Sanding a pearl ball to make it dull with more grit.

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Sanding a pearl ball to make it dull with more grit.

Post by jdrsuper »

I bowled today at my local ABT and Lo and behold they put out the 2013 PBA Badger which is 52 feet of oil. I'm a senior bowler (79) will slow ball speed and use 12 lb equipment all Pearl except for plastic and urethane. My two strongest balls are the Storm Intense and the Track Logix. Most weeks there is not much oil and rarely is the pattern longer than 42 feet. I couldn't get much of a wrinkle from either the Logix or the Intense. My regular PSO is at Bowl Expo and wont be back in time to help me. The reason I'm asking this question is because next week there is a two day tournament at the same house and they will be putting out the Badger again. I rarely use the Intense but did today and cashed but want to improve my chances by taking the Intense down to 360 and making it as dull as possible. Is this feasible? Thanks in advance for any help with this. I'll have to use another PSO that I use from time to time since my regular guy is at bowl Expo and wont be back in time.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Sanding a pearl ball to make it dull with more grit.

Post by EricHartwell »

Sanding a pearl is definitely an option. Many people think a pearl needs to be shiny. I have found they play well with surface on them.

360 grit is extreme. The only reason I would sand a ball to 360 would be for a full resurfacing.
500 grit is the lowest I would go.
I would have a 2nd ball at 1500 grit for when the line starts to breakdown to have a ball to transition to.
Then if the lanes breakdown far enough you have one of your shiny pearls ready to roll for the burn.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

EricHartwell wrote:Sanding a pearl is definitely an option. Many people think a pearl needs to be shiny. I have found they play well with surface on them.

360 grit is extreme. The only reason I would sand a ball to 360 would be for a full resurfacing.
I would have a 2nd ball at 1500 grit for when the line starts to breakdown to have a ball to transition to.
Then if the lanes breakdown far enough you have one of your shiny pearls ready to roll for the burn.
Eric,
As always you help me and Thanks. I will sand the Intense to 500 and the Logix to 1500. All my other equipment is too weak and I'll leave then for the 42 ft and under sport shots.
Joel Resnick

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

That ball at 500 grit is probably going to scan at 2000 by end game one and 4000 after three games so I don’t see the logic in having a ball at 1500 to ball down to.
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
jdrsuper

Post by jdrsuper »

davidjr113 wrote:That ball at 500 grit is probably going to scan at 2000 by end game one and 4000 after three games so I don’t see the logic in having a ball at 1500 to ball down to.
Davidjr113,

My PSO is back from Bowl Expo and knows my game and he agrees that after one game it might be 2000 or a little less but agrees that it will be probably 4000 after three. So he took the Storm Intense to 360 and the Track Logix to 1000. He knows I clean my balls but rarely sand them. He told me that if I want a ball to stay at a certain grit (say 1000) than after a three game set or a tournament, I must sand the ball to 1000 and If I don't then I'll probably be bowling with 4000 grit. I told him I have some abralon pads and will get some more to cover 360 to 4000 and be ready to to it before I bowl league or a tournament depending on what ball I need. Thanks for the info.
Joel Resnick

ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

EricHartwell wrote:Sanding a pearl is definitely an option. Many people think a pearl needs to be shiny. I have found they play well with surface on them.

360 was the surface of choice on a few Jr Gold patterns this year. Well maybe not choice, but there were lots of comments on FB and other places stating that 360 for quite a few bowlers came into play

My son included on the 50' pattern
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....