Avalanche Urethane

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Avalanche Urethane

Post by kellytehuna »

Any thoughts on this ball? I know its not been released to the public market just yet, but I've been wanting a urethane piece, just to fill in that spot in "my bag" so to speak. I really like the Brunswick pieces (Twisted Fury, Siege, Avalanche Solid) I've tried over the last two years and seeing as they pour Morich balls, this is the next best thing to buying a Morich ball :)

With the Rhino Teal Pro core, it should be a great ball! I know the Black Rhino I threw when I first started had a very readable, smooth reaction to it. I've thrown that ball recently, but given that I just sorta punched holes in it willy nilly, I'm sure that ball is almost ready for the heap. I'm thinking I'll just put it back in the closet, as good as its been to me :)

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on this ball, from the literature? I'm seriously considering getting one, but I would like some input and advice. I've never thrown a Teal Rhino Pro, or a Gold Rhino Pro (we have one sitting on the racks that I might commandeer!), so I don't know what to expect from this ball.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
charlest

Re: Avalanche Urethane

Post by charlest »

I am some experience with a couple of current urethanes: AMF Hype and Seismic Desperado. I am pretty sure I'll be trying this ball also. I really like the Desperado, possibly because of the combination of being both a pearl urethane and having a mass bias core. The Hype rolls very early but I've finally managed to actually put a shine on it. I'll be trying it this week to see how much length it now gets. Both hit surprisngly well when used on their proper condition.

The Brunswick is supposed to be a highly polished pearl urethane. I think it will fit below the Desperado for me. The Desperado is not really polished. The box finish is more like P4000 Abralon matte. I think I'll be able to stand further outside and play more direct than I do with the Depserado, with which I rarely target outside the 12/13 board.
I've never thrown a Teal Rhino Pro, or a Gold Rhino Pro (we have one sitting on the racks that I might commandeer!), so I don't know what to expect from this ball.
Because it has the same core doesn't mean throwing those balls will tell you how this polished pearl urethane will react (in my opinion). This should be very different in reaction from either of those AND in how you think when you throw it.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

charlest wrote:I am some experience with a couple of current urethanes: AMF Hype and Seismic Desperado. I am pretty sure I'll be trying this ball also. I really like the Desperado, possibly because of the combination of being both a pearl urethane and having a mass bias core. The Hype rolls very early but I've finally managed to actually put a shine on it. I'll be trying it this week to see how much length it now gets. Both hit surprisngly well when used on their proper condition.

The Brunswick is supposed to be a highly polished pearl urethane. I think it will fit below the Desperado for me. The Desperado is not really polished. The box finish is more like P4000 Abralon matte. I think I'll be able to stand further outside and play more direct than I do with the Depserado, with which I rarely target outside the 12/13 board.
Thanks for the input, Charles! When you say pearl urethane, I assume that means there are mica flakes in what would otherwise be a pure urethane cover? Interesting? How do the Desperado and Hype take to surface changes? I considered getting a Natural, but I held off because I didn't want to get caught up in the hype surrounding it. I've seen it being used by one of the bowlers in our house, but he kept trying to play really deep with it, so I didn't really get a good look at it.
charlest wrote: Because it has the same core doesn't mean throwing those balls will tell you how this polished pearl urethane will react (in my opinion). This should be very different in reaction from either of those AND in how you think when you throw it.
You make a good point. I guess what I was trying to say, is that I've not had much experience with "pure" urethane, let alone anything in the Rhino Pro line, which I'm sure is urethane. My only experience with urethane thus far has been the Black Rhino. I'm just looking for a piece that will give me a clean, predictable roll. The Black Rhino gave me that look. Really smooth, very readable. I know a urethane piece won't be a fix all, but I agree with those that say you should have a urethane piece in your bag, just to give you a different look, should you need it.

I would like to bowl a few tournaments this year, so I'm trying to fill out an arsenal that will allow me to match up on various conditions. :)

15lb Radical Yeti

charlest

Post by charlest »

kellytehuna wrote:
Thanks for the input, Charles! When you say pearl urethane, I assume that means there are mica flakes in what would otherwise be a pure urethane cover? Interesting?
To be honest, I am not sure is mica is the same process to make a ball "pearlized" with urethane as it is with resin. My Desperado does not have the tiny, shiny reflections of mica that most of my pearl resins do, but then not all my pearl resins have those glistening flakes.
How do the Desperado and Hype take to surface changes? I considered getting a Natural, but I held off because I didn't want to get caught up in the hype surrounding it. I've seen it being used by one of the bowlers in our house, but he kept trying to play really deep with it, so I didn't really get a good look at it.
I've only added the tiniest bit of polish to my Desperado since I really liked it as it came out of the box. So I can't really comment on it.

The Hype was EXTREMELY difficult to get any kind of shine on it. Part of that problem may have been that it was advertised to be 4000 grit matte (Abralon). Now that I think back on it, I wonder if that was true. I used my most abrasive compounds and strongest polishes and it was a very gradual process over several months. I'd try it and then take it home and polish some more, with polishes not providing any shine but just further smoothing out the surface until a few days ago, when I really put some "elbow grease" on the spinner. (Got to be careful about that). Now it has a shine and it is still much earlier than the Depserado. I almost need to see medium-light to true medium oil to use this sucker. I'll probably be selling it, as I just don't have enough ball speed to use it well.

Any sanding needs to be done assiduously and firmly, never skipping any in between grits. Wet/dry sandpaper is best. You'll just ruin Abralon or Siaair pads. Nylon pads should work but there are too many in between grits missing.

From what I have read about the Natural, it seems much easier to change the surface than the Hype. People report zero problems getting a shine on it. I suspect it is a blend of resin and urethane because of that. I could be wrong.
You make a good point. I guess what I was trying to say, is that I've not had much experience with "pure" urethane, let alone anything in the Rhino Pro line, which I'm sure is urethane.
Actually the Rhino Pro line was Brunswick's top of the line in the urethane age, but became a lower line in the resin age. Their first resin balls were Rhinos. Then the Zone line came along.

My only experience with urethane thus far has been the Black Rhino. I'm just looking for a piece that will give me a clean, predictable roll. The Black Rhino gave me that look. Really smooth, very readable. I know a urethane piece won't be a fix all, but I agree with those that say you should have a urethane piece in your bag, just to give you a different look, should you need it.

I would like to bowl a few tournaments this year, so I'm trying to fill out an arsenal that will allow me to match up on various conditions. :)
Almost all urethanes that I have seen & used have been extremely smooth compared to almost any resin. You wouldn't need all the fingers on one hand to count the resins that have been as smooth as the "snappiest" urethane. So I wouldn't worry about urethane's not being smooth. But, like in the case of me and the Hype, I'd worry about how early it is on the lane and how much oil you'd need to make it retain energy. Ball speed is critical in this situation, as well as oil. My ball speed (16.5- 16 ay the arrows, 14 -14.5 at the pit) is on the slow side to make good use of them, thus my preference so far for the Pearl urethane, with a flip drilling, the Desperado and why I'm looking forward to the pearl Avalanche urethane.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

kellytehuna wrote:Any thoughts on this ball?
Yeah, I think im going to get one. :)
kellytehuna

Post by kellytehuna »

I'm liking that thought. I'm thinking I will also be getting one. I'm loving the Avalanche Solid! That ball is ALOT stronger than I thought it would be, I have to say!

15lb Radical Yeti

h34dbust

Post by h34dbust »

I would really love if someone do a comparison video between Avalanche Urethane, Avalanche Solid and Storm Natural.

Why don't Morich produce a urethane ball also? :shock:
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

h34dbust wrote:I would really love if someone do a comparison video between Avalanche Urethane, Avalanche Solid and Storm Natural.

Why don't Morich produce a urethane ball also? :shock:

We, only, launch 3 balls a year. If we were full line across more price points, we'd do one.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)