Your New Arsenal

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

charlest

Re: Your New Arsenal

Post by charlest »

mmcfarland300 wrote:I can't seem to match up with Ebo but I wish I could match up with the Lanbreaker it looks nice downlane.
I almost bought a LaneBreaker after listening to Ken's stories about his 36 clean and 300s and 800s, but common sense prevailed. I have too many balls already (and not enough common sense) and more ready to be drilled when the "perversion" hits me again. :D Besides few can do to a ball what Ken can. I'm happy when I get to the foul line and haven't permanently disabled myself.

He's supposed to give me more lessons on Wednesday but you and I know it ain't gonna help much.:D
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
charlest

Post by charlest »

mmcfarland300 wrote:I can't seem to match up with Ebo but I wish I could match up with the Lanbreaker it looks nice downlane.
You'd probably need to sand it to P2000 grit. According ot BTM's reviews, it's a hair stronger in the backend and hooks a hair more overall. Not a huge difference but a difference. If you find a cheap used one, it could be an interesting experiment. (no joke)
Right handed
Krumpy300

Post by Krumpy300 »

The LB is a nice piece. It gets through the heads easily, but has a distinct roll to it, heavy while still being continuous. For me, it is a nice step down compared to the One Pearl. When the strong core of the OP starts taking over, I switch to the LB, mostly because it is going to be more controlled off the spot.

Very pleased with it so far.
Krumpy300

Post by Krumpy300 »

charlest wrote: I almost bought a LaneBreaker after listening to Ken's stories about his 36 clean and 300s and 800s, but common sense prevailed. I have too many balls already (and not enough common sense) and more ready to be drilled when the "perversion" hits me again. :D Besides few can do to a ball what Ken can. I'm happy when I get to the foul line and haven't permanently disabled myself.

He's supposed to give me more lessons on Wednesday but you and I know it ain't gonna help much.:D
Thanks for the kind words as always, and as always you went overboard :)
We'll get you back on track tomorrow, the muscle memory is still there, just have to snap it back into place LOL.
Krumpy300

Post by Krumpy300 »

charlest wrote: You'd probably need to sand it to P2000 grit. According ot BTM's reviews, it's a hair stronger in the backend and hooks a hair more overall. Not a huge difference but a difference. If you find a cheap used one, it could be an interesting experiment. (no joke)
I agree with Charlest. With the right surface prep, it could be a very useful ball compared to some of the super skid/snap stuff coming out.
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

I have had a few Ebo pieces and tried different surfaces and drillings and something about the roll just doesnt fit me. I have been happy with Hammer though.
"Another day will bring a different result"
"Pick your battles because stressing over things will not change an outcome"
charlest

Post by charlest »

charlest wrote: So now (Sept. 21, 2009) my "arsenal" sits at
- Counter Strike/Terminator Rebellion
- Creature Solid/Avalanche Pearl
- Blue-Green Centaur
The above BG Centaur at P4000 grit matte was too strong/early, as was when I sanded it to P1500 grit and added Snake Oil polish.
The Creature left 7 pins and 10 pins almost no matter what line I played. So my assumption: it's too early, too strong.
Same for the Avalanche Pearl. (Both have pins under)

Nov. 5, 2009, Thursday. Preparing for the same Friday league tomorrow with which I used the above "arsenals". That's in quotes, because of the incredible irony of how much the lanes have, rather the oil pattern, has changed since the start of the season, with the new Kegel Kustodian machine.

My current arsenal for this house is now
1. Hot Rod Pearl at P4000 grit matte, pin in ring, CG stacked below (4x4).
2. D/T Concept Xxtra, at P4000 grit + high gloss polish, pin under ring, CG in grip center (4x5).
3. B'wick Power Groove solid, pin under middle finger, CG in grip center., high gloss polish (6x5).

I could probably use the BG Centaur at P4000 grit + polish. It is at that, but the above balls worked in practice 2x this week. The Hot Rod work last week, playing the 3rd arrow, standing 30. we'll see tomorrow night.
Right handed
Amateur
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13-14

Post by Amateur »

This is my arsenal

Avalanche Solid (70 x 2 1/2 x 50 or 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2, 4000 Abralon)

Literally, just that. I don't need anything much weaker or stronger, surface changes can be made if I do.
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

Adding a Lunatic very excited.
"Another day will bring a different result"
"Pick your battles because stressing over things will not change an outcome"
Krumpy300

Post by Krumpy300 »

Didn't take me long to "grow" the arsenal :)

Have had success with most of what I have drilled so far with Ebo. I don't see much heavy oil, even the PBAX league that I am in is on softer HPL's so I don't technically have a 'oiler".

Pearl One drilled 5" to PAP with the mb at 70*. Success on Viper and Scorpion with it. Good ball to open the lane up on a THS.

2 Lanebreakers one is at 5" under the ring stacked. The other is 6" to PAP at 45*. A good five board difference between the two and a good 3 feet in length as well.

Magic Touch 5" to PAP and mb at 70*, took me a while to find a surface that worked for me. 2000 ab plus Snake Oil seems to work best on true mediums. Great ball to go down the boards with. Controlled finish overall. I have a nice 3 ball rotation starting with the pin under LB, then to the MT and finishing with the 6" LB depending on the amount of games I am bowling.

Smash is 5" pin under ring stacked and I have a Boom at 5.5 and 60*. The Smash is much earlier than the Boom but more rolly at the breakpoint. The Smash is great down the boards and when it burns up, I can open up the lane with the Boom. The Boom isn't skid/snap, but it does finish harder than the Smash.

Still playing with a Pinslasher, ONE, Bash, and Striking Motion..

Ken
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

Need to update this a bit for me.

Hammer Jigsaw, 5-1/2" Pin to PAP, 55° MB placement pin located above my Bridge, surface is 4000 abralon stepped up through the grits

Storm Virtual Energy, 5-1/2" Pin to PAP, 55° MB placement pin located above my Bridge, surface is 4000 abralon stepped up through the grits

Hammer Onyx Vibe

Columbia Freeze, 4" x 4" Pin up layout (looks like a 1 o'clock label layout), Ball is kept at box finish and is much stronger than originally thought, rolls awesome and is great for inner angles and stepping down from my V.E. and is used a ton as the only ball during league

Storm Rapid Fire Pearl, 5-1/2" Pin to PAP, pin located above my Bridge, surface is 4000 abralon stepped up through the grits and then glossed with two coats of ebonite polish. This is my dry lane ball now, my tropical is no longer serviceable and this ball really had faded in strength and this surface actually makes it weaker than what my tropical was.

Lane 1 Liberator, 4" x 4" Pin up layout (looks like a 1 o'clock label layout), Change of pace/practice ball, doesn't travel with me that often but gets used a lot when practicing to work on ball placement on the lanes

Visionary Blue Green Centaur

Columbia Blue Dot
asdfg68plus1

Post by asdfg68plus1 »

MegaMav wrote: Jade Quantum - High Load Particle
Brunswick Fury
Ebonite Black Ice
Columbia Icon or Jade Quantum
Spare ball

I should be getting a Black Widow Solid in not too long (FINALLY) I have wanted that ball since it came out, so I'm excited.

Hey Eric, if you ever feel the need to get rid of the Jade Quantum, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands, I can't redrill mine for my hand because it's cracking, so thankfully I fit my brother's specs well. I would like to get another though.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

asdfg68plus1 wrote: Hey Eric, if you ever feel the need to get rid of the Jade Quantum, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands, I can't redrill mine for my hand because it's cracking, so thankfully I fit my brother's specs well. I would like to get another though.
Thanks Peter, but I've already plugged redrilled it.
I have yet to find a pattern with enough volume to use this ball.
I'll be saving it for PBA Experience next summer.

I love the Imperial Quantum, this ball has a similar core, but a higher load particle coverstock. It rolls for days!

A video... someday...