14# Arsenal critique

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

radialfil
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 x 1.5^
Speed: 18.5 per specto
Rev Rate: 27
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 65

14# Arsenal critique

Post by radialfil »

14# LH Arsenal review
I would like informed analysis of my newest 14# 6 ball arsenal. LH 19ish mph off hand, 275 revs 7* tilt 60ish rotation.
Halo 2.54/0.050/0.016 55/4/35
Halo Pearl same as above
Pro Motion 2.53/0.051 @ 70/4/30
IdolPro 2.54/0.049 @ 70/4/30
Trend 2.53/0.051 @ 70/4/30
Afterburner 2.58/0.038 @ 70/4/30
Spare ball plastic.
Curious that all these balls have very close RG/Diff number yet are rated different. I presume the difference is in the covers and not so much the core numbers. I have 2 sets with same actual cores and 1 ball a benchmark type (IdolPro). I was trying to use Tamer’s newish categories to figure this assortment out. Strong defined, strong control, med defined, med control, med late. I haven’t been able to fully test this set out except for individual balls due to the lockdowns. Trying for a travel set as it looks like in order to bowl I am going to have to bring a wide range of balls. Whaddya think? Thanks for looking.
Phil Deering
Senior Lefty
PAP: 5.25-1.5^ Span 4.25”
RPM: +/-270 @ 18.5(off the hand)
Tilt: 5-7*
AR: +/- 65*
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: 14# Arsenal critique

Post by EricHartwell »

Maintaining the surface grit on your set becomes even more important in separating the ball reactions when you use the same layouts.

Using published "ratings" to try and organize a set doesn't really work so good. imho
Rolling them side by side is going to be needed to figure out how they all compare to each other.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
radialfil
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 x 1.5^
Speed: 18.5 per specto
Rev Rate: 27
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 65

Post by radialfil »

As a lefty I dont see a lot of transition during matches , but I do practice quite a bit. Bowling 10-12 games at a time. Enough to create my own transition and witness different ball reaction. I realize that published ratings are not gospel but they are a simple way to start the search for a group of pieces that might fit my game since no one person can says “these are the balls you need to throw and in this order”. The universe of bowling equipment is too vast to try out every ball, although I have come pretty close.
I settled on the sym layout after many alternate configs. I have used syms mostly after the lockdown as they are smoother and easier for me to read. Seems to work on most of the places I have bowl since traveling to the bowling centers that are opened near NorCal plus I can almost detect better/worse ball reaction. The 4 symmetric balls at 2k, 3k, 4k have a nice sequence so far for me and I touch them up after each use. The Halo, stored a long time and not much use until sport league and the Halo Pearl is lane shined and rolls different than the syms. The 4 symmetric are all new to me and I like the looks I have seen in a couple of different houses. I guess time will tell about the order of use, consistent reaction and durability moving forward as I use them.
Btw thanks for the help and the insight to this endeavor. It is much appreciated by me that people are willing to share their knowledge about this game that I love.
Phil Deering
Senior Lefty
PAP: 5.25-1.5^ Span 4.25”
RPM: +/-270 @ 18.5(off the hand)
Tilt: 5-7*
AR: +/- 65*
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Definitely looks like you put some good thought into your arsenal and you have developed good habit in maintaining the surfaces.
Good luck with your new set and learning how it will serve your game best.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand