Release Specs Done from IRTC need heavy oil symetric ball

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Release Specs Done from IRTC need heavy oil symetric ball

Post by krava »

I keep getting people wanting me to figure out spec such as tilt, axis etc. I called the IRTC and set an appointment for Saturday. They have 9-10 balls that you can use with the bowler ID in them. I looked bowler ID up in a search in here and got something that had a ton of bad comments about it. Is bowler ID a bad thing and you shouldn't trust it? That is the last remark that someone said and then Mo highlighted it and said something about it also.

The IRTC wants $75 for the measurements and it is a 3 hour drive 1 way there.
Last edited by krava on March 31st, 2019, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Re: Bowler ID for doing release specs from IRTC

Post by MeNoRevs »

krava wrote:I keep getting people wanting me to figure out spec such as tilt, axis etc. I called the IRTC and set an appointment for Saturday. They have 9-10 balls that you can use with the bowler ID in them. I looked bowler ID up in a search in here and got something that had a ton of bad comments about it. Is bowler ID a bad thing and you shouldn't trust it? That is the last remark that someone said and then Mo highlighted it and said something about it also.

The IRTC wants $75 for the measurements and it is a 3 hour drive 1 way there.
I have Bowlers ID, and once they did the upgrade to the USB sensor, it works a lot better. Works even better if you can put it in one of your own balls instead of using the demo ones.

$75 does not seem outrageous at ITRC. You can call around to pro shops in your area to see if they have it and it will probably cost a little less.
krava
Probation
Probation

Re: Bowler ID for doing release specs from IRTC

Post by krava »

hopefully the demo ones have a good fit, if not it can't be correct. I don't mind the price if it is done correctly. gas wil be almost $50 to get there but there is not anywhere close.
krava
Probation
Probation

Re: Release Specs Done from IRTC need heavy oil symetric b

Post by krava »

I just got back from Dallas, They didn't use the bowler id. Lou Marquez, coach and proshop person over there did it by hand. He says that away is more accurate.

https://i.postimg.cc/RVTj2DY7/scan-page-0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the spec sheet of everything possible that can be written down.

My thumb had an enlarged callus on it so I had to use the ball that was redrilled from here and we didn't find out until results were in that the 2nd finger span was way off so I only could lift from the middle finger. Because of this the rev rate might be a little low. I was shocked when I heard it and I don't know how he got the numbers I should have asked.

Results are this:
Ball Speed 19.3 MPH at release but can do 17MPH range (might have thrown it a tad fast there)
275-290 RPMS ( I still say 350 atleast with a ball drilled right)
Axis Tilt 13%
Axis of Rotation 50 Degrees
PAP is 5 1/8 by 3/4 UP

Looking for a heavy oil symmetric ball if I go to Nationals. I am looking at a Hammer Scandal /s Or a Storm Phaze II. But will take any other ideas. MY idea is to start with a hammer Ripped, then go to the scandal then drop down to a ebonite game breaker 3 with 1000 gritt on it, then maybe go down to a Storm Match solid low flare with 1000 gritt on it.

More info

The only positive thing about the experience was that after I threw the ball the 3rd time he said "You throw the ball good". then he told me to look at the guy to my left in the red shirt and told me how most people get too much rotation and try to get around the ball to get hook. He said the ball is spinning in the wrong direction from the start. He said I have a "pro like release" and not to change anything. I have only been throwing the ball decently for about 3 weeks (decently meaning the way it comes off my hand, lets not talk about anything other then that because there is work that needs to be done). I asked him is my rev rate ok and he didn't give me an answer for that. (atleast I don't get lied to. I thought I was in the 400's.) He told me my ball speed is too fast and I need to slow it down to around 16.5 off the hand. I threw another shot and it went down to 17.6 and I don't feel comfortable at this time to throw anything lower speed then that and be accurate. I can work on it but at this time no. He talked about how everyone thinks wes mallot has a lot of revs but he said he has around 290 but he just throws the ball at 16 something and it makes it look like he does. He says it is very difficult to change rev rate because your wrist has to be trained and grown into or whatever he said.

He also said that I have a little stiffness in my 2nd finger. So the problems with the balls I have drilled up is that I need an oval shaped thumb and also I need more left lateral pitch and that is why I am getting a callus on my thumb. He says I need to stay with balls that have surface on them and stay away from shinny balls. That is why I guess I don't like pearls. But he did say a dull pearl could outhook a dull ball, depends on what is going on.

I will get video tomorrow and get them to put the 2017 national pattern down and throw on it and see what happens. I keep reading that people who did good there used a 900 global breakout and I am not sure what that is but it looks to have a low rating. I think higher rev people might have used it from this thing: https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... d-success/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

You think you have 350 revs and can’t move past second arrow? Come on man, at least you know you need stronger equipment.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I think I might be thinking ball motion and not revs. I look at a video and I say, my ball rolls just like that and then I look at the rev rate. That is probably not the best way to do it. To go left, ball speed has to go down. Also rev rate is low because I have very bad leverage position at release. Even with that,once my timing is fixed, the axis tilt and rotation should stay constant hopefully. I just watched a video and it talked about how the slide foot needs to be flat on the floor when the swing is parallel to the floor. I will go back to work on 1 step drills to try to fix that but that is another matter.

I don't think a scandal/s is a good choice because from what I read on bowlingball.com the motion of the ball is that it has a stronger backend. If someone was to use a scandal/s as a "ball down ball", then it would probably need to be drilled low flare and pin down.

The storm Phaze II looks like a better choice. It is a strong even arc. I am not sure how this should be drilled though. Keep in mind that the backends will be jumpy and or that I want this ball also for like a shorter oil pattern.

Another option is a Rotogrip Idol

I have read some Idol vs Phaze II here: https://www.ballreviews.com/storm/oil-h ... i-vs-idol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think an Idol would be a good Fresh heavy oil ball over the Phase II. But I think a phase II might be a better "sport shot bowling ball".

Looking at BTM magazine a Game breaker 3 is close to the Idol, I have a GB3. The Phaze II gets more length then either of those though. I used the GB3 today at the IRTC and it was a Red Pattern with I think 28.57ml of oil on it and the ball rolled good at factory finish with 6-9 games already bowled on it. I don't know how many ML oil the other place will be though. But being speed dominate, would you want a ball that rolls earlier or later.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Get your layouts you currently have measured with your new PAP, I’m sure Eric(s) can help you fill a hole from there.
Stacy