how far would you go to get a ball drilled

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

bigjim300
Preferred Company: radical bowling

how far would you go to get a ball drilled

Post by bigjim300 »

i live here in eastern ky we dont have alot here like big cities . im having problems with getting a proper fit on my bowling ball . the person at the center where i bowl at and we only have 1 bowling center. its hit or miss. my avg this yr is real bad so far avg 166 from around 180. so i went to a pro shop in lexington ky and he wide my span and now im dropping it of my hand . i also went down in ball weight from 15 to 14 . im 62 yrs old . so i went to another pro shop in west va with a new ball he shorting my span . it still dont feel right. i was wanting to go to a pro shop in columbus ohio but its 4 hrs away each way. but the person that runs it is tom carter and hear nothing but good things. my question is should i drive 4hrs each way to get some new toys drilled up. because i know the way im bowling now is real bad . im at the point where im ready to leave my stuff and walked out. what should i do. if you have any thoughts e-mail me at reds1458@yahoo.com
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: how far would you go to get a ball drilled

Post by TomaHawk »

Have you gone back to either of the two pro shops you mentioned? Pick the shop you're most comfortable with and go back. Explain what you are experiencing. There are a lot of different factors involved in the fitting process. Now that they know what does not work, the pro shop can eliminate that from the list of things to try.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

I wouldn’t argue going to see Tom Carter, but I agree with Tomahawk on communication with local PSO. Very rarely is it just a one time adjustment when doing changes. Take a ball you don’t mind plugging a couple times or more until you are satisfied.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

In addition to the excellent points above.
A few tidbits.
Those of us that live in or near big cities can get easily spoiled by the available resources.
Don't assume off the bat that you need to drop ball weight, let the PSO help you with that decision.
He or she will measure and assess flexibility and strength etc.
Not to be funny, we all age differently for various reasons.
Coaching may be scarce in your local, but since you indicated your average is bad, that would indicate considering a physical game tuneup.
It helps if you know what you look like when you bowl, so you might consider taking rear and side view videos of yourself. You may spot areas of concern, you can also let your PSO see it.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching

There are various articles and resources on the wiki.

So consider the entirety of what makes you the bowler you currently are, such as your body, your technique, your mental approach and mental game, your equipment and fit, how the equipment matches up to where you bowl (what are other bowlers using and why?)

Take care and may you soon get your game to your happy place.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bigjim300
Preferred Company: radical bowling

Post by bigjim300 »

TomaHawk wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 6:40 pm Have you gone back to either of the two pro shops you mentioned? Pick the shop you're most comfortable with and go back. Explain what you are experiencing. There are a lot of different factors involved in the fitting process. Now that they know what does not work, the pro shop can eliminate that from the list of things to try.
one is in lexington and the one in west va he would say im wrong and he is right
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

bigjim300 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 1:25 am one is in lexington and the one in west va he would say im wrong and he is right
There is a sense of communication that needs to take place. That's why it is important to see a person you feel comfortable with. Talk to him / her. Have them watch you throw the ball. Pro shop guys are only as good as the information they receive.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Everybody has a story to tell about their experiences with the local pro shop. T-Hawk makes two very valid points: sense of comfort and trust, and the ability to have a back-and-forth dialog. If that doesn't happen, look elsewhere.

We have a ball fitter who relocated from about 1 hour to a location 1.45 hours from me, and has a reputation that draws bowlers from the surrounding states. He did the best job of helping me select my first ball and getting it drilled up right the first time. He watched me bowl before and after drilling the ball, and gave me a quick coaching lesson to boot. In his new bowling center location, he seems to work at cultivating his business.

I stopped going to the local pro shop because he never watched me bowl, assumed that he knew how I bowled, spent more time watching the TV than interacting with his customers, didn't measure/record a PAP for me, and the layouts/drillings were meh. The locals who deal with this pro shop fall into two categories: repeat customers who are satisfied, and those who will never go back.

I don't frequent a third pro shop located about 45 minutes away because he has the reputation of using the same layout for just about everyone (he may have retired) !?

I stopped going to the pro shop located about 30 minutes from me who solved every problem with a new bowling ball, required numerous trips to get the grip correct, and finally his associate who worked with me the most asked me why I didn't just drill my own equipment (which is what the owner did when he became disenchanted with his previous pro shop). That turned out to be good advise. LOL

I have it on my wish list to visit either the Kegel Training Center or ITRC and have a ball drilled. I wanted that to happen when I attended a Kegel Road Show, but I couldn't make it so.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."