Old dog, new tricks ball selection

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Swampwallaby

Old dog, new tricks ball selection

Post by Swampwallaby »

Hi All,

Hope you can help me out.

I played youth leagues for a couple of yeards as a teen in the 70's and was taught to bowl properly with a 'classic' style. Played a couple of league seasons since, but been just casual every couple of years for the last 20.

I never had the money for my own ball as a teen, or the time and motivation to get one later, so have used 12lb plastic house balls the whole time. I can handle a 13lb, but soon tire. My best league average was 186, mainly due to good spare shooting as I have a quite stable delivery, but I never had a consistent strike ball.

Lately, my wife and son have got keen and we have been bowling weekly and it has reminded me just how much fun it is. I now have the money, time and motivation and am keen to get back into it.

The technology and information available has developed amazingly since I used to bowl and I'm keen to jump in and start from scratch again, get my first reactive ball drilled fingertip and develop a hook ball.

With my style, I get a gentle hook using a house ball. Today I was starting with left toe on board 16, bowling over the 2nd arrow and hitting the pocket when I hit my mark, but leaving plenty of single pins. According to the machine, my bowling speed is around 20mph, which seems quite fast from what I have been reading. How accurate are these machines? I tried slowing down, but it doesn't feel right. I'm not sure about the rev rate, but comparing with videos it is definitely not high. Somewhere in the low-med range.

Before suggesting visiting my local PSO, I am in a rural area in Australia where bowling is not a big sport and the PS has about 5 balls on display with a few accessories and the operator was not willing to suggest a suitable ball, though he is happy to order and drill it if I tell him model, weight and drill style!!!

This is for casual bowling initially and probably a casual league next year and then see what happens. There is no hurry, I am looking forward to the fun of learning new skills.

I am not interested in a huge hook, so I am looking at entry level reactive balls. After viewing hours of reviews and forum entries and cross-referencing balls available here, I came up with a couple of options, the Brunswick Rhino and the Rotogrip Hustle Ink in 14lb that look good value.

I originally picked the Ink, but I'm wondering if this is going to be too much of a handful as a first reactive ball while I sort myself out.
The Rhino is obviously the tamer ball and seems like it would suit me well, but now I am concerned whether it might be too weak given my (apparently) higher speed and lowish rev rate?

Thanks for listening to my story and any comments appreciated!
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Old dog, new tricks ball selection

Post by TomaHawk »

It's always nice to see someone interested in getting reacquainted with bowling. Your research has provided you with a good basis, the equipment game is much more diverse in today's game versus what it used to be.

You've made a good choice. The Brunswick Rhino is a great starting point, comes in a wide variety of colors too. It provides a more controllable motion and depending on your game, is effective on low to medium volumes of oil.

Drilling a bowling ball is a sophisticated process in today's bowling environment. It's important to know a bowler's personal stats like ball speed, rev rate, tilt, and rotation. If you have a ball that fits relatively well, it would be great to let the pro shop operator watch you throw a couple of shots. That would provide the driller with at least a minimal amount of information.

After all is said and done, the ball is still round. Ultimately, it is the bowler who determines the outcome.

Have fun and welcome back!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Swampwallaby , welcome to the forum.
Of possible interest to you, Dean is also a member of the forum.
About Dean Champ
Dean Champ is a USBC-certified Silver coach who has been coaching bowlers of all levels and styles for 10 years. He is also the creator of the popular Analysis of Modern 10-Pin Bowling YouTube videos. Dean is the former Head Coach of the Australian Adult Women's team.

https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/author/dean-champ/

The forums wiki might be of interest to you. Check it out some time.
Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Swampwallaby

Post by Swampwallaby »

Thanks for the responses!
Swampwallaby

Post by Swampwallaby »

The adventure continues.

Still haven't found a coach, hoping to track one down next week. Have more or less decided on going for the Hustle Ink, but would like to get professional feedback before committing.

Been keeping busy though. Picked a 12lb House Ball with a good sized thumb hole and a bit longer span and it fits me closer to a fingertip grip than conventional. Very comfortable and I don't feel like I am clinging on for dear life. I know I have release problems, so have been doing some video analysis each week. Oh wow, totally broken wrist and turning ball too early. I'm making it spin like a top instead of rotating properly.

I tried a wrist brace to try and keep my wrist straight, but it had little effect, mainly causing me to pull shots more to the left, which I have always had a habit of doing anyway.

Did more research and stumbled onto Ron Cliftons video lesson about turning the ball early ( and that has really helped me. This week, I made a conscious effort to keep my wrist cocked right through the swing to release (did not use wrist brace). I expected some changes and to be throwing them all over the place, but OMG, what a difference! Interestingly, the video does not show a huge amount of difference in my hand position at release, I still have a lot more room for improvement. But the change was staggering. My Trusty Plastic House Ball was hooking significantly more without me trying. And it felt like I had so much more control, that I was pushing the ball out to exactly where I wanted it instead of slinging it an arrow and hoping for the best.

After the last few weeks of struggling to reach a 150 average, I managed a 233 game (546 series) with my TPHB. 3 out of 8 strikes where cross-overs (Brooklyn) which I was not happy about, my tugging issue remains (next project!), but the rest where some of the prettiest strikes I have ever bowled.

Onwards!
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

The ball is fine, a good fit it what’s important. I wouldn’t base anything with a house ball as you’re trying to make it hook and it’s not fitted for your hand. Get the ball and then try to see where you are at
Stacy
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Even a cheap ball - see if anyone has one for sale, see if your pro-shop has anything on consignment. . . my first was a consignment ball. Then you can get it drilled. You won't be so worried about drilling it. :)