Bowling ball serial numbers

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Bowling ball serial numbers

Post by skfboiler »

The serial numbers and ball manufacturer logos have been worn off on a couple of my bowling balls. Is it true that these balls are illegal to use in USBC sanctioned leagues and tournaments?
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Bowling ball serial numbers

Post by MegaMav »

From my understanding they can be re-engraved with ANY serial number and be legal.
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

MegaMav wrote: November 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm From my understanding they can be re-engraved with ANY serial number and be legal.
What about the ball manufacturer logo? On one ball that you are gone. The other is just about gone.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

This is what I found out awhile back:
The rules regarding the serial numbers and names/logos on a ball, which can go missing over time do to resurfacing etc.

Any bowling ball used in USBC certified competition must be approved and identifiable as a ball listed on the “Approved Ball List” located on the Equipment Specifications page on bowl. com with the exception of House Balls.

For identification purposes, each ball must have some form of serial number, the ball’s original brand and model names or logos must also be on each ball.

So what happens if one or all are missing? Whats required to be legal?
(This was checked with the USBC rules dept. back in 2017)

The Ball serial number:
A serial number is required to keep the ball legal. If this number goes missing you can have it engraved or re-engraved (Note: It doesn't have to be the original number).

The USBC Star Logo:
The USBC Star Logo is a manufacturing requirement not an end user (Player) requirement, So it would not need to be re-engraved. The ball would be legal as this isn’t an player requirement, assuming the ball has the other required markings.

The ball’s original brand and model names or logos:
These may not be re-engraved by the bowler, Once the ball is no longer identifiable by the brand name/logo and ball name it is no longer allowed to be used during USBC certified competition.

Here's from the current 2020-21 USBC Rulebook also:
Chapter 8: Equipment Specifications
Bowling Balls
1. Approved. Bowling balls must be identifiable as a ball listed on the Approved Ball List. Since all
bowling balls manufactured prior to January 1991 have been previously approved, their acceptance
is at the discretion of the tournament or league official.

3. Identification. Each ball must have the original brand name/logo, original ball name and some
form of serial number (the serial number may be re-engraved).
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

Looks like my HyperCell Fused is toast. My Timeless may be also. I need a mid to upper mid
Symmetrical solid cover ball anyhow.