Switching Ball Weights

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

SRB442
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 14 mph at pins
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 61
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem Roto Grip Helios
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip PBR
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Camo
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Switching Ball Weights

Post by SRB442 »

Hi All, I am sure this has been discussed but looking for opinions. Just before covid hit I tore the long head bicep tendon on my right arm (I am right handed). I had 2 choices fix it and go through a long rehab or leave it torn and have around 10% less strenth I decided to leave it torn. Well after 5 months was able to go back bowling and after seveal practice sessions and a couple of leaque nights my ball speed is down. I typically have ball speed in the mid to high 13 mph which isn't that fast to start with. I now have speed of 12.2-12.9 and even my ten pin shots only hit 14 (Normally 17-18). I am curently using 15lb and am wondering if I went down to 14 could I gain enough ball speed and rev rate to make up for lost carry? I don't feel that slow but numbers don't lie. I am hoping to get some opinions on people whou have done this and there results. Balls are expensive and want to make sure I am going in the right direction or give it more time. Thank You Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Switching Ball Weights

Post by 44boyd »

Buy a used 14 and see if you like it. If not, consider smoother surface to give more length
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

SRB (Senior bowler ???)

I hope your injury improves.
Throwing in a plug for your local coaches - you might consider having a coach or pro shop operator look at you roll a few balls to see if elements of your technique could be tweaked. Example: Your footwork, degree of muscular involvement.

Jim Merrell's Free Swing Drill
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell

Here is a test you can perform at a bowling center.
You'll need either a see saw ball sack or a towel. The ball sack is easier as it has handles.
Example of see saw sack
https://www.stormbowling.com/seesaw-towel-actwctss

You can choke up on the handles depending on the length to get the ball closer to your hand.

Test involves swinging the ball in the sack of towel.
You may have seen Norm Duke's trick shot using a towel.
The goal here is just to suspend the ball using the towel and giving it a swing.
Exercise caution.

Except from Ron Clifton tip #14
"The first thing I check when trying to pick a ball weight is the persons wrist strength. I have them hold the ball down by their side with their wrist relaxed. Then I ask them to cup their wrist forward. They should be able to hold that position for a slow count to 10 or the ball is too heavy. This goes for men and women. I have seen a lot of men and women that could fire a 15 or even 16LB ball down the lane but can not pass my wrist test with them. If you can't pass the wrist test, then you can't have a good strong release or much versatility in releases. I know there are a lot of senior bowlers out there that would be much happier with a 14lb ball, but are struggling along with a 15 or 16 because they are afraid they would loose too much carry. Fear no more. The ball technology is here today. Just visit your local pro shop. "

Additionally, you might consider an arm sleeve to support your arm.
Examples -
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bowling+arm+ ... i58g0a1f_e

Check out the BowlingChat wiki for additional information.

Be well, be safe, be happy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

I am considering that and am taking a more polished ball (No Rules Pearl) to leaque tommorow night. Thank You Steve

44boyd wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:16 pm Buy a used 14 and see if you like it. If not, consider smoother surface to give more length
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Yes I am a senior bowler 63. I will look at the things you suggested. I am going to talk to my Pro Shop Operater as he knows my game to see what he thinks. Thank You Steve
kajmk wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:54 pm SRB (Senior bowler ???)

I hope your injury improves.
Throwing in a plug for your local coaches - you might consider having a coach or pro shop operator look at you roll a few balls to see if elements of your technique could be tweaked. Example: Your footwork, degree of muscular involvement.

Jim Merrell's Free Swing Drill
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell

Here is a test you can perform at a bowling center.
You'll need either a see saw ball sack or a towel. The ball sack is easier as it has handles.
Example of see saw sack
https://www.stormbowling.com/seesaw-towel-actwctss

You can choke up on the handles depending on the length to get the ball closer to your hand.

Test involves swinging the ball in the sack of towel.
You may have seen Norm Duke's trick shot using a towel.
The goal here is just to suspend the ball using the towel and giving it a swing.
Exercise caution.

Except from Ron Clifton tip #14
"The first thing I check when trying to pick a ball weight is the persons wrist strength. I have them hold the ball down by their side with their wrist relaxed. Then I ask them to cup their wrist forward. They should be able to hold that position for a slow count to 10 or the ball is too heavy. This goes for men and women. I have seen a lot of men and women that could fire a 15 or even 16LB ball down the lane but can not pass my wrist test with them. If you can't pass the wrist test, then you can't have a good strong release or much versatility in releases. I know there are a lot of senior bowlers out there that would be much happier with a 14lb ball, but are struggling along with a 15 or 16 because they are afraid they would loose too much carry. Fear no more. The ball technology is here today. Just visit your local pro shop. "

Additionally, you might consider an arm sleeve to support your arm.
Examples -
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bowling+arm+ ... i58g0a1f_e

Check out the BowlingChat wiki for additional information.

Be well, be safe, be happy.
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

I tried a polshed ball last night (No Rules Pearl) and I felt more in control of my game. Ball speed still reads low on scorer but It don't look that much slower. I did talk to my PSO and he said I would gain at least 1 mph and may be more and my rev rate would increase becaues I can hit up on it more. He suggested trying a lower end ball first and see if I like it. I maybe over reacting to this speed thing and it was higher last night. I will give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I also have noticed the shot may have changed since last season (New general manager) in watchting some of the down and in guys from last year they are are going high a lot which tells me there isn't as much oil in the middle. Less oil would also slow my ball down a bit. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins