Stealth Balance Holes legal?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

vicsmyth

Stealth Balance Holes legal?

Post by vicsmyth »

Under the new USBC rules, I suppose that it is still legal to drill the finger holes or thumb hole 4" deep and get some of the effects of a balance hole? From what I understand drilling the ring finger deeper has a similar effect to a P1 balance hole.

But can a second hole be drilled in the thumb at an extreme angle to get a similar effect to a P4 balance hole? If you have an 1-1/4" thumb hole and use an insert, you could drill a 3/4" or maybe 1" hole in the same hole with a 2" or 3" lateral pitch which should intersect where a P4 balance hole would be at the core.

I have not experimented with this, so I'm not sure that it would have the intended result. But is it legal under the new rules?

And if it isn't legal, how can it be detected? What about people who will plug a balance hole and add some extra weight, like rebar. Will the USBC xray balls in addition to weighing them on dodo scales?
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Stealth Balance Holes legal?

Post by snick »

It is an undetectable internal void. It's illegal, but probably impossible to detect.
The only way I can see that this could be prevented would be to require removable IT thumbs instead of glued in slugs.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º