Bevel and thumb nerve

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

tg2n1
Preferred Company: Brunswick/Storm

Bevel and thumb nerve

Post by tg2n1 »

I drilled a new thumb with the smallest amount of bevel with the thought it would help me stop squeezing it. The thumb slug rubs again the nerve in my thumb. Does anybody have any remedy to reduce the pain on the nerve but also stop grabbing it???
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Re: Bevel and thumb nerve

Post by fufu »

Well, in my experiences, using no bevel is largely dependent on your thumb. Some people with smaller knuckles and overall straight thumbs can use no bevel b/c they can still get their thumb inserted ALL THE WAY into the ball.

I tried using a pretty sharp bevel, but noticed I never my thumb into the ball all the way. So, I started using the secondary bevel(in the wiki) to all me to have a sharp bevel yet get my thumb into the ball all the way.

Furthermore, IMO grabbing can be caused by MANY faults. Your grip could be the problem, most people go right to thumb pitch. My fault was too much rev in the fingers causing me to get out too quickly and grab it. Another fault is increase grip pressure from pushing the ball too far away from you body during the first move with the ball.

The only way to reduce pressure on that nerve is too add bevel/change the span/tighten up the thumb hole.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Bevel and thumb nerve

Post by JMerrell »

How to eliminate squeezing:

1) A good baseline fit
2) A thumb hole shaped to allow your thumb to be fully inserted into the ball
3) Area inside the ball may need relief to eliminate the pressure on the nerve
3) Bevel as necessary for individual hand, sharp bevel does not equal no grip pressure!
4) Set-up with ball close to your body (minimal grip pressure required)
5) Set-up with broken wrist position -NOT CUPPED (minimal grip pressure)
6) Utilize a short hinge (again minimal grip pressure required)
7) Allow gravity to be your friend during the swing (minimal grip pressure required)
8) Find a great ball fitter!

Give these a try
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"