size.
First of all, I've ridden the weight roller coaster, more than I care to remember.
So this is in no way pejorative statement. As Hendrix wrote, " I'm the one that's got to die when it's my turn to die, so let me live my life the way I want to ..."

This is submitted in the spirit of encouragement.

[youtube][/youtube]

Another song comes to mind, "It ain't the meat, it's the motion" ...

Bottom line, where there is a will, there is a way.
Find one or make one! But first, you may need to empty your cup.

My Coachs always made me bring duct tape to my lessons, to put on my mouth!

Never give up!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

This post can be deleted, I had no idea what I was doing when I posted it. I can play like anyone else 7-8 boards from the target. All you have to do if you want to believe it is go to the foul line put your left foot down (if right handed) then drag right foot behind it like if you were going to throw a shot. put the ball straight down and see what board you end up on, So if anyone says again I have to stand 25 or 28 to hit 2nd arrow that is what to tell them.