can anyone recommend a ball for my wife

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

can anyone recommend a ball for my wife

Post by BrokenArrow »

Right now she is throwing a 14 pound venom recoil and honestly I think it might be too much ball for her, or maybe too heavy.

She is about 100 pounds soaking wet and not a very active bowler, but she'll go with me from time to time.

I've never had her clocked but she can't be throwing more then 10mph and she has a big sweeping hook where I SWEAR it's going in the gutter and then it bites and hooks and usually ends up in the face. She averages around 100-110.

I'm wondering if maybe I should move her down to a 12-13 so she can possibly get alittle more speed on the ball. Or if maybe I should look into something that might start alittle later so she doesn't end up in the face so much.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: can anyone recommend a ball for my wife

Post by 44boyd »

My wife is the same, started her off at 12lbs and a wrist brace. She liked the Storm Crux because it moved with her 9 mph better than her tropical breeze
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: can anyone recommend a ball for my wife

Post by kajmk »

Excerpt from Ron Clifton Tip #14

"The first thing I check when trying to pick a ball weight is the persons wrist strength. I have them hold the ball down by their side with their wrist relaxed. Then I ask them to cup their wrist forward. They should be able to hold that position for a slow count to 10 or the ball is too heavy. This goes for men and women. I have seen a lot of men and women that could fire a 15 or even 16LB ball down the lane but can not pass my wrist test with them. If you can't pass the wrist test, then you can't have a good strong release or much versatility in releases. I know there are a lot of senior bowlers out there that would be much happier with a 14lb ball, but are struggling along with a 15 or 16 because they are afraid they would loose too much carry. Fear no more. The ball technology is here today. Just visit your local pro shop."

Full article by Ron Clifton
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John