sweating out the bowling ball

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

sweating out the bowling ball

Post by Kiani »

Dear All

I wanted to know that is it still practical and does it still work if we "Sweat the ball out"??

Meaning that we put the ball in a very warm place like under the summer sun for few hours and the ball starts to sweat out the Oils that has been observed by the ball during the usage time.

I have done this in two ways, first I used an almost hot water on the ball covered the holes and placed it in a large bucket and then used the hot water with some cleaners, the result after few times rinsing and cleaning was a very clean ball but I could not say that the Oil inside of the ball really came out of it or not.

Then the second attempt was to put the ball under the sun for few hours, the newspaper and the ball stand was oily and the ball was sweating Oil after cleaning the ball I used it on the line and it seamed to grab the lane much better.

In any case I wanted to share this and see what would you have done if you do not have access to any technology to clean up your bowling ball.

Best regards
H.A.Kiani
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: sweating out the bowling ball

Post by EricHartwell »

Care needs to be taken when using creative ways to heat a ball.
Do not expose a ball to a method that can create a surface temperature of more than 140*

While using the sunshine to heat the ball, it only heats the side facing the sun. I would rotate the ball every few minutes to heat it evenly.

I am not a fan of hot water methods. Reason being that if a ball can absorb oil, it will surely absorb water. Now how do you get all the water out?

I have had my balls in the trunk of my car on a sunny Spring day (70*F). When I pulled the ball out of the bag the surface was slimy with oil. I have never measured the internal temperature of the trunk of my car but I am sure it can get to an Extreme on a hot Summer day.

In the winter time I have put my ball on a heat register in my house and gotten oil out of it. The de-oiling was unintentional the first time I did this. I had left them in the car in below freezing temperatures and was just trying to warm them up to get them ready for bowling that evening.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

Re: sweating out the bowling ball

Post by Kiani »

EricHartwell wrote:Care needs to be taken when using creative ways to heat a ball.
Do not expose a ball to a method that can create a surface temperature of more than 140*

While using the sunshine to heat the ball, it only heats the side facing the sun. I would rotate the ball every few minutes to heat it evenly.

I am not a fan of hot water methods. Reason being that if a ball can absorb oil, it will surely absorb water. Now how do you get all the water out?

I have had my balls in the trunk of my car on a sunny Spring day (70*F). When I pulled the ball out of the bag the surface was slimy with oil. I have never measured the internal temperature of the trunk of my car but I am sure it can get to an Extreme on a hot Summer day.

In the winter time I have put my ball on a heat register in my house and gotten oil out of it. The de-oiling was unintentional the first time I did this. I had left them in the car in below freezing temperatures and was just trying to warm them up to get them ready for bowling that evening.
Dear Erichartwell

Thank you for the reply, I am also not a real fan of using hot water method, and yes I also rotated the ball under the sun another thing is that when you put your ball under the direct heat of the sun it would be a good thing if you cover it with a very lose plastic, for two reasons 1- it will prevent a direct heat 2- an even distribution of heat inside of the plastic and on the bowling ball, this will give you a much better "Sweating"

Also as you mentioned a high heat will just destroy the cover of the ball.

Thank you and wishing you the best.
H.A.Kiani