Best balls to use a shorter pin layout on

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Midpreformance

Best balls to use a shorter pin layout on

Post by Midpreformance »

Hello all! What is everyone’s favorite balls to use a shorter pin layout on?! I am looking to stick with an asymmetrical ball but definitely give it a weaker motion down lane and have it be more controllable. Thank you!
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Best balls to use a shorter pin layout on

Post by krava »

I have the same question also. Right now I only have a Storm Match with a low flare layout. I am a little bias against a low flare asymmetrical ball because that kills what the ball is made to do. I did see Mo's Son use a zing hybrid low flare layout to try to mimic a urethane ball. I think it might be important what you bowl on also. Is it for a short pattern and you want to cross alot of boards then probably the asym. If you want to play closer to the pocket and not to far away from it probably a good strong symmetric. Then you have to figure out how do you want it drilled from anywher 3/4 to 2 1/2. I think I might just keep it in the middle at 1 1/2. I don't know what is good out right now. i am about to tell wicks proshop to drill me something up and surprise me but it needs to be something simi strong since I have the match already. I looked up balls on bowlingball.com and couldn't find a strong symmetric. I bought a storm supersonic. You might have to try a zing hybrid or radical results like that.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

pin axis drillings are something we did a long time ago ...I have used them on symmetrical cores a lot but am only now starting to try it out on asym cores ...I have found the amount of side rotation still dictated how much back end you create ...no matter how much the ball flares...i have a physix with a 11/2 in pin and I can play up 8 or swing 4th arrow to 10 and have a hard time keeping it on the right side...My first attempt was with an AMF RPM polished for second shift on wood lanes ....teammates couldn't believe the length I got out of that ball ...smooth on the back end too....Steve S
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I don't have any short pin layouts in my bag, so I decided to plug and drill two I have: Marvel-S and a Xeno. I figure they should drive through the pins better than a urethane. Don't know when I will actually get to try them out. Drilled the Marvel-S to 75 x 2.25 x 40 (considered 80 x 2.25 x 45...), but haven't drilled the Xeno until I see how the Marvel-S works out.
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

steve s wrote: June 20th, 2020, 7:01 pm ...I have found the amount of side rotation still dictated how much back end you create ...no matter how much the ball flares...i have a physix with a 11/2 in pin and I can play up 8 or swing 4th arrow to 10 and have a hard time keeping it on the right side...
Interesting. I redrilled my Messenger Ti with a 2 inch pin to pap, and it also still hooked a lot. So how do we make it tame? Maybe the VAL angle needs to be larger?
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
Smb1hoods

Post by Smb1hoods »

Midpreformance wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:11 pm Hello all! What is everyone’s favorite balls to use a shorter pin layout on?! I am looking to stick with an asymmetrical ball but definitely give it a weaker motion down lane and have it be more controllable. Thank you! Ok

I think the best ball for short pin is a big core with a slow cover, combine that with a short pin that controls flare and it is very predictable and readable...
Smb1hoods

Post by Smb1hoods »

Midpreformance wrote: June 15th, 2020, 9:11 pm Hello all! What is everyone’s favorite balls to use a shorter pin layout on?! I am looking to stick with an asymmetrical ball but definitely give it a weaker motion down lane and have it be more controllable. Thank you! Ok

I think the best ball for short pin is a big core with a slow cover, combine that with a short pin that controls flare and it is very predictable and readable...