Short Pin layout ball to mimic urethane

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Short Pin layout ball to mimic urethane

Post by krava »

I have watched a few videos on this and don't have an understanding on a few things.

A ball that is drilled with a short pin isn't the same as a ball drilled for low flare or is it? (I have a match and a match pearl I told them to drill low flare, so does that mean they drilled it with a short pin?)
When we are talking about short pin, we aren't talking about the length of the pins right? not like 3" pin in a ball 1" pin in a ball. We are talking about the distance from like the pin to a spot on the ball when drilled?

What kind of ball on what kind of condition would you have drilled up. From what I see, a short pin drilled ball is used to control the backend when the backend is getting really jumpy and moving too much. Would it be you need a heavy coverstock ball on a heavy oil lane, medium on medium condition etc just like if you were bowling normally?

I don't have urethane and want something that acts like it. The closest I have to it is a BTU. SO if I get a short pin drilled ball, do I need to worry about how it is drilled other then the short pin thing? and if you could only have 1 ball with that layout on it, what would it be? Asy or symmetric? and what strength? It looks like alot of short pin balls are pretty strong. Or do I need to wait on this until this coronavirus thing is over with because we might not even have league for awhile? The bowling alley is suppose to open up friday and I havent' shot in 3 months or so.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Short Pin layout ball to mimic urethane

Post by MegaMav »

Smb1hoods

Re: Short Pin layout ball to mimic urethane

Post by Smb1hoods »

I have two short pins...
A notorious that has a big core (asym) and a slow cover...
It was way too early til it picked up lame shine but now rolls very much like a urethane in my opinion...
It ignores the front and has a smooth consistent arch to the pocket.... dumbs the lane down incredibly
The other is a short pin squatch hybrid which also ignores the fronts but then makes a very decisive move off the back ends...
The key to shorter pins for me is they only work well when you are able to play straighter angles....