Re evaluating my arsenal.

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Re evaluating my arsenal.

Post by Mo Pinel »

Slap wrote:My newest toy arrived this week. Evil Siege drilled 50 x 3 1/4 x 20 with a small P3 hole. Thanks to Chris @ Buddies. I used it sparingly on Tuesday night. We're on Highway to Hell pattern and there was too much volume for the ES in box finish, particularly compared to my Mania @800 micropad (by hand) and Response @1000 micropad.

Try a litle more surface of the Evil Siege so it compliments the mania and the Response.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Slap wrote:My newest toy arrived this week. Evil Siege drilled 50 x 3 1/4 x 20 with a small P3 hole. Thanks to Chris @ Buddies. I used it sparingly on Tuesday night. We're on Highway to Hell pattern and there was too much volume for the ES in box finish, particularly compared to my Mania @800 micropad (by hand) and Response @1000 micropad.

Try a litle more surface of the Evil Siege so it compliments the mania and the Response and/or increase the size of the balance hole.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Slap wrote:EDIT: I removed the youtube link. I wasn't happy with the quality of the video. I'm rendering it again. Check back tomorrow.

I uploaded a video from my practice session on Sunday. I'm bowling on the pattern that we started on Monday for the last third of our league. The rumor was it was a medium difficulty pattern with a higher volume of oil so I took a variety of balls to practice.

My initial opinion is that it's a fair pattern, tons of conditioner inside with friction around 5-6. The track area has been taken out of play. I found a comfortable areas outside and inside.

Order of appearance
0:00 Sure Strike @2000 micropad
0:49 Solid LevRG @ 2000 **Mislabeled as Response**
1:15 LevRG Response @ 1000
1:45 Black Diamond @ 2000
2:10 Mania @ 1000
Updated video has been uploaded. Please watch it in HD. I was working on this too late last night, the Solid LevRG is mislabled.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Mo Pinel wrote: Try a litle more surface of the Evil Siege so it compliments the mania and the Response and/or increase the size of the balance hole.
Solid advice, any suggestion on a good starting grit? (If it is appropriate to ask about another manufactures coverstock. From your other posts, you seem to be familiar with this ball.)

The box finish on this ball isn't straightforward to my mind. From what I read, it's finished at 4000 but I read a post that the sequence was 500 to 1000 to 4000. Brunswick's info sheet suggests 500 as next point for an earlier reaction or 2000 for a later reaction. That says to me the OOB is approximate to 1000 micropad.

To my eyes the ball looks like a fresh 2000. By appearance alone, I'm inclined to start with a 1000 micropad and tweak it from there. Am I in the ball park?
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Slap wrote: Solid advice, any suggestion on a good starting grit? (If it is appropriate to ask about another manufactures coverstock. From your other posts, you seem to be familiar with this ball.)

The box finish on this ball isn't straightforward to my mind. From what I read, it's finished at 4000 but I read a post that the sequence was 500 to 1000 to 4000. Brunswick's info sheet suggests 500 as next point for an earlier reaction or 2000 for a later reaction. That says to me the OOB is approximate to 1000 micropad.

To my eyes the ball looks like a fresh 2000. By appearance alone, I'm inclined to start with a 1000 micropad and tweak it from there. Am I in the ball park?
I decided to start with a 1000 pad on the Evil Siege. After sanding one side of the ball, I could see 1000 was slightly duller than OOB. Ball rolled great last night.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Slap wrote:
I uploaded a video from my practice session on Sunday. I'm bowling on the pattern that we started on Monday for the last third of our league. The rumor was it was a medium difficulty pattern with a higher volume of oil so I took a variety of balls to practice.

My initial opinion is that it's a fair pattern, tons of conditioner inside with friction around 5-6. The track area has been taken out of play. I found a comfortable areas outside and inside.

Order of appearance
0:00 Sure Strike @2000 micropad
0:49 Solid LevRG @ 2000 **Mislabeled as Response**
1:15 LevRG Response @ 1000
1:45 Black Diamond @ 2000
2:10 Mania @ 1000

Updated video has been uploaded. Please watch it in HD. I was working on this too late last night, the Solid LevRG is mislabled.
**Just an update. They posted the lane graph for this pattern. Pattern length 42 feet oil volume 24.32 mls.**
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Okay time for an update. Since my last post I've been working with my newer additions Mania, Evil Siege, and Response and the results are good. I've also converted to the IT system. I had too many balls to convert so a few have moved on to new homes and a few are enjoying semi retirement in the closet. Ten plus a spare is more than ample for a 2 league plus tournament guy like myself.

1. Evil Siege @1000
2. Response @1000
3. Mania @800
4. Solid LevRG @ 2000
5. Xtreme Damage @ 2000
6. Black Diamond @ compound
7. Sure Strike @ 2000
8. Solaris Requiem @ 500/2000
9. Solaris @ 1000/High Gloss
10. Desperado @ gray pad
layouts can be seen here. http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/slap1914/bowling/

I had a thought provoking experience last week. A friend asked me to sub for him so I helped him out. I hadn't bowled on the house shot for a while and it turned out to be an interesting night. It made me realize that my current arsenal, including layouts and surfaces, doesn't have anything set up for THS. That makes sense based on the conditions I see in my leagues, but it is possible that could see a THS in a tournament or an equally broken down shot in late squads.

My current progression for such conditions would be Solid LevRG to Sure Strike then to urethane.

Option 1
My ball hog in me what's to drill up a new piece specifically to provide a ball reaction that's clean up front with enough recovery to kick out the 7. As a left handed, oil depletion up front from righties moving right is more of an issue than carry down. I'm looking at the Python, 505A and Frenzy. Suggestions are welcome!

Option 2
Try some surface experimentation with my current pieces. I think my options here are limited, the majority of stuff have stronger covers and layouts. The Sure Strike is the weakest resin ball of the group, followed by the Solid LevRG.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Slap wrote:Okay time for an update. Since my last post I've been working with my newer additions Mania, Evil Siege, and Response and the results are good. I've also converted to the IT system. I had too many balls to convert so a few have moved on to new homes and a few are enjoying semi retirement in the closet. Ten plus a spare is more than ample for a 2 league plus tournament guy like myself.

1. Evil Siege @1000
2. Response @1000
3. Mania @800
4. Solid LevRG @ 2000
5. Xtreme Damage @ 2000
6. Black Diamond @ compound
7. Sure Strike @ 2000
8. Solaris Requiem @ 500/2000
9. Solaris @ 1000/High Gloss
10. Desperado @ gray pad
layouts can be seen here. http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/slap1914/bowling/

I had a thought provoking experience last week. A friend asked me to sub for him so I helped him out. I hadn't bowled on the house shot for a while and it turned out to be an interesting night. It made me realize that my current arsenal, including layouts and surfaces, doesn't have anything set up for THS. That makes sense based on the conditions I see in my leagues, but it is possible that could see a THS in a tournament or an equally broken down shot in late squads.

My current progression for such conditions would be Solid LevRG to Sure Strike then to urethane.

Option 1
My ball hog in me what's to drill up a new piece specifically to provide a ball reaction that's clean up front with enough recovery to kick out the 7. As a left handed, oil depletion up front from righties moving right is more of an issue than carry down. I'm looking at the Python, 505A and Frenzy. Suggestions are welcome!

Option 2
Try some surface experimentation with my current pieces. I think my options here are limited, the majority of stuff have stronger covers and layouts. The Sure Strike is the weakest resin ball of the group, followed by the Solid LevRG.
I took a look at your video. The grip change we did is definitely working. The ball is staying in front of your hand much longer during the release. After seeing the reactions in the video, the Legend Black Diamond seems to roll the smoothest and might be an option on a THS. I'm going to suggest the possibility of drilling a Craze with a early, smooth rolling layout for a THS. Here's my idea: Craze drilled 30 / 5 / 50 with a P1 hole, if needed to increase the smoothness of the reaction. Start with a 4000 surface. This will work for THS patterns, Cheetah, Viper, and shorter sport patterns when you want to play straighter. You'll need a medium TW ball with a pin out 3-4". What do you think?
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Mo Pinel wrote: I took a look at your video. The grip change we did is definitely working. The ball is staying in front of your hand much longer during the release. After seeing the reactions in the video, the Legend Black Diamond seems to roll the smoothest and might be an option on a THS. I'm going to suggest the possibility of drilling a Craze with a early, smooth rolling layout for a THS. Here's my idea: Craze drilled 30 / 5 / 50 with a P1 hole, if needed to increase the smoothness of the reaction. Start with a 4000 surface. This will work for THS patterns, Cheetah, Viper, and shorter sport patterns when you want to play straighter. You'll need a medium TW ball with a pin out 3-4". What do you think?
Mo, Overall I'm happy with the progress of my physical game this season. I'm still struggling with consistency but at times I've been bowling really well on some tough patterns. Your suggested grip change and layout suggestions have helped, combined with focused practice. I've taken notice of your recent posts on tempo.

The Legends Black Diamond is pretty strong (yes I remember the definition of strong!) but it might work at the right surface. I have a brand new bottle of Control It waiting to be used. (I forgot to mention did order a bottle of the Renew IT)

The CRAZE wasn't on my list but you designed the ball. You would know better than me! Plus your layouts on the Response and Mania were spot on. I stole your recommendation for an Ntense and used it on my Evil Siege which is also working well. I will let you know when I order the CRAZE.

Thanks!