New Ball Recommendation

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Awinnie54

New Ball Recommendation

Post by Awinnie54 »

I am looking for some new ball recommendations. I have really only been bowling consistently for the last 6-8 Months and am looking to expand my game a bit. I throw the ball in the 15-16mph range with relatively lower revs in the 200-250rpm range. I currently use a Halo Pearl and i've had to take a 3000 pad to it in order to get the motion I was looking for on the ball. I typically play up the right side anywhere between the first and second arrows. With the OTB surface the ball was just going too long and never really making it's motion back toward the pocket. The problem I am running into now is not really being able to make the move left in the third game of league when the lanes seem to really dry up. Any recommendations for balls that could potentially give me some more length at the end of the night without going too long due to the low rev rate?
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: New Ball Recommendation

Post by krava »

That is a complicated question there, if you are sure they are dry on the outside I would recommend a hustle ink drilled pin down That is what I used monday when the lanes dried up around in that spot. I balled down from a Game breaker 3 to that. But this week we bowled where no one was using plastic balls. Last week there was alot of people with plastic (created a lot of carry down in the track area). My ball stopped reacting and I moved left twice (3-2 or 2-2) each time and I couldn't get the ball to turn the corner. I balled up twice from a GB 3 to a supersonic to a conspiracy and still couldn't get it to turn the corner. I ended up split after split usually a 1 2 4 10. I had to jump back right around the 2nd arrow with the Hustle ink and struck out in the 10th for a 168 (no tap) game which left me in complete shock (approx -120 under average). So the point here is even if you change balls etc throwing in the same spot, it might not be the right decision to change balls. I should have moved my breakpoint in from 6-8 to maybe 10-12 or something and see if it would have turned the corner.

Ignore that choice in ball. IF you are using a halo pearl, the hustle ink will probably go as long or longer. You need a solid ball to try to combat that with (something that starts earlier like a solid asym). Something with more grit that will read the lane earlier. If that doesn't work, bring your breakpoint in. If that doesn't work, then go back right with a weaker ball like the hustle ink. So you could use a UFO probably (3rd arrow) if you have enough oil where you are playing and maybe try to slow it down 1/2mph to 1 mph slower if you can (do this with your feet). You could also try to get around the ball more when you throw it if you know how to do that.

I just read your post again. You are saying in one spot, that it is going too long and never making it back toward the pocket. Then at the end you are saying you want more length but don't want it going too long. To me that is contradicting yourself. If i am reading this right, you are asking for something that gives even more length then the halo pearl but the halo pearl is going too long as it is, unless you are talking about a different ball you want it going further down. I think someone else needs to comment on this, not trying to confuse you but I think something is written wrong somewhere.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Awinnie54 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 3:59 am I am looking for some new ball recommendations. I have really only been bowling consistently for the last 6-8 Months and am looking to expand my game a bit. I throw the ball in the 15-16mph range with relatively lower revs in the 200-250rpm range. I currently use a Halo Pearl and i've had to take a 3000 pad to it in order to get the motion I was looking for on the ball. I typically play up the right side anywhere between the first and second arrows. With the OTB surface the ball was just going too long and never really making it's motion back toward the pocket. The problem I am running into now is not really being able to make the move left in the third game of league when the lanes seem to really dry up. Any recommendations for balls that could potentially give me some more length at the end of the night without going too long due to the low rev rate?
Welcome to BowlingChat

If you are set on getting another ball you might as well get another Halo Pearl and keep it shiny.
A good 2 ball set will have one dull and one shiny.
Experiment with even lower grits on your original one for dialing in the strength between the two.
At this point use the same layout on the new ball, let the difference between shiny and dull differentiate them.

Or...
Check out this link and find out all of your release specs and a layout can be determined that will maximize your effort...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Eric,
Where is a good place to start with that surface separation?
The Halo Pearl has an angular ball motion, and you could keep it shiny in the 4000-5000-5500 grit range.
Would you start out with the dull being in the 1500-2000-3000 grit range, or even lower?
Is 4000-to-2000 a good place to start?
I have fiddled with my pearl pair, and I have been hovering around 2000 and 3000 for my lane conditions.
I expected the separation to be greater.
However, I have different layouts that also separates this pair.
Sometimes that works well and sometimes not so much.
Glenn
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

We already know 3000 is liked by Awinnie54 and I am guessing there is a compromise with the surface to try to keep the ball playable in the 3rd game.
I would have enough surface on it to dictate a ball change after the first game. 1000 grit is where I would start.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand