Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Post by Glenn »

I watched a Youtube video by Phil Cardinale about how often can you resurface your bowling ball.

My takeaway is that you can resurface your bowling ball as much as you see fit.
Assuming proper ball maintenance, the ball remains viable until its circumference is too small for the ball return.

What Phil didn't address is the USBC rules side of the equation.
USBC Playing Rules have ball diameter and circumference min/max requirements.
Also, the USBC requires that the ball be identifiable as a ball on the "Approved List".
And, this means that the ball have the original brand name/logo and some form of serial number be visible.

Although, Phil contends that they have very rarely seen the logo be totally removed (on Radical equipment?).
The center of the logo is usually a bit deeper than the edges so it would be most likely that the edges would disappear before the entire logo.
Even with the logo totally removed it would still pass the circumference rule, but not the identifiability rule.

In my experience, I've had several balls where the logo has disappeared prematurely (one in my basement right now).
And, I have observed older bowling balls in leagues with the logo and/or serial numbers sanded away.
This rule is generally ignored in the leagues here.

What is your take on this?
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Bowling Ball Resurfacing

Post by 44boyd »

I see no competitive advantage gained unlike balance holes
Stacy
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Glenn wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm I watched a Youtube video by Phil Cardinale about how often can you resurface your bowling ball.

My takeaway is that you can resurface your bowling ball as much as you see fit.
Assuming proper ball maintenance, the ball remains viable until its circumference is too small for the ball return.

What Phil didn't address is the USBC rules side of the equation.
USBC Playing Rules have ball diameter and circumference min/max requirements.
Also, the USBC requires that the ball be identifiable as a ball on the "Approved List".
And, this means that the ball have the original brand name/logo and some form of serial number be visible.

Although, Phil contends that they have very rarely seen the logo be totally removed (on Radical equipment?).
The center of the logo is usually a bit deeper than the edges so it would be most likely that the edges would disappear before the entire logo.
Even with the logo totally removed it would still pass the circumference rule, but not the identifiability rule.

In my experience, I've had several balls where the logo has disappeared prematurely (one in my basement right now).
And, I have observed older bowling balls in leagues with the logo and/or serial numbers sanded away.
This rule is generally ignored in the leagues here.

What is your take on this?
1- unless your doing something really wrong sanding, you most likely will never sand a ball and make it too small. Depending on how the logos and serial were placed on a ball you might sand those off if their not engraved.(Note: the serial number may be engraved or re-engraved, plus it doesnt have to be the org.number)

2-There is no longer a size requirement for a drilled ball, They don't do the size rings anymore at tournaments.The USBC spec's are manufacturing specifications only now.

3-Yes most all leagues never bothered about the logos or ball size (unless it some big money thing and/or someone was complaining and that was usually in the past.), a serial numbers should be there though because they use to put those on award forms (I don't know if they still do)

This is from a email I got when I asked about this years back.

Question to USBC:
Does the rule for minimum ball size (8.500”) in the "Ball Manufacturing
Specifications"

Does it apply to a bowlers drilled ball?

Example:
Bowler has a older ball that do to shrinkage or resurfacing is below the
min. of 8.5", Is it still legal for use?

USBC reply:

Thank you for your question. Specifications for diameter (circumference) and roundness are manufacturing specifications only, they are not for the end user or the drilled ball. In the example you provided, the smaller ball would still be allowed for use during USBC certified competition as long as it still had the required markings (Brand Name/Logo, Ball Name, Serial Number) so the ball can be identified. For a long time there was size and roundness requirement on the drilled bowling balls at tournaments, but those specifications have since been removed.

Thank you,

Jason Milligan
Research Technician
Equipment Specifications & Certifications / Sport Bowling
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Probably been removed as a smaller ball would be a detriment. . . so sand your ball down to 8"? Go ahead, no skin off my nose! LOL

I did have one ball that lost some of its label (Storm Eraser Boost - LOVED that ball)
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

What about if you surface a bowling ball and it has say 180 grit grain or grooves in one direction - will the Nationals tournament reject it or are there no rules on ball surface as long as it's uniform around the ball?
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

RRB;

I don't know of anyone who uses 180-grit (nothing less than 500-grit in most cases) unless they are going for the first step of a complete do-over.

As to your question...IDK.

The USBC states:
"The surface of the ball shall be free of all depressions or grooves of specific pattern, except for holes or indentations used for gripping the ball, scribe marks for drilling purposes, identification lettering and numbers, and incidental chipping or marking caused by wear. Engraved pictures, logos, and/or designs from the manufacturer are not considered grooves of a specific pattern."

And, then states:
"If the surface of the ball is altered by sanding or polishing, the entire surface of the ball must be sanded or polished in the same manner."

Of course, I'm no expert, and your mileage may vary.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

as usual you have to understand what their terminology is to really understand what they're saying in this rule. But the last part actually is clear about the entire surface of the ball must be sanded or Polished in the same manner. So if you use 180 Grit just as an example, All in the same direction, that should be acceptable for USBC Nationals and other usbc tournaments am I correct?
Tweenr-RH
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

RRB,

Again IDK.

I could see where having a ball rough (deep scratches) sanded all in concentric circles in one direction would raise some eyebrows.
I assume you get this result from sanding the ball with a spinner in one direction, flip it 180, and sand the other half of the ball in one direction.
What would be the purpose of sanding a ball like this - parallel to the track, against the track, or?
If you hand-sanded the ball at lane side, you'd get a swirl pattern that would be less conspicuous (?).
How you sand the ball affects length and hook, and that is done when you sand over the original "cut" ( e.g. cross-hatch, at the bow-tie, etc.).

As always, I'm no expert, and your mileage may vary...
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

I have found sanding (spinning ) on my PaP causes the ball to go longer . sanding against the track makes the ball earlier.
I use 360grit on a couple of balls and it works well for me. Sanding parallel to the track is to me a step below a polished ball. Again this is just from my game but the reaction is very similar. Maybe not as squirrely as a polished or shiny surface..

But the main question was if I bring a ball to the open with sanding grade only in a single Direction will they allow it? Or will I have to cross hatch or not?

thx
Tweenr-RH
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

From my understanding, as long as the ball is Sanded evenly over the entire surface then you are OK.
Nothing that I know of mentions crosshatching the surface.

You run risk if making the ball out of round by sanding on only one axis all the time.
I would sand 4 sides every once in a while to keep things even.
Then just finish on your preferred axis with a courser grit to achieve your parallel sanding lines.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

Here’s the best info available that has been used by most bowlers.

https://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Co ... acing.html

It’s the way I’ve done balls for the last 20 years or so and as stated by Glenn.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

yes i employ all of those sanding methods for myself and customers .
i was trying to find out if there was any rule for a method of sanding that would make a ball illegal or flagged in the Open.
as far as i can see, there seems to be no rule other than uniform sanding across the entire surface of the ball.
so i should be ok.
Tweenr-RH
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant