Symmetric versus Asymmetric?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Symmetric versus Asymmetric?

Post by magicmike »

So, which do you prefer and why? Or do you like both? Also elaborate.

For me I enjoy both but prefer symmetrics, they seems less finicky when I change my Axis Rotation or make adjustments with my release and physics game. The asymmetrics can be awesome but they seem to be all or nothing in my hands. Both have places in my bag but there is a big reason behiend why I only have one asymmetric in my bag right now.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Symmetric versus Asymmetric?

Post by MegaMav »

magicmike wrote:So, which do you prefer and why? Or do you like both? Also elaborate.

For me I enjoy both but prefer symmetrics, they seems less finicky when I change my Axis Rotation or make adjustments with my release and physics game. The asymmetrics can be awesome but they seem to be all or nothing in my hands. Both have places in my bag but there is a big reason behiend why I only have one asymmetric in my bag right now.
I own both and have had success with both.
My preference though is symmetric.
Why? Just easier to keep legal with any given specs.
When the marked mass bias comes into play, your static weight is at the mercy of the Pin and MB placement.
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

I have had little success with assymetric until recently with my Cell Pearl. Overall I would prefer Symmetric because of reasons already posted.
"Another day will bring a different result"
"Pick your battles because stressing over things will not change an outcome"
CLT2244
THS Average: 199
Speed: 15.5-16
Heavy Oil Ball: Mutant Cell / 930T
Medium Oil Ball: Nomad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Clear Wolf
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by CLT2244 »

Symmetric cause of my high rev rate, they are smoother at the break point and tend to just roll better for my game.
Only throwing the good stuff, Roto Grip/900 Global
Amateur
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13-14

Post by Amateur »

I don't think I have a preference. At least, I won't rule out a ball as an option for me simply because of its core type. How I'm throwing the ball is going to be more of a factor in how good my ball reaction is in my opinion. I've had success with both. And don't have much reason to believe one promotes a certain ball motion more than the other.
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

Here is the thing with asymmetrics imo with the use of MB you can absolutely dictate ball motion and fine tune it.
charlest

Post by charlest »

No one has has a worse time or expense with asymmetric than I, but over the past 2 years, I've learned that the MB position is of as much importance in getting the proper ball reaction as is the pin position. In fact, as someone has already mentioned, the wrong MB placement can destroy the right pin placement.

So much so, that I'd guess, if you're having problems with an asymmetric and if you can average 200 or more on a house condition, then in the 95% case, the problem is in the MB position.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

charlest wrote:No one has has a worse time or expense with asymmetric than I, but over the past 2 years, I've learned that the MB position is of as much importance in getting the proper ball reaction as is the pin position. In fact, as someone has already mentioned, the wrong MB placement can destroy the right pin placement.

So much so, that I'd guess, if you're having problems with an asymmetric and if you can average 200 or more on a house condition, then in the 95% case, the problem is in the MB position.

Agree 100% some drillings just don't work for people.
Amateur
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13-14

Post by Amateur »

It just came to my attention recently, that the pin position on asymmetrics is not going to give the same result as the same pin position on an asymmetric. Actually, I've heard that before, but it was brought up again. I had read Mo's dual angle technique article, which lays out how each of the core types flares for a given position. The concept of how it works for asymmetrics sort of confused me so I ignored it until now.

Anyways, I guess I'm just trying to point out that it's possible we just don't put the right pin position on these balls. What I'm wondering is, if the MB is about just as important as the pin position, is it best to position them to do the same thing rather than to do opposites(i.e 5x5 seems more productive than a 5x3)?
mmcfarland300

Post by mmcfarland300 »

In an Assym. Ball I would opt to say that the MB is every bit as important as Pin Position
charlest

Post by charlest »

Amateur wrote: Anyways, I guess I'm just trying to point out that it's possible we just don't put the right pin position on these balls. What I'm wondering is, if the MB is about just as important as the pin position, is it best to position them to do the same thing rather than to do opposites(i.e 5x5 seems more productive than a 5x3)?
The problem that concept brings up is that you can't think in those terms on asymmetric cored balls. That assumes the pin acts like it does in symmetric balls and it doesn't. The MB, as you move it from its midpoint (the sharpest breakpoint) towards the VAL, makes the ball's breakpoint earlier. AS you move the MB from its midpoint towards the bowler's track, it makes the beakpoint later and smother. This is vaguely similar to the pin movement on a symmetric ball from leverage towards the PAP (less flare) and from leverage away from the PAP (less flare).
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
FBM357
Preferred Company: Storm ... Global .. all else

Post by FBM357 »

I own both, but prefer symmetric over asymm. Though I've had success with asymm, but it's far shorter than symm. Asymm tends to be, IMO, very 'drill' specific. Most of my asymm equipment is for oily conditions (which I seldom see unless tournament or 1 of my leagues). Symmetrical stuff gives me a vast array of options, especially with cover prep.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

People,

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DRILLED SYMMETRICAL BALL!
You are debating a moot point. Once you put holes in any ball, it becomes asymmetrical. Which means it has a PSA and an intermediate differential. All drilled balls are aymmetrical, but with different degrees of asymmetry. Come join us on "MO AND FRIENDS AND ASK EXPERTS YOUR QUESTIONS!" You'll get accurate answers to your questions. I promise!

Controlling the actual location of the PSA of the drilled ball is the key to the ball reaction. Math Is Truth is brilliant in his explanations of that in our forum. Join us!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Six Pack
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5x0
Speed: 16-19
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: track phenom
Medium Oil Ball: several-Intanse inferno,ogre ss,ogre pearl,widow venom
Light Oil Ball: black hammer urethane
Preferred Company: any?

Post by Six Pack »

for an arc type reaction I've done better with symetrical drilled strong over asymetrical.
for long and strong I like the asymetrical drilled long over symetrical.it boils down to what pattern I'm bowling on,blended vrs. a hook spot I guess.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Six Pack wrote:for an arc type reaction I've done better with symetrical drilled strong over asymetrical.
for long and strong I like the asymetrical drilled long over symetrical.it boils down to what pattern I'm bowling on,blended vrs. a hook spot I guess.
All drilled balls being asymmetrical, it's the degree of asymmetry that affects the shape of the break point. Your general observation is accurate. Using different layouts based on the degree of asymmetry of the drilled ball will compensate for shape. Use midlane layouts on very asymmetrical drilled balls and more back end layouts on less asymmetrical drilled balls.
LordOrange
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16' up 1/8'
Speed: 17-19
Axis Tilt:
Axis Rotation: 45°
Heavy Oil Ball: Insane, Awesome Hook (retired), Quantum Raven, Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Intense, Jack Hammer, Twisted Fury, Awesome Revs,
Light Oil Ball: MoJave, Plastic, Urethane, Sahara, Lev RG response
Preferred Company: MoRich

Post by LordOrange »

Definition of a symmetrical is if you slice it in half you would have a duplicate?

examples:
Ford FE engines;
Basketball;
Spheres;
Ying and Yang;

I have been reading alot of ball reviews.....

Is the industry standard moving toward Asymmetrical core balls? I am seeing less and less Symmetrical core balls.

Can the same power be generated from a Symmetrical core ball vs an Asymmetrical core ball?

Does Axis tilt come into play with Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical core balls?
Everyones Best ball should be their spare ball.
In the bag:
Mania, MoJave , LevRG Response, 'Nsane, Sahara, Special Edition Spare ball, Frenzy.
On the Bench:
'Ntense, Awesome Revs, & other MoRich Balls
Retired:
Awesome Hook, Awesome finish
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

LordOrange wrote:Definition of a symmetrical is if you slice it in half you would have a duplicate?

examples:
Ford FE engines;
Basketball;
Spheres;
Ying and Yang;

I have been reading alot of ball reviews.....

Is the industry standard moving toward Asymmetrical core balls? I am seeing less and less Symmetrical core balls.

Can the same power be generated from a Symmetrical core ball vs an Asymmetrical core ball?

Does Axis tilt come into play with Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical core balls?
In ball technology, the correct term is "radially symmetrical", which means that if you cut the ball perpendicular to the pin axis, you will get a circle. An example of radially symmetrical is a table leg. If you can cut it on a lathe, it is radially symmetrical. I have discussed this subject at length in this thread and on "Mo and Friends". I will start a thread called "Radially Symmetrical" on "Mo and Friends" on Friday to handle LordOrange's questions to clarify this issue.
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

Would it be correct to say , that for people that don't like asymmetrical balls, that if they put the MB in or near the thumbhole that should give them a reaction that would be most like a symmetrical drilled ball??
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
cgeorg
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1/2

Post by cgeorg »

The difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical is going to be more in the angularity of the breakpoint, which is caused by the higher intermediate differential. Putting the MB on the thumb just increases the strength of the intermediate differential. Increasing VAL angle will probably do more to mimic a symmetrical core.
CMGBB - Bowling tips
BowlSK - Bowling score keeper and stats tracker
My BowlSK

That my boy... that's pro quality.
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

cgeorg wrote:The difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical is going to be more in the angularity of the breakpoint, which is caused by the higher intermediate differential. Putting the MB on the thumb just increases the strength of the intermediate differential. Increasing VAL angle will probably do more to mimic a symmetrical core.
Makes sense..
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+