House Cleaning

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

House Cleaning

Post by Glenn »

I have been doing a little bowling ball house cleaning as I have too many.

I am currently focused on the Radical Ridiculous-ASYM that hasn't worked for me (never did).
The ball just doesn't carry no matter the surface, release, speed, target, etc.
I have tried about everything within my skill set, but the ball just doesn't drive through the pocket.
The ball has been re-drilled to plug the balance hole, and currently the drilled layout is 45 x 4 x 35.
And, I play it on our local house shot conditions.

I decided to spin up the ball to see if I got any additional insights into its behavior.
The ball will briefly (2-3 seconds) lock on to the thumb hole, pause for a second or two, and migrate out and back to lock on to the PSA located halfway between the MB mark and the thumb hole in about 11-12 seconds. And it will do this repeatedly.

Mo always took time for the ball to stabilize before he marked the actual PSA location to do his timings.
Thus, at 11 seconds, this ball is a control type of reaction, but what is the 2-3 second brief lock doing to it.

I wonder if this "cycling" indicates the problem of weak/hit-and-miss, and if drilling the thumb hole deeper might help alleviate it. Or ??

Your thoughts?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: House Cleaning

Post by MegaMav »

Likely 2 points of asymmetry in the ball that are very similar.
Sometimes drilling the thumb deeper helps. It will speed it up as well.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Mav, thanks for the reply.

I noticed that the PSA is currently at the edge of where the thumb hole was plugged for the balance hole issue, and that was about 1 inch left of the MB mark. I really didn't expect the PSA to move much in the ASYM ball.

Anyway, I popped the insert in the thumb hole and began drilling the 1-1/4 hole deeper while watching the PSA continue to move left.
At 3-3/4 inch depth, I stopped and found the PSA is now at the edge of the current thumb hole. The PSA has migrated 1-3/4 inches from the MB mark.
I'm gonna leave it at that for now with the drilled layout being 55 x 4-1/4 x 30.

I put a 5000-grit surface on it as that's where it will be after one game on these syn/wood lanes.
No matter the surface on a ball here, it will be 4500-5000 after one game. So, 5000-grit seems to be the most consistent here.

didn't bother with spin timings as it is obviously still in the 10-12 second range, but doesn't seem to cycle like it did.

I'll try it out next week and see what happens.

Glenn
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
donaldhh
Heavy Oil Ball: Columbia 300 Oath
Medium Oil Ball: Columbia 300 Rage
Light Oil Ball: Columbia 300 Chaos
Preferred Company: Columbia 300

Post by donaldhh »

Talking about your bowling ball makes me think of when I had to clean my apartment while moving out and I had to do end of tenancy cleaning. The people who came to help clean told me about using vinegar, baking soda for tough stains, and lemon juice to make it smell nice. Why not try this on my bowling balls?

So, I used the vinegar and baking soda mix on the hard-to-clean spots, and it worked well! It cleaned them without ruining them. Then, I used a little lemon juice, making them smell fresh and shiny.
Donald Heil

Right handed
16.3 > 16.7 M.P.H. off the hand
30* - 45* axis rotation
7* - 10* axis tilt
R.P.M. ?
P.A.P. = 5.75-> x 1.5^

C300 Swerve OOB 50 x 4 3/8 x 40
C300 Oath OOB 65 x 4 x 70
C300 Chaos OOB 600 grit wet sanded