Quick introduction & question (Thickest coverstock???)

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

CyberTr0n
THS Average: 210
Heavy Oil Ball: DV8 Reckless
Medium Oil Ball: Hammer Taboo Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Grind
Preferred Company: Hammer, DV8

Quick introduction & question (Thickest coverstock???)

Post by CyberTr0n »

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone that posts on the boards. I found this web site about 6 months ago and love the limitless information. Its nice to find a group of people that are willing to help each other out.

Just a little about myself, I have only been in the industry for about 5-6yrs and love every minute of it (bowling for 15yrs). I am currently the asst. manager / marketing director at the local center and have been learning the pro-shop side of the business for about 6mo.

QUESTION
One of my regulars is having issues finding a decent bowling ball. The problem that we are running into is the last 2 balls he has purchased in the last 3yrs aren't even lasting an entire season. His last purchase was a 15lbs Storm Reign Supreme (finger tipped) and before that what a Hammer Vibe (conventional grip). The problem we are having, is his finger holes and bridge crack and bust apart in no time. I even warrantied his 1st Reign Supreme and the same thing happened to the 2nd one! Pro-Shop owner fixed it and boom happened again!

He is currently throwing 15lbs and averages 19mph (on screen). His track does roll over the finger holes. He is about a 160 avg bowler that is just doing it for fun.

The pro-shop owner drills a lot of equipment and has been doing this for 15 plus years. I have all the faith in the world that its not drilling errors. I can understand bridge cracks but this is just an explosion.

My question is this: I am looking for a ball on the market today that has the thickest coverstock. I know the Roto-Grip Nomad Dagger was very think, but my supplier no longer carries that ball. Or what would be your recommendations for this customer.

Thank you in advance...
MatthiasScheinert
Positive Axis Point: 4 15/16 right 9/16 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Quick introduction & question (Thickest coverstock???)

Post by MatthiasScheinert »

Dear CyberTrOn,
first and for most welcome to the site. You will love it.
To the ball. Roto offers the Bandit or Outlaw. Both have no filler. I think there are others on the market too, but these are for sure.
For your customer. I would check his grip. Get the rings away from the holes. You can post his specs here and I am sure Mo and friends are pleased to help you out.
So lets see what others think,
Matthias
axistilt: 13°
axisrotation: 60°
speed: 17 mph at 15 feet
revs: 300
PAP: 4 15/16 right 9/16 up
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Welcome! This IS the BEST bowling site.

If he rolls over the holes there might be nothing you can do to stop the cracking. Make sure ther is enough bevel at the top of the holes. This will help stop the cracking. Best thing to do is try to get him to stop rolling over the holes. Every time the ball rolls over the holes it will "hop" off the lane and a ball will not hook in the air.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Just a thought:
I seen around here a couple of bowlers who had a similar problem.

They had the whole area of the fingerholes and bridge drilled out and plugged (looked like one big plug), The plug was thicker than the coverstock in that area and was a more durable material. Then had the fingerholes put in.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."