Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New Stuff Just in - update + coaching
 Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 266
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
UPS man just dropped off some new toys

MoRich Mania : 40*x4.25"x30* P3.5


Hammer Cherry Vibe : 50*x4.5"x45* P2
(link fell through, so I went with this instead)

Both have fingers @ 3" depth and x holes 2.75" deep x 3/4" wide

Hopefully I'll get a chance to throw them Friday!


Last edited by MattCosta7 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
MattCosta7 wrote:
UPS man just dropped off some new toys

MoRich Mania : 40*x4.25"x30* P3.5


Hammer Cherry Vibe : 50*x4.5"x45* P2
(link fell through, so I went with this instead)

Both have fingers @ 3" depth and x holes 2.75" deep.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to throw them Friday!


Let me know how it goes.


Last edited by Mo Pinel on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 7, 2010
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MattCosta7 wrote:
UPS man just dropped off some new toys

MoRich Mania : 40*x4.25"x30* P3.5


Hammer Cherry Vibe : 50*x4.5"x45* P2
(link fell through, so I went with this instead)

Both have fingers @ 3" depth and x holes 2.75" deep.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to throw them Friday!


Who drilled them for you?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 266
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Motogp69 wrote:
MattCosta7 wrote:
UPS man just dropped off some new toys
Who drilled them for you?


I have been getting stuffed drilled at buddies. They're about 45 minutes from my house. I was having fit issues with grips for years, tried a few people who could never get it quite right. Went there, and in 20 minutes Chris had everything dialed.

Prior to that, i had a huge burn on the inside of my thumb, and the back was getting torn up.

Initial Impressions:

Mania

I am going to have to reserve my impressions until I get a chance to throw it on something more substantial. The Mania needs alot more head oil than I was seeing to come alive.

If I lofted it, sped up, and added rotation/tilt, I could see that it reads the lane extremely well especially in the midlane, and never stops. I think it was reading through the pindeck and the pit too!

However, with my A release, I had a very tight, deep line to the pocket. Alittle outside rollout, alittle inside and it drove harder. This is a shot I need to work on. Getting inside of the 4th arrow if a weakness of mine, which the Mania at its box finish could assist me in overcoming.

It wasn't the ball for this condition, and I bought it knowing this. I'll have to voyage further to see it really come alive.
Now to go find something of a decent amount of oil so I can really see how it rolls

I might try it at 4000, or put a light coat over the 1000, to get alittle more length out of it for around here, but I bought it as a strong tournament piece, and that's what it will most likely stay as.


Cherry Vibe

Cherry Vibe gave me a good consistent reaction. Not too snappy, but strong in the Backend, however it got down the lane extremely smoothly. an easy 5 feet longer than my Raw Hammer Burn, with a much later read of the lane. Exactly as intended. When the Burn gets over/under from sitting in the oil too long, or reading the lane too quickly if it hits the dry, the Cherry takes over nicely.

to Motogp: is the 69 showing that you're a Hayden fan? If so, he had a rough season, hopefully year 2 on that bike will workout better for him. I expect a big season out of Lorenzo personally. And very excited for Moto2

to Mo: I should be seeing Mike Luongo Sunday Morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I' very excited to get some good coaching.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
MattCosta7 wrote:
Motogp69 wrote:
MattCosta7 wrote:
UPS man just dropped off some new toys
Who drilled them for you?


I have been getting stuffed drilled at buddies. They're about 45 minutes from my house. I was having fit issues with grips for years, tried a few people who could never get it quite right. Went there, and in 20 minutes Chris had everything dialed.

Prior to that, i had a huge burn on the inside of my thumb, and the back was getting torn up.

Initial Impressions:

Mania

I am going to have to reserve my impressions until I get a chance to throw it on something more substantial. The Mania needs alot more head oil than I was seeing to come alive.

If I lofted it, sped up, and added rotation/tilt, I could see that it reads the lane extremely well especially in the midlane, and never stops. I think it was reading through the pindeck and the pit too!

However, with my A release, I had a very tight, deep line to the pocket. Alittle outside rollout, alittle inside and it drove harder. This is a shot I need to work on. Getting inside of the 4th arrow if a weakness of mine, which the Mania at its box finish could assist me in overcoming.

It wasn't the ball for this condition, and I bought it knowing this. I'll have to voyage further to see it really come alive.
Now to go find something of a decent amount of oil so I can really see how it rolls

I might try it at 4000, or put a light coat over the 1000, to get alittle more length out of it for around here, but I bought it as a strong tournament piece, and that's what it will most likely stay as.


Cherry Vibe

Cherry Vibe gave me a good consistent reaction. Not too snappy, but strong in the Backend, however it got down the lane extremely smoothly. an easy 5 feet longer than my Raw Hammer Burn, with a much later read of the lane. Exactly as intended. When the Burn gets over/under from sitting in the oil too long, or reading the lane too quickly if it hits the dry, the Cherry takes over nicely.

to Motogp: is the 69 showing that you're a Hayden fan? If so, he had a rough season, hopefully year 2 on that bike will workout better for him. I expect a big season out of Lorenzo personally. And very excited for Moto2

to Mo: I should be seeing Mike Luongo Sunday Morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I' very excited to get some good coaching.


If you want to change the surface on the mania to make it more versatile at home, start with 2000. You can always put it back to 1000, or even rougher for tournament conditions when you travel. You'll enjoy Mike. His name also ends in a vowel.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:52 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 266
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Update:

I went for a lesson today with Mike Luongo. He was extremely personable, and an excellent coach. We discussed alittle of my history, where I want to get to in bowling, as well as what my strengths weaknesses might be.

Mo, thanks for updating Mike a little prior to my meeting him. He had a good idea of my previous grip issues, as well as an idea of my game prior to meeting me.

Using storms "See Your Game" software we sat and looked over my entire approach and release. He gave quick, simple changes, and explained them easily. This made it intuitive to mold these concepts into my swing.

The major areas we focused on were the "push-away".
--Going from a Present and lock elbow, to a more fluid, sliding-hinge style pushaway.

--Next we looked at how this caused me to pull the ball back into the swing, rather than "walking by the ball" and allowing gravity to carry it.

--Then we took note of the top of the swing. Here he showed me where I was pulling the ball down into the release, torquing my upper body from the shoulders. Here we focused on letting the ball fall into the release, and leading the shoulder, rather than the shoulder leading the ball.

--Lastly we looked at the release point, and went toward a more open handed release, letting gravity pull the ball off the hand (having the ball release the thumb-not the other way around).

Overall results are imrpessive. I can really feel the difference between "good" and "not-so-good" shots, which makes it easy to notice what's wrong on my own.

When this is all implemented into my game, I was able to keep my RPMs at my A game level, but got impressive length out of stronger balls. This allowed the ball roll to push further, and retain energy longer, rather than checking up early, as had been the case with my grabbier-release point.


Having gotten better use of the Mania today, I am extremely impressed with it! Gets through the fronts very well, and reads the midlane very impressively, without giving up anything on the backend.

The layout you provided for it was spot-on as well. Mike even commented on how the ball was laid out perfectly, based on its hook shape and where it stopped hooking.

Link to "see your game" video.
http://storm.seeyourgame.com/clientvide ... STB4035711

Points remember
1) Stay loose at setup. Draw mental line from pins, through breakpoint, back to arrow marks.
2) Sliding hinge pushaway, don't lock elbow. Let gravity pull ball down.
3) Walk past the ball
4) Let gravity carry from the top of the swing down
5) Stick the finish, deep knee bend.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in
 Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:26 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
MattCosta7 wrote:
Update:

I went for a lesson today with Mike Luongo. He was extremely personable, and an excellent coach. We discussed alittle of my history, where I want to get to in bowling, as well as what my strengths weaknesses might be.

Mo, thanks for updating Mike a little prior to my meeting him. He had a good idea of my previous grip issues, as well as an idea of my game prior to meeting me.

Using storms "See Your Game" software we sat and looked over my entire approach and release. He gave quick, simple changes, and explained them easily. This made it intuitive to mold these concepts into my swing.

The major areas we focused on were the "push-away".
--Going from a Present and lock elbow, to a more fluid, sliding-hinge style pushaway.

--Next we looked at how this caused me to pull the ball back into the swing, rather than "walking by the ball" and allowing gravity to carry it.

--Then we took note of the top of the swing. Here he showed me where I was pulling the ball down into the release, torquing my upper body from the shoulders. Here we focused on letting the ball fall into the release, and leading the shoulder, rather than the shoulder leading the ball.

--Lastly we looked at the release point, and went toward a more open handed release, letting gravity pull the ball off the hand (having the ball release the thumb-not the other way around).

Overall results are imrpessive. I can really feel the difference between "good" and "not-so-good" shots, which makes it easy to notice what's wrong on my own.

When this is all implemented into my game, I was able to keep my RPMs at my A game level, but got impressive length out of stronger balls. This allowed the ball roll to push further, and retain energy longer, rather than checking up early, as had been the case with my grabbier-release point.


Having gotten better use of the Mania today, I am extremely impressed with it! Gets through the fronts very well, and reads the midlane very impressively, without giving up anything on the backend.

The layout you provided for it was spot-on as well. Mike even commented on how the ball was laid out perfectly, based on its hook shape and where it stopped hooking.

Link to "see your game" video.
http://storm.seeyourgame.com/clientvide ... STB4035711

Points remember
1) Stay loose at setup. Draw mental line from pins, through breakpoint, back to arrow marks.
2) Sliding hinge pushaway, don't lock elbow. Let gravity pull ball down.
3) Walk past the ball
4) Let gravity carry from the top of the swing down
5) Stick the finish, deep knee bend.


I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER! I knew he'd do the job. He very experienced, thorough, and detail oriented. Glad you liked it.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in - update + coaching
 Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:21 am Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: January 18, 2010
Posts: 266
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
And did it ever come together

I threw tonight, 8 games on the Nationals Pattern. Slightly higher volume, on a higher friction surface AMF-Synthetic

Using Mike's instruction and the MANIA you suggested, I went -68 for 8. This is the first time I've thrown on anything beside a house shot since returning to the sport in January.
--This included a 268. (Don't normally practice with score, but I wanted to see how I could shoot on a tougher pattern.)

I know that I wasn't making great shots all the time, but the ones that were, felt and rolled great. I have a long way to go, but definitely feel that this rate of change was higher because of what i learned.

Next steps on my part:
1. Continue doing what I learned, and focusing on my key points.
2. Seek out, and throw on as many sport / pba level shots as I can.

Any advise on starting out with the regional circuit is appreciated. I know I'm not as good as most of the people I'll see, but there's no way to get better, without at first being the worst.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: New Stuff Just in - update + coaching
 Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
MattCosta7 wrote:
And did it ever come together

I threw tonight, 8 games on the Nationals Pattern. Slightly higher volume, on a higher friction surface AMF-Synthetic

Using Mike's instruction and the MANIA you suggested, I went -68 for 8. This is the first time I've thrown on anything beside a house shot since returning to the sport in January.
--This included a 268. (Don't normally practice with score, but I wanted to see how I could shoot on a tougher pattern.)

I know that I wasn't making great shots all the time, but the ones that were, felt and rolled great. I have a long way to go, but definitely feel that this rate of change was higher because of what i learned.

Next steps on my part:
1. Continue doing what I learned, and focusing on my key points.
2. Seek out, and throw on as many sport / pba level shots as I can.

Any advise on starting out with the regional circuit is appreciated. I know I'm not as good as most of the people I'll see, but there's no way to get better, without at first being the worst.


You're on the right track. I saw the video Mike took. I recommend a little softer at the finish. Let the knee continue smoothly at the finish. SOFT KNEES CARRY CORNER PINS! SMOOOOOTH! A little softer hand. Don't break the egg! As you can tell, I believe in visualization. You can do this.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » Ball Talk


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: