900 Global Link, drilling?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

900 Global Link, drilling?

Post by MattCosta7 »

Has anyone seen this thrown, I might have landed on one of these, and curious as to how weak it actually is. I've read the BTM article, which puts this on par with the urethane Natural in terms of overall hook, but a bit longer and more on the back.

Is this a super weak cover, where a stronger drilling is suggested to get it started up, or leave it on the weaker side for it to do as intended.

My goal drilling it would be having something I can square up when I get deep enough to encounter over/under with my burn, rather than throwing something stronger from the deeper lines (inside 4th arrow). Also be interested in giving this a throw on shorter patterns, in the 35-38 foot range.

My Raw Hammer Burn is about 40 x 4.5 x 30 with a hole 3/8 below PAP on VAL
Me
PAP 4 5/8 x 15/16 up
15-16degrees tilt
75degrees axis rotation
~350rpm
About 18.5-19.0 mph off the hand prefered

Would you suggest a similar drilling, allowing the cover/core to be the separation factor, or go alittle higher on the val, drill angles, and pin to keep it weak?

Looking to fit it a step and a half under my Burn, and a step and a half above my Plastic.

Mo, btw, I'll be adding that Mania you suggested 40x4x30P3.5 as well shortly. But, I couldn't pass up the deal on this one.
MattCosta7
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Re: 900 Global Link, drilling?

Post by MattCosta7 »

no opinions on laying this one out, or impressions of it in general?
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

The Link has a moderately week coverstock with an ever so slightly asymetrical weight block. It's not a high flaring baall and stores it's energy for the backend, I've sold a couple to bowlers who have commented that it sometimes gets a little flippy on the backend, but some of that is probably because at the time I wasn't as familiar with the nuances of dual angles and drilled them to be long and strong.

I'm still not that familiar with the nitty gritty of the dual angle technique but was thinking drill it with a higher drilling angle for late revs, a medium or longish pin to pap distance so it will burn off more energy as it goes down the lane, and a medium to high VAL angle to keep the transition smoother. Exactly what those numbers would be for you is what I'm still learning, I'm still trying to decipher all the posts talking about finding a persons sweet spot et all.

Here is my still trying to become more educated guess...Your speed and revs look fairly matched, your axis rotation is slightly high, and your tilt is medium, so a drilling angle of about 80°, 4.5" pin to pap, and 50° off the VAL. One part of that I'm not sure about is the pin to pap, with an asymetrical ball you will get more forward roll out of a longer pin distance which I'm thinking would be a good thing for a straight up the boards shot given your rev rate, but it is a very weak asymetrical block so I'm not sure how much that thought applies.
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

BUMP (and a late PS...)

As some one else mentioned in another thread you might want to wait for a more experienced opinion before going with my suggestion. If you don't want to wait or have already done it, let me know how it turns out for you as I won't learn anything otherwise. Thanks!
odddood
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 and 0
Speed: 16 mph
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Vivid /Rex
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti
Light Oil Ball: IQ Tour
Preferred Company: Radical / Motive / Storm