Roto Grip Defiant or Brunswick Nexus Solid

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

dunnlw
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8 x 1 3/8^
Speed: 16+ mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 15*
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: Enigma, 716T, Dark Encounter
Medium Oil Ball: Omen, Game Breaker, Violent Eruption
Light Oil Ball: Freeze Solid, Cyclone
Preferred Company: Ebonite International Brands

Roto Grip Defiant or Brunswick Nexus Solid

Post by dunnlw »

Hi all - Is it raining bowling balls in 2011 or is it just me? I thought I had read somewhere that several of the manufacturers were going to reduce the number of new releases, It must have just been a dream.

Anyway, I was just looking to see what the general consensus of the group is when comparing the Defiant to the Nexus Solid. I realize the Nexus has been released, so there are more with experience with it than just the staff bowlers. The Defiant won't be out until January 10, that said.....I know some of you have thrown both.

Both companies have been making some really strong covers, and the numbers on the balls are basically identical. I suppose the Nexus has a tad bit lower RG and Diff, but they both have the same MB strength. Both are marketed to NEED oil to perform.

I've seen both balls, and I have to say just based on OOB appearance IMO the Nexus looks like it wants to soak up some oil a bit more than the cover on the Defiant, but looks can be deceiving. They even have very similar color schemes.

Which one creates more friction in the oil? Is there any difference in the intended hook shape design? Is there anyone that has been on the fence about needing a strong oil ball that was just about to buy the Nexus, but decided to wait for the Defiant now?

I just got a Critical Theory after having not thrown a Roto Grip ball since the Rogue Cell, and I have never had a Brunswick ball that grabs the lane like the CT. I think the reason I turned my back on Roto Grip was somehow I felt cheated by the Rogue Cell. The last time I ever threw the ball I came up 12 pins short of setting the new record for youngest female to bowl a 300. http://www.rotogrip.com/community/story ... nityid=798 I know.....it wasn't the ball. The CT has got me over that mental block.

I look forward to reading your debate, well at least I hope the question sparks one to read. ;)
Ashley N. Dunn
Age 16
I Bowl
Member of Junior Team USA Developmental Squad
State/National/International Champion
High Game 300
High Series 770 (44 700 Series To Date)
madapples
Preferred Company: storm roto grip

Re: Roto Grip Defiant or Brunswick Nexus Solid

Post by madapples »

Video of the Defiant are being released slowly but from the few I have seen show that the Defiant is the strongest Roto Grip ball to date. It plays about 4 boards stronger than the Critical Theory.

It jumps off the dry like none I've seen. I would say it out hooks the Nano.
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

Just wondering since Mo has given you a lot of help here why you don't consider the Hook/R rather than the other two balls? It would seem all three would be close in strength depending on layout/surface.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

scotts33 wrote:Just wondering since Mo has given you a lot of help here why you don't consider the Hook/R rather than the other two balls? It would seem all three would be close in strength depending on layout/surface.
Thanks, scotts33. She already has one in her possession. I'm working with her dad on exactly what layout to use, so it fits perfectly in her arsenal. It's her first MoRich ball. All the balls she's considering are heavy oil balls. Add the DestroyR and you have all the good heavy oil balls currently on the market. You know as well as I do that it takes time, or thorough testing, for the subtleties of each ball to become apparent. We do know that the nano is the smoothest of all. I believe there's the most definition at the breakpoint in the CT and the HookR. I believe the others are in the middle in terms of reaction at the breakpoint. Let's see.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

Mo Pinel wrote: Thanks, scotts33. She already has one in her possession. I'm working with her dad on exactly what layout to use, so it fits perfectly in her arsenal. It's her first MoRich ball. All the balls she's considering are heavy oil balls. Add the DestroyR and you have all the good heavy oil balls currently on the market. You know as well as I do that it takes time, or thorough testing, for the subtleties of each ball to become apparent. We do know that the nano is the smoothest of all. I believe there's the most definition at the breakpoint in the CT and the HookR. I believe the others are in the middle in terms of reaction at the breakpoint. Let's see.
Cool Mo! I'd use more of your stuff if they'd ever put down what we call lane conditioner in some parts of the universe....in my area. :D
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

scotts33 wrote:Just wondering since Mo has given you a lot of help here why you don't consider the Hook/R rather than the other two balls? It would seem all three would be close in strength depending on layout/surface.
We were all thinking it. You deserve a Brownie point for saying it.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

scotts33 wrote: Cool Mo! I'd use more of your stuff if they'd ever put down what we call lane conditioner in some parts of the universe....in my area. :D

Maybe soon!
dunnlw
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8 x 1 3/8^
Speed: 16+ mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 15*
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: Enigma, 716T, Dark Encounter
Medium Oil Ball: Omen, Game Breaker, Violent Eruption
Light Oil Ball: Freeze Solid, Cyclone
Preferred Company: Ebonite International Brands

Post by dunnlw »

elgavachon wrote: We were all thinking it. You deserve a Brownie point for saying it.
I couldn't wait, and decided I needed something with a slightly different look. I got the Nexus drilled before the HookR. Nexus is a great ball, it will fit right where I need it in my line up.

I'm glad I got the HookR though. Threw my first complete game with it tonight....299, 7 pin would not go down.

You were right that I should give some of Mo's stuff a try with all of the help he, and many of you have given me on this site. I hope that I can count on continued support, it has been very much appreciated. I hope to be able to give back through the forum at some point in the future, but as relates to my question directly I don't think your response was accurate.

The Defiant is still unknown, but sure it should be strong. We know the Nexus is strong, but I think there are some things about different ball designs that even designer layouts can't change. I am only 14, and have learned that from reading many posts, and a lot of experience on the lanes. You can't make the Nexus do what the HookR does, and I don't really think the HookR will do what the Nexus does. We don't really want them to do we?

There are a lot of balls in the pro-shops to chose from. No doubt many are very much the same, but every now and then a ball comes along that sets itself apart from the others. Look at the success of the Storm HyRoad as one example. I know there aren't a lot of EBI fans here because of their covers, but the Outburst has been, and is an incredibly versatile ball. If you've never thrown one...I highly recommend it. It is a lot of ball for the money. Most shops around here couldn't keep them in stock.

I think right now we may have 3 or 4 balls that are special. From my initial experience (and I've thrown A LOT of different balls) the HookR certainly seems like it is 1! (I want brownie points).

No disrespect intended, I just thought this might be a learning opportunity for some about ball designs, or at least give them cause for more thought. Sorry if it seems it came at your expense.

Happy Holidays Everyone.
Ashley N. Dunn
Age 16
I Bowl
Member of Junior Team USA Developmental Squad
State/National/International Champion
High Game 300
High Series 770 (44 700 Series To Date)
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

For a 14 yr old you post the most mature thought out posts \ replys I have ever read, it is quite refreshing.

I just wish my daughter would of had the same desire to be a great bowler as you have. She was a 190 bowler in high school and that was giving minimum effort, if she would of had your drive who knows what she could of acomplished.

Back on subject, I had not heard of the Defiant untill I read this post which got me looking around... My bag is missing a strong symetrical and this might fit in real nice. I have been kicking around picking up both Nexus balls but the more read \ watch on the Defiant, with my game 2 good symetricals will fit the bag better.
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

I had not heard of the Defiant untill I read this post which got me looking around... My bag is missing a strong symetrical and this might fit in real nice.
Just an FYI.......The Defiant is an asymmetrical in 15 it's lower Rg 2.49 .054 .017
http://rotogrip.com/products/balls/ball.asp?ballid=135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

my mistake.... Looking at the core it looked symetrical to me..

you know what they say about assume.....
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
BackInTheGame
THS Average: 193
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 1/4" up
Speed: 17.5 qubica monitor.
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 7
Heavy Oil Ball: Jet Altitude, MoRich Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Jet Armor, Cell Pearl, Cell, Anaconda
Light Oil Ball: Lane #1 Chainsaw
Preferred Company: No preferance

Post by BackInTheGame »

ICURNVS wrote:
Back on subject, I had not heard of the Defiant untill I read this post which got me looking around... My bag is missing a strong symetrical and this might fit in real nice. I have been kicking around picking up both Nexus balls but the more read \ watch on the Defiant, with my game 2 good symetricals will fit the bag better.
Since the Defiant is not symmetrical, perhaps the Agressive Motion or the Jet Altitude would fit your need? Both are strong covered symmetricals.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

ICURNVS wrote:my mistake.... Looking at the core it looked symetrical to me..

you know what they say about assume.....
It's elliptical with ridges.
BCP27
Speed: 13 on monitor
Heavy Oil Ball: Hopefully a Raptor P7 or a DestroyR soon
Medium Oil Ball: 2furious, I don't have any other balls right now
Light Oil Ball: my ol' Tropical Storm.
Preferred Company: Unknown

Post by BCP27 »

BackInTheGame wrote:
Since the Defiant is not symmetrical, perhaps the Agressive Motion or the Jet Altitude would fit your need? Both are strong covered symmetricals.
Don't leave out the Marvel, that has the original Virtual Gravity's cover on a low rg high diff symmetric core, OOB 2000 abralon.

Mo, please explain what they mean their talk about this core's different axis migration. I want to know how this effects the motion!
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

BCP27 wrote:
I also like the part in the video where the guy pretty much says most of you are too dumb to understand axis migration so just watch the ball roll.
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

ICURNVS wrote:
I also like the part in the video where the guy pretty much says most of you are too dumb to understand axis migration so just watch the ball roll.

Where is this video you guys are talking about? Can you provide a link or did i miss it in an earlier post? Thanks..
Last edited by MathIsTruth on March 18th, 2021, 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

Right at the start the guy is showing the core and explaining how the shape is going to give it a unique axis migration "which you probably dont understand" or something like that

[youtube][/youtube]
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

ICURNVS wrote:Right at the start the guy is showing the core and explaining how the shape is going to give it a unique axis migration "which you probably dont understand" or something like that

[youtube][/youtube]
Before MathIsTruth gets started on this, I'd like to comment. I believe it's an excellent ball and an excellent video. I have only one minor issue. ALL bowling balls with migrate along the RG contour of the Bowler's PAP. That's governed by the laws of the universe. Therefore, in order to create a unique migration path, you must create a unique RG contour for that ball. ALL balls have RG contours that use the low and high RG axis as the centroid for the RG contours. The higher the differential ratio, the more of the RG contours that are centered around the high RG axis, and the flatter those ellipses. That's just pure science and math. I will test the migratory path of the Defiant, but I believe it still follows those laws of motion. The ridges on this 3 dimensional elliptical core emulate some of those contours. The Defiant, from all reports, has a strong midlane breakpoint with definition and a strong cover. Microspheres do add friction because they have been used before. Not knowing the composition of those microspheres, I can't comment on how unique they are to this ball.

In conclusion, the Defiant is an excellent heavy oil ball. From the initial reports I get, it's in the area of the DestroyR in shape and hook. The BJI gave the DestroyR its' first 60 hook rating ever.

Good luck to Roto Grip on the success of what appears to be from first reports a very good heavy oil ball.
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

Mo the process used for the cover stock on this ball, the nano and the Nexus line is it the same process just worded different or completly different processes that yield similar results?

Do you see this becoming the "norm" for future "heavy oil" balls industry wide?
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375