Fit confusion / indequacies

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

StruggleBus69

Fit confusion / indequacies

Post by StruggleBus69 »

Hello,
[TLDR at the bottom]

Brand new to the forum, figured this is a great place to talk with fellow bowlers about the game.

Short background: Bowled very little from age 0 - 24, just bowling with friends occasionally. Moved residencies and am now ~ 6 minutes from a very nice bowling alley. My friend and I go bowling once a week as of the beginning of November. Started off with house ball and house shoes (bowling about 100-120). Then, my uncle lent me his OLD bowling ball (Plastic Brunswick Rhino probably mfg. around 2000. A little shorter span than I need according to my local pro shop.) and I have the ITCH. I did okay with this ball once I was able to add a little bit of hook. (Positioning furthest right on the lane and throwing it about 11-12 mph.

Current Day:
I am a one-handed bowIer. I now have my own shoes, KR Strikeforce Flyer Mesh, which I love. I finally went to the local pro shop and got fitted for a ball, and went with the 900 Global Burner Pearl due to the look, price ($169 drilled), and reviews of the ball. I thought it would be a great ball to start with and potentially grow into as I progress. I would say my previous ball was totally a "conventional" grip, and I got the Burner Pearl drilled as a 'finger-tip grip' because I would like to get the most hook potential / control possible.

Very first throw of the ball was last night, 2 hours after I picked it up from the pro shop... I threw the ball STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR probably over 6-7 feet, and it landed directly on the left edge of the lane straight into the gutter. I was so rattled as it slowly rolled down the gutter. :( . Ball comes out of the return and I see what I would call a dent / series of cracks directly on the edge of the middle finger hole. Obviously I was pretty upset as it was the very first throw of my very first custom ball.. I played 3 games total and the ball absolutely felt terrible, I could not get the ball out of my hand as it would stick almost every time and got worse as the night went on. I woke up this morning hoping it was all a bad dream but it was not.

I decided to go to to the lanes this morning and throw 2 games. I did not throw the ball straight up in the air but it was still getting stuck and felt so inconsistent.. One of the pro shop workers recognized me and attempted to give me some tips to no avail. He drilled out the thumb very slightly and I really could not tell any difference as it was still sticking (to my thumb, not fingers).

At this point, I've chalked up the dent / chip in the ball to me not knowing how to throw a finer-tip gripped ball. Lesson learned, battle wounds in the ball (but I hope it does not affect the performance. I am very discouraged about my game, I used to love bowling a 110-150 with a plastic ball, and now I don't even want to go to the lanes.

I guess I just don't know where to go from here. I have no confidence at all with the Burner Pearl and thought I would be very happy with the custom fitted ball.

TLDR; Moved from a badly fitted plastic ball (standard grip) to a custom fitted Burner Pearl. Broke brand new ball first throw due to sticking issues and I don't want to go bowling anymore.

Thoughts as I am falling asleep:
1. Can the crack / dent be fixed? (can attach pictures if requested)
2. Am I not programmed for a full finger-tip grip?
3. Will finger-tip grip ever "click" for me?
4. Will I ever be consistent with my custom bowling ball?
5. Can I enjoy bowling again?

Any advice is appreciated, and I look forward to browsing this forum on the regular.

Thanks ,
StruggleBus69
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Fit confusion / indequacies

Post by TomaHawk »

It has been said, there is no such thing as muscle memory, that would be a false statement. A person's mind and body collaborate in an effort to perform a task. Once that task has been achieved your mind / body will gradually remember the necessary steps in order to repeat that particular task. As time moves forward, a person would grow to be more efficient at performing that particular task.

Unfortunately, the mental / physiological process that was developed during the time frame of using an ill fitting piece of equipment is going to be "remembered" too. You have a new ball with a new grip. The learning process needs to start all over again. In the custom drilled ball, the holes will be much tighter and the span will be somewhat taunt by comparison. That is quite different feeling / sensation a person might get from a "generically" drilled ball.

The best thing to do? Get some help from the pro shop. Chances are they'll have some advice to get you on your way to better bowling.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to Bowlingchat

This essential fundamental of bowling, proper degree of relaxation of the thumb inside the ball and letting it roll off the hand is COUNTERINTUITIVE.

Take a look at MegaMavs post and short video.
His drill also works well with a partner as seen on the Dick Ritger Kneel Down drill.
Think ROLL and let the ball come off as rolling a softball to a child.
In fact, whenever there is room in the proshop, the PSO should have you roll the ball to him or her.
The last ball I had drilled, I was doing my death grip and the PSO could easily see it.
He talked me thru letting it off rolling it. I did, it easily came off and the rev rate went up.

Consistent thumb release
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4271&p=33686&hilit=Home#p33686

Ritger Kneel Down Drill

Two short videos by Norm Duke regarding the Grip

Musical cue

Thoughts keeping you from falling asleep?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
StruggleBus69

Post by StruggleBus69 »

Thank you for the replies and training materials. I like Norm Duke's 10 grip pressure video a lot. It seems as though maybe my thumb hole is too big now as the ball seems to fall off my hand (i'll talk with the pro shop and see if they think I need tape or not).

Reading the other thread mentioned is helpful as well. This week at the lanes I am going to focus on slowing every aspect of my routine / swing down and see if I can get the thumb out at the correct time / position. I am going to stop worrying about score and flare and just focus on getting a consistent release. Everything else will come later.

I did not post the picture of the dent / chip / crack but I'll also ask the pro shop if I should have it repaired or not.

Thanks again for the helpful tips / encouragement! :)
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Most types of damage to bowling balls can be effectively repaired, some might not need to repaired at all. The pro shop people should be able to guide you in the right direction.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

When you are at the pro shop discuss the use of tape and types of tape.
Also ask him to let you roll him a few off your hand.
Everyone's thumb shrinks and swells. Duke also discusses tape in one of his videos.
Every bowler should have a pre shot routine, checking your thumbhole is one thing, sliding your slide sole on the approach to test it in case it got sticky or slick is another. A pre shot routine is physically functional and can be calming and a chance to remind yourself of your keys.

Above all, be patient with yourself and allow yourself to have fun.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
StruggleBus69

Post by StruggleBus69 »

Thanks so much for reassuring me that Rome was not and will never be built in one day! I’ll go to the shop this week and see if they think the damage will affect my ball. Looking closer at the blemish, it looks like it may have reduced the size of the middle finger.

I’ll also ask about tape and if they could watch me roll a few. The guys are super helpful.

Picture if anyone is curious.

Thanks again everybody!
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

That can be drilled out and repaired by a quality pro shop..
All is not lost.