Whats working for you?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Whats working for you?

Post by fufu »

So, I've been using the dual angle technique on my equipment as well as high average bowlers to help dial in specific reactions. I'm learning as I go what works and what does not for different styles.

For me(med revs, faster speed, low axis rotation, moderate tilt), the sum of the angles needs to be around 100. My favorites are my Momentum Swing, 70 x 4.75 x 30, and my Rampage, 70 x 5.5 x 30. These two seem to give the best mix of midlane read with backend pop.

What I'm learning is that a 30* Val angles works well for me. My total bedlam is 35 x 4.25 x 35(too much too early) and my NSane Levrg is 50 x 4 x 40*(should have gone longer with the drilling angle b/c of the strong core). Both of those balls are very hit and miss for me. Both seem to be too early for the dry or too late for the oil. However, I get the same overall hook with NSane and Rampage. This gives me a nice combo if I need just alittle different motion to carry the corner.

For those with slower ball speeds, I've found that 30* val angles are too quick off the friction and severely lack the continuation needed to produce good carry/blend the wet/dry(house conditions). I've noticed that something closer to 50 to 70* Val angles give those with slower speeds a bigger window to carry consistently. That said, the shorter VAL angles do work well, IF, and only if, those with slower speeds play the straight up the puddle. Once they try the out and back, it expends all the energy at the friction.

For the up the back end over enders, I've found that 25-30* VAL angles with LONG drilling angles(65-80) give them the best blend of length and pop on the backend. This somewhat applies to me, but I've drilled more than a couple for some very low axis rotation individuals. Most of them, I've given something like 70 x 3 1/2(to 4) x 25/30*. This helps get the ball up the lane but respond quickly to help them carry better.

I haven't had much experience with heavy handed guys yet. I have one guy that I work with who is looking for something new. I would think something with a short VAL, like 20*, would work well b/c it would give him a flip and stop. I've drilled him some longer VAL stuff and he hooks it off the planet...lol I tried a VG with a 20* VAL and hated it.

I will say that my observations are made on a med to heavy oil, 40 foot THS(kinda close to Middle Road IMO) with a soft taper(not real wet/dry when they are fresh).

I'd be interested to hear from others their recommendations and experience with different styles as it pertains to dual angle layouts. I'll post this same topic at bowlingchat as well.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Whats working for you?

Post by Mo Pinel »

fufu wrote:So, I've been using the dual angle technique on my equipment as well as high average bowlers to help dial in specific reactions. I'm learning as I go what works and what does not for different styles.

For me(med revs, faster speed, low axis rotation, moderate tilt), the sum of the angles needs to be around 100. My favorites are my Momentum Swing, 70 x 4.75 x 30, and my Rampage, 70 x 5.5 x 30. These two seem to give the best mix of midlane read with backend pop.

What I'm learning is that a 30* Val angles works well for me. My total bedlam is 35 x 4.25 x 35(too much too early) and my NSane Levrg is 50 x 4 x 40*(should have gone longer with the drilling angle b/c of the strong core). Both of those balls are very hit and miss for me. Both seem to be too early for the dry or too late for the oil. However, I get the same overall hook with NSane and Rampage. This gives me a nice combo if I need just alittle different motion to carry the corner.

For those with slower ball speeds, I've found that 30* val angles are too quick off the friction and severely lack the continuation needed to produce good carry/blend the wet/dry(house conditions). I've noticed that something closer to 50 to 70* Val angles give those with slower speeds a bigger window to carry consistently. That said, the shorter VAL angles do work well, IF, and only if, those with slower speeds play the straight up the puddle. Once they try the out and back, it expends all the energy at the friction.

For the up the back end over enders, I've found that 25-30* VAL angles with LONG drilling angles(65-80) give them the best blend of length and pop on the backend. This somewhat applies to me, but I've drilled more than a couple for some very low axis rotation individuals. Most of them, I've given something like 70 x 3 1/2(to 4) x 25/30*. This helps get the ball up the lane but respond quickly to help them carry better.

I haven't had much experience with heavy handed guys yet. I have one guy that I work with who is looking for something new. I would think something with a short VAL, like 20*, would work well b/c it would give him a flip and stop. I've drilled him some longer VAL stuff and he hooks it off the planet...lol I tried a VG with a 20* VAL and hated it.

I will say that my observations are made on a med to heavy oil, 40 foot THS(kinda close to Middle Road IMO) with a soft taper(not real wet/dry when they are fresh).

I'd be interested to hear from others their recommendations and experience with different styles as it pertains to dual angle layouts. I'll post this same topic at bowlingchat as well.
You are really developing the skills necessary to take full advantage of "Dual Angle Layouts with Gradient Line". It IS a complex relationship that allows drillers to develop their own style of layouts and put their signature on those layouts.

I'm glad you're seeing the benefits. Thanks!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

Thanks Mo, for those who are rev dominant what are you typical suggestions?

My brain says, for sym cored balls, use a 5.5 to 6" pin with a short val on longer patterns. For assy balls, 80 x 2 1/2 x 25 seems like a place to start.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

fufu wrote:Thanks Mo, for those who are rev dominant what are you typical suggestions?

My brain says, for sym cored balls, use a 5.5 to 6" pin with a short val on longer patterns. For assy balls, 80 x 2 1/2 x 25 seems like a place to start.
Good starting points. You may want to use more med. VAL angles for the very rev dominant players. About 35 to 45* VAL angles.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)