Should I get' the phase 3?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

Should I get' the phase 3?

Post by BrokenArrow »

As any one who read my previous post knows, I have been struggling alot with leaving ringing ten pins. I was talking to my local pro-shop owner today and he kept telling me over and over that I need to get my ball to start just a second sooner and it would face up better and I would carry. I spent most of my day trying to shape my astro-physics to hook in alittle harder. If I go slower with my speed it would face up better but it was about a 50/50 ratio of absolutely beautiful strike and big split through the face.

My pro-shop guy recommended either sanding my astro down alittle or getting a phase 3. I think I would rather get the phase 3 just because I like my astro and I think I could use it as a game 3 ball when the lanes break down alittle. I have been reading review after review about the phase 3 and one of them literally says " if you want something that starts a second sooner then the astro, this is the ball."

It almost seems like Cinderella's glass slipper for me to buy this ball. My stats again are - 16-16.5 mph, 450ish rev rate, no thumb, righty.

Am I expecting to much out of this new ball? Should I just try to shape my astro better, or will the phase 3 be just what I'm looking for?
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Should I get' the phase 3?

Post by 44boyd »

Get a solid cover stock if you want something to read sooner. Astro Physix is a strong asymmetrical, not a good ball for the third game. They’re hard to control when the lanes dry up. Like Eric has stated before, it’s a lane play problem more than the ball
Last edited by 44boyd on December 17th, 2019, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

I am absolutely horrid with solid cover stocks. I don't know exactly what I do wrong but I can't bowl to save my life with anything other then pearls. Solids usually don't hook for me and even if they do they burn up and hit the pins like they weigh 2 pounds not 15.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Because you need to move left
Stacy
sportcoupe
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by sportcoupe »

I normally knock the shine off of Storm Pearls with a 4000 or 3000 pad by hand.

I have both the AstroPhysix and the Phaze III. I have both at the Factory finish 1500 Polish (for now). The R3S hybrid cover on the Phaze III picks up earlier, but it also responds to friction quicker. It forced me to move feet and target LEFT of the AstroPhysix.

That said... I really like my Code Black (R2S Pearl Cover) at 3000. That's my go to Asym on a THS
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

sportcoupe wrote: December 17th, 2019, 3:43 pm I normally knock the shine off of Storm Pearls with a 4000 or 3000 pad by hand.

I have both the AstroPhysix and the Phaze III. I have both at the Factory finish 1500 Polish (for now). The R3S hybrid cover on the Phaze III picks up earlier, but it also responds to friction quicker. It forced me to move feet and target LEFT of the AstroPhysix.

That said... I really like my Code Black (R2S Pearl Cover) at 3000. That's my go to Asym on a THS
Does the phaze 3 hit in the back end like the Astro? I absolutely love the way my astro turns the corner I just wish it would start a second sooner so I would stop leaving ring tens.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

BrokenArrow wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm Does the phaze 3 hit in the back end like the Astro? I absolutely love the way my astro turns the corner I just wish it would start a second sooner so I would stop leaving ring tens.
Why are you buying a ball for a small change?
Move your feet or add a touch of surface to the ball with a 4000 siaair pad.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

The “Nord” effect
Stacy
skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out

Post by skfboiler »

Not sure why your pro shop recommended the Phaze 3 for your ringing 10 problem. I threw mine for the first time in practice and this ball goes long and strong. It is as angular as all get out. And mine is drilled pin down, pin below my middle finger(right handed). Yeah like others said you will need to slow the response time a bit, sanding the AstroPhysix or a ball with some surface. When I start leaving 10 pins, since I’m right handed, I move my feet about 3 boards left and come around the ball a little more at the release. For example, picture a clock. I release my thumb at 12:00 normally. When I start leaving 10 pins, I move my left 3 boards and release my thumb at 11:00-ish. This increases the axis rotation just enough to improve the entry angle to the pocket. It’s amazing when you see this work.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
sportcoupe

Post by sportcoupe »

BrokenArrow wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm Does the phaze 3 hit in the back end like the Astro? I absolutely love the way my astro turns the corner I just wish it would start a second sooner so I would stop leaving ring tens.
It's a different shape than the AstroPhysix. Phaze III is quicker and sharper off the friction. I have mine drilled with a 5 1/2" pin (pin up, closer to the middle finger) to mellow it out a touch. I will more than likely take the cover down to 3K to get it to mellow out a little more. Also, I've found that the Phaze III needs to see a little oil on the heads. This means I end up moving my feet and my target left. It's a completely different look from the Astrophysix.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

All ten pins, ringing or not are caused by deflection. It sounds like your ball is not getting to the roll phase soon enough. Learn about the three phases of ball motion (skid, hook, roll) and develop an eye for watching your ball transition from skid to hook and then from hook to roll. Watch it leave the pin deck. Is it splitting the 8-9 or leaving the pin deck to the right (for a right hander)?

Hint, the roll phase is when you see all those pretty colors rev up faster before the ball hits the pins.

You don’t want your ball hooking into the pins, you want it rolling into them. In order to strike, a bowling ball needs to slow down.

How accurate are you at hitting your breakpoint. Have someone video you or stand at 40 feet by the mechanic’s walkway at a corner lane so that they can verify your accuracy at the breakpoint or better yet, search for a center with Specto and find out how much you vary in launch angle and speed. If you are accurate enough then consider a new ball, if not then add some surface and focus on your physical game so that you can achieve less variation from shot to shot on speed and launch angle...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

Just to follow up on my own post, I did end up getting the phaze 3 today. My first time using it out of the box I started with the front 8 and ended with a 251 after leaving a nasty split in the 9th. Second game was a 238 and last was a 201.

I LOVE this ball. It is angular as hell and seems to push just a little bit more then the Astro-physics and gets the ten out so much better for me. It held well for me when I got alittle inside and charged back when I missed alittle outside. I am in love. I can see this being the first ball out of my bag for a while to come. I normally stay around 580-620 and my first time ever touching this ball was a 690.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I didn't read any of this but I thought about getting the Phase 3 since the 2 is such a good sport pattern ball I believe. I looked up the review of this on bowlingthismonth and it is horrid for sport patterns.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I didn't read any of this
REALLY? You jump on a thread, don't read it, and then post that you've heard negative things (not that you KNOW, only that you've heard. . .) when if you'd have read the thread, you'd see the balanced discussion about it.

C'mon, Krava. We don't jump on your threads, NOT read them, and then give you cockamamy non-advice . . .
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

sorry about that boomer. Since this post was over a month old, I thought it was done and he got what he wanted out of it and I didn't want to start a new topic about that ball. I have been waiting for the phase III for months to come out. The phase II was out forever and I waited until this is out and then I am completely disappointed by the review of it. Don't get me wrong, this ball could be good for brokenarrow since it is on a house shot. I was just mainly stating a fact about the ball that people might not know unless they have bowlingthismonth or researched it.

I have read all of the comments on this. I have to agree with 44boyd from the start. I don't like a pearl on the last game because the oil has moved around alot. You might have patches of oil, patches of dry and need something to blend it out more. I perfer something with more control. I bowled after the women's league tonight and used the GB3 and had pretty good reaction.

If I am leaving a 10 pin over and over again, I don't usually do a ball change unless I notice that the ball is not rolling right. I would move a board left take a tad off the speed and maybe get the ball out just a little bit more to the right of where my breakpoint is to get a little more angle. A ball change could work but you have to understand that if you do a ball change, you haven't thrown 1 shot with this new ball and don't know exactly how it will react on the lane. You might know how it reacts compared to your other ball. But your other ball that you are about to put up, you have been throwing shots with and know exactly how it is reacting on the lane.

There were alot of comments like tonyPR about making sure it is rolling into the pocket with the proper roll phase etc.

again i just posted the thing about the phase III to vent a little about the ball instead of posting a new topic about it. Just think about something you wanted for months and months and then finally it is out and then you find something bad about it. That is how I was last night.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

You misread my post, I don’t like strong asymmetrical pearls for the third game. I’m for symmetrical pearls as they dry up because they’re smoother off the spot but still get back. He was wanting his stronger ball (Astrophysix) for the third game.
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

I actually ended up switching back to my astro as my go to ball. The phaze 3 is alittle too unpredictable for me. It has a VERY strong backend motion and tends to almost always over hook for me. I cant keep it right of the headpin unless I stand in the left gutter.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Play with the surface to smooth it out
Stacy