Opinions on these two balls please...

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

stopncrank

Opinions on these two balls please...

Post by stopncrank »

Here are a few balls in my arsenal that may need weight holes, based on the shift of the pin and cg.

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... dnoize.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... 1056-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The driller of these balls said they didnt need weight holes, I find that hard to beleive seeing that much of a shift of the pin and cg.

As a side note, based on these layouts, how much of a difference reaction wise would i see by placing a weight hole on them?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Opinions on these two balls please...

Post by MegaMav »

Without knowing anything about you, we cant give anything useful back.
Please read the sticky in Mo & Friends Layout and Ball Advice forum and calculate your release specs.
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Sorry, I was so caught up trying to upload the photos, then the site doesnt accept bitmap images....

my specs are: 400-425 rev rate, as of this past weekend 15.5 mph qubica,
med tilt, and ive never measured it but my new driller say I have high axis rotation. my pap is 5" over and 1/2" down, and im right handed.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

stopncrank wrote: med tilt, and ive never measured it but my new driller say I have high axis rotation.
Use the wiki to calculate tilt, you can get a good estimate on rotation by eye if you know what you're looking at.
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Megamav, after talking with my driller(after i looked at the Wiki) my axis rotation is about 50 degrees normally but I can get to 90 if i need to with hand positions.

As for tillt, I will measure my track diameter today and post it later. Sorry for the inconvienience! Im a newbie when it comes to all this stuff, but I want to learn as much about my game as I can. In my area, most drillers just dont take the time to do all this, so Im left doing it by myself!
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

With less than 3 oz of top weight, it is very possible those layouts do not require a balance hole.

That doesn't mean that you can't further tune the reaction with a GLBH.
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Ok, so after referring to the Wiki and then throwing some shots and measuring I came up with a Track Dia. of 12.5 inches which by the chart on the Wiki converts to 7 degrees of tilt.

So basically my stats look like this:
400-425 Rev Rate
15.5 mph Qubica Scorers
Track Diameter 12.5"
7 Degrees of Tilt
45-90 Degrees Axis Rotation(depending on hand postion)
river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Post by river800 »

Nice! Good job stopncrank:)

Have you gotten a basic wiki fit on here yet as far as span and pitches in fingers and thumb go?
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

I started to refer him to the article on gradient line balance holes but thought I should check to see if it's been updated for the new information Mo has given us in the last few days. -- JohnP
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Actually I have been doing some serious reading on the Wiki and although I havent made my mind up yet I think I may go with a P4 hole on the Virtual.

As for the Wiki fit, although I am open to that I dont think I want to change pitches like that in the middle of a season. I did some pitch changes, specifically taking out what appeared to be too much reverse pitch in my thumb.

I had been struggling with just getting out of the ball clean for a while, and finally broke down and went to another shop. My stuff was at 3/8" reverse. After some work, Im now at 1/8 reverse and am throwing it better than I have in years.

Thanks for the replies, though!
river800

Post by river800 »

stopncrank wrote:Actually I have been doing some serious reading on the Wiki and although I havent made my mind up yet I think I may go with a P4 hole on the Virtual.

As for the Wiki fit, although I am open to that I dont think I want to change pitches like that in the middle of a season. I did some pitch changes, specifically taking out what appeared to be too much reverse pitch in my thumb.

I had been struggling with just getting out of the ball clean for a while, and finally broke down and went to another shop. My stuff was at 3/8" reverse. After some work, Im now at 1/8 reverse and am throwing it better than I have in years.

Thanks for the replies, though!
That's good that you are throwing it better now. I bet with the 3/8 reverse you were squeezing it not allowing you release very efficiently. Is your span stretched at all? For starters at least get a basic fit from the wiki for now so when you do go change it then you will already have that info.

What makes you want to put a p4 hole in the virtual gravity? Is it not turning over for you very well, or is it burning up? With where the cg is, you would have to drill the fingers like 3 1/2 deep to be able to put a p4 hole in there. Do you remember how much top weight the virtual gravity had?
Stats:
Right handed
Tilt in the 14-16* range
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Couldnt begin to tell you what the top weight was! I have been toying with the surface on the Virtual since the first resurfacing I had to get over a year ago. Seems that no matter what surface I put on it, its nowhere close to the original reaction. Which makes me think maybe the P4 hole would enhance the motion somewhat? Thoughts?
river800

Post by river800 »

stopncrank wrote:Couldnt begin to tell you what the top weight was! I have been toying with the surface on the Virtual since the first resurfacing I had to get over a year ago. Seems that no matter what surface I put on it, its nowhere close to the original reaction. Which makes me think maybe the P4 hole would enhance the motion somewhat? Thoughts?
When you say enhance the motion, is the virtual not hooking enough or have the backend that it had?
Stats:
Right handed
Tilt in the 14-16* range
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

river800 wrote: When you say enhance the motion, is the virtual not hooking enough or have the backend that it had?

Exactly! Where it used to be strong and continous on the back now it reads the mids then just rolls...Surface or balance hole? I have it at 1000, then 2000 no polish btw.
Basically it is only useful on/with straighter angles.
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kwettig »

I would imagine if your virtual isn't hooking like it used to it needs to be revived. I put mine in our revivor and it came back to 100% original hook. It took well over two hours to get all the oil out of the cover. Try to find a shop that has a revivor and you won't be disappointed.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
river800

Post by river800 »

kwettig wrote:I would imagine if your virtual isn't hooking like it used to it needs to be revived. I put mine in our revivor and it came back to 100% original hook. It took well over two hours to get all the oil out of the cover. Try to find a shop that has a revivor and you won't be disappointed.
I agree, take it to a shop that has a reviver oven, but first have the ball sanded to 360 so the pores get opened up then stick it in the oven until it is done ;) Then, try 500 abralon with 2k over that or 1k then 4k abralon over that and see how that does and report back.
Stats:
Right handed
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Nsane »

After viewing the Pic of the VG, I think a P4 is on this Ball is not possilble. P4 will be too close by the thumbhole. Max i think is a P 3.5.
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by kwettig »

Nsane wrote:After viewing the Pic of the VG, I think a P4 is on this Ball is not possilble. P4 will be too close by the thumbhole. Max i think is a P 3.5.
There's room for a P4. The distance from the thumb to the PSA and the pitch of the hole have to be 2 1/2". Though as river said the fingers would have to be DEEP...not that there's anything wrong with that. What I would do is revive it and bring it back close to factory, 500/4000 seems to be close, then decide on a hole or more or less surface or both.
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

I wish it were that easy! All of my equipment has been Rejuvinated! I did that before I came on here to ask. As I have said earlier, I have played with the surface on it time and time again and other than the weight hole, maybe Im just not seeing enough volume?

After thinking back over the weekend, other high end balls like the Trifecta for instance, gave me the same reaction. Maybe for my style the high end solids just burn off too much energy?
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by kwettig »

If it's burning up you need to decrease surface friction. Try 4000 abralon and if that's not smooth enough add just a little polish. Other than that you may need to find some oil, or, find some tilt by cocking your wrist.
Kyle Wettig
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI