Found treasure?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

ptoemmes

Found treasure?

Post by ptoemmes »

Replacing flooring in the house and having to empty closets I ran across two balls that were the last ones I used oh some 30 years ago.

They are: Ebonite Earl Anthony Magnum Eight, and Columbia u300 U2 both 16lbs. What is interesting to me (a right hander) with them is the slightly worn track on the balls show as a semi roller high track near, but nor over the thumb hole and off the middle finger. Not close to rolling over any holes.

So I was wondering is there any value to them it terms of determining a new ball layout it terms of finding my PAP and axis rotation (from back then). I realize can't get speed or rev rate and if I were to throw them and would need to open up the holes a tad.

My thought is that a house ball is not gonna produce a good set of metrics for a modern ball drill, but maybe the only option is to drill one and get better metrics for the next one.

I'm looking for open bowling with the outside chance of older (70) men's league or mixed league with wife so am not looking to do tourney,s etc. House and league patterns. So maybe the accuracy of the metrics is not all that important. I used to throw sort of hard (higher speed), but was not a cranker - maybe a circa 1990s tweener, but much older now so my guess the speed and revs will be medium to low. 15lbs or maybe even 14lbs now.

Liking the UC3 from research.

Thanks,

Pete
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Re: Found treasure?

Post by rrb6699 »

probably not. i have an old original LT-48 that when i throw it, no matter what i do, it's a full roller. no other ball i have rolls like that. it leads me to wonder if i can duplicate this with another ball.
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.